Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Any updates on this? Any idea when they will start to lay some tar down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

glineli wrote: »
    Any updates on this? Any idea when they will start to lay some tar down?

I'd say not much has happened in the last 2 weeks since my updates maybe the shanaglish overbridge is open to traffic perhaps. It's likely they will start laying some very soon although work on the overbridges is heavily concentrated at the minute.

When I was gathering the October updates I came across a castle along the tubber to gort road. From looking at the scheme map I found that it is called "fiddaun castle" very close to the rathwilladoon overbridge location which of course has to be started yet. I think it is tall enough to be seen from the motorway.

44959566_d134eafd54.jpg?v=0

This is a fine early 16th century tower standing in a bawn.
    The ground and third floors are vaulted, and there are mullioned windows
    and a fine fireplace on the 3rd floor. The six-sided bawn is one of the best
    preserved in the country, and the projecting angle in the west wall,
    constructed so as to have a wider range of fire, is probably imitated from
    the star-shaped forts. Nearby are the ruins of a contemporary gatehouse.

The castle was one of three built and owned by the O'Shaughnessy family.
    They are known to have lived in it in 1574, and they continued to own it until
    the family estates were confiscated in 1697, forcing the then owner, Colonel
    William O'Shaughnessy, to flee to France for safety.

ref

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

AFAIK Roadbridge have never tendered with Wills Bros. Roadbridge's usual partner are Sisk/Lagan. Wills usually go in with SIAC for their JV's.

BTW it's SIAC/Wills doing the N18 Crusheen-Gort. My experiences of Wills wouldn't have been the mae west in the past.

Could you give me a heads up about wills, as i need to talk to them about some work which needs to be done on some of my land where they are passing. what problems did you have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The scheme has a 'scheme office' somewhere ( ring Clare County Council Roads ) and in that office there is a Land Liason officer to whom you should write , give them 48 hours to read the letter and then ring .

EDIT , ring the Galway NRA Office in Ballybrit as they designed it . If it is a particular wan I am thinking of she has no ( or worse) social skills so deal with her in writing .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The scheme has a 'scheme office' somewhere ( ring Clare County Council Roads ) and in that office there is a Land Liason officer to whom you should write , give them 48 hours to read the letter and then ring .

EDIT , ring the Galway NRA Office in Ballybrit as they designed it . If it is a particular wan I am thinking of she has no ( or worse) social skills so deal with her in writing .

The scheme office is somewhere along the tubber to gort road. AFAIR its not far from the crossover about 4 or 5km south of Gort on that road. It's not not hard to to miss with big security signs all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

AFAIK the site offices are on the back road south out of Gort, (not the N18) after passing the mart it's on your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

tech2 wrote: »
    When I was gathering the October updates I came across a castle along the tubber to gort road. From looking at the scheme map I found that it is called "fiddaun castle" very close to the rathwilladoon overbridge location which of course has to be started yet. I think it is tall enough to be seen from the motorway.

44959566_d134eafd54.jpg?v=0

ref

Good Geocache site :D

Good Geocache site :D

I had to google "Geocache" to figure that one out. :D

I have a GPS but never use it.

The Shanaglish to Carhoon rd is closed until Friday 18th of December for the construction of the Shanaglish overbridge which is close to completion.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/Methodsofnetworkcontrol/TemporaryClosures/TheFile,10478,en.pdf

Meanwhile the Rathwilladoon rd is closed until 17th September 2010 which is the rathwilladoon overbridge that passes through the boundaries of a turlough. It has yet to start construction.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/Methodsofnetworkcontrol/TemporaryClosures/TheFile,10479,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

The Shanaglish to Carhoon rd is closed until Friday 18th of December for the construction of the Shanaglish overbridge which is close to completion.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/Methodsofnetworkcontrol/TemporaryClosures/TheFile,10478,en.pdf

Meanwhile the Rathwilladoon rd is closed until 17th September 2010 which is the rathwilladoon overbridge that passes through the boundaries of a turlough. It has yet to start construction.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/Methodsofnetworkcontrol/TemporaryClosures/TheFile,10479,en.pdf

Hopefully the DC will be open whiler they are completing works on this Rathwilladoon rd

Was on the gort to tubber road last night and new overpass isnt open yet.

Was on the gort to tubber road last night and new overpass isnt open yet.

Cheers glineli I'd like to keep tabs on this one as well. As they had to realign a long stretch of road it is taking a while to complete. The shorter overbridges like the Lahardan one will open before it.

If you ever want to check out the Shanaglish overbridge it's at the only crossroads south of the gort to tubber overbridge on the gort to tubber rd. It says road closed so the best time would be to check it is on a Sunday when no construction is taking place. It's very near to completion as seen on my first pic on the previous page.

Was talking to someone in the shop in Crusheen. there are around 65 lads being laid off tomorrow as most of the earthworks done. They are beginning to lay tar after christmas, so prob first week in the new year. They are saying if everything goes well the road would be open in June!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any overbridges open yet?

None yet that i have found. I will have another drive around on sunday and see whats the story

Was talking to someone in the shop in Crusheen. there are around 65 lads being laid off tomorrow as most of the earthworks done. They are beginning to lay tar after christmas, so prob first week in the new year. They are saying if everything goes well the road would be open in June!!!:eek:

Excellent :D Ties in nicely with any minor delays and timing for Galway Races 2010.

Furet wrote: »
    Any overbridges open yet?

Shanaglish overbridge should open in 2 weeks max. It could be open now but I havnt been there for nearly 3 weeks.

June would be a very close one. I have doubts of it opening in June tbh. The rathwilladoon overbridge has yet to start and some major draining taking place still.

Shanaglish overbridge should open in 2 weeks max. It could be open now but I havnt been there for nearly 3 weeks.

June would be a very close one. I have doubts of it opening in June tbh. The rathwilladoon overbridge has yet to start and some major draining taking place still.

Yeah i think june is just too tight, but end of july for the races, yes!!:D

I am astonished that this job will seemingly be finished for the races which is well under 2 years since award of contract ...and surely a record .

The only predictions I have outstanding were that the M7/M8 scheme and the M6 Galway Ballinasloe schemes would be done in time for the Galway races. I am pretty confident that I am right there just as I was with Ahhlone to Ballinasloe as you may all recall :p

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am astonished that this job will seemingly be finished for the races which is well under 2 years since award of contract ...and surely a record .

The only predictions I have outstanding were that the M7/M8 scheme and the M6 Galway Ballinasloe would be done in time for the Galway races.

It will finished easily before September at least which I predicted originally but have changed it to August since as I'm very conservative with my predictions(dont like to get peoples hopes up for a crazy early opening). I've seen the entire scheme now a few times and the progress is still rapid. All bar 1 of the overbridges are substantially complete in structure but roads need to be realigned for these and embarkment done.

I cant see it opening for June though. It would be a major achievement if they did finish it by then.

J13 of the M18 being discussed about here after an accident which had absolutely nothing to do with it. Although apparently the woman who died in the accident went ghostriding from J14 northbound carriageway heading south.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703202

That happened a few weeks ago. She went out the tulla road from ennis and exited at the first roundabout.
    By the time the gardai arrived on the scene she had already crashed.

The concrete barrier is going to be constructed on the M18 Gort to Crusheen scheme. See below:
    Mr ----,

The NRA Inspector for the scheme has confirmed that it is going to be a concrete median barrier.

Regards
    ----

The NRA DMRB 2009 Amendments document can be found here:

http://www.nra.ie/RepositoryforPublicationsInfo/file,16152,en.pdf

On the first page (NRA DMRB Vol 2 - Part 2.2.8A NRA TD19 Safety Barriers), Revision 1 states the all barriers in the central reserve of Type 1 DCs and Motorways must be constructed from concrete.

Hope this helps!

Revision of the working width requirements at bridge piers in central reserves to
    permit concrete barriers to be to be wrapped around bridge piers in central reserves

Does this mean bulgey carriageways or not? Seems a bit ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Does this mean bulgey carriageways or not? Seems a bit ambiguous.

AFAIK in the latest standards it is possible to incorporate the bridge pier into the concrete barrier, thus eliminating the need to split the barrier. The standard 600mm barrier is gradually widened to 1.5m (same as the pier diameter) either side of the pier.

Updates:

The first overbridge opened to traffic on the Gort to Crusheen scheme.

It is the shanaglish overbridge which I mentioned previously that would open during this month. I have photos but must find the usb cable to upload them.

The R460 overbridge is close to completion, minor delays are occuring due to one lane system in operation near the tie in with R460 road. Asphalt was being laid on the Gortavoher overbridge which is also close to completion.

The Gort to Tubber overbridge wont be finished until early next year by the looks of it.

A few November updates:

Shanaglish overbridge(first overbridge to open to traffic)

DSC02840.jpg

Looking north, drainage taking place

DSC02841.jpg

Looking south

DSC02842.jpg

fidduan castle from Shanaglish overbridge

DSC02843.jpg

I would accept such an offer were they to throw in a Tuam and Claregalway bypass while they were at it .

• Advertisement

Some unusual traffic on the M18 yesterday evening!
    Clare - Slow down on the M18 Ennis/Shannon Rd as there are deer running across the motorway

Updated: 03/12/2009 17:56:02
    A number of incidents have already occured near the Dromoland exit.

Link

This is quite serious though. Is there adequate fencing in place to stop animals of this kind from entering the motorway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement