Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Doubt it. The Crusheen junction and the narrow bit of road would be a terrible danger sandwiched between two bits of motorway. I reckon this will open in one section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Does anyone know when they plan to lay down the concrete barrier? they seem to be laying down foundations for it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

topper75 wrote: »
    Any hope that they might open the road between say Ballyline and Gort first (I see from photos here that a lot of asphalt is down), and then concentrate on the Ennis bypass tie in separately?

Or is there an obligation to finish the entire thing before cars travel on it?

Also, does dry weather help speed up construction effort, or is it irrelevant?

There will be no chance of opening the road in two sections. It will all have to open together. There is no way the traffic could merge from the old road to the new road at Ballyline. This could only be done at the interchange in Crusheen and it is not designed to take the full flow of traffic that would be expected if it was to open in two sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Sorry...where are these images? cant see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

RyanAsh wrote: »
    Sorry...where are these images? cant see them?

....try going back to page 35;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Looks like the 2 houses in Gort at the corner are about to lose part of their front gardens!!!!

Drove the tubber road to crusheen yesterday, CBM laid both sides now as far as lahadran.

I wonder when will they start on the tie in to the existing M18? They seem to have a lot of the road connecting to the old N18 done, just to connect the bridge. Would they be able to do that overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

clon wrote: »

That's a very informative and well-written document - particularly for a non-industry person like me.

It also settles the question as to how the tie-in with the Ennis bypass will be done.
    Once the surfacing is completed under the new bridge, traffic will then be temporarily diverted under the structure to enable the remaining earthworks to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

I thought it was just PPP companies that were contractually obliged to produce these newsletter things. nice surprise to see the D&B crew adopting same idea

More work on the gort interchange tie in to the existing N18, this morning they were knocking down the wall of the 2 houses on the corner. Looking at the news letter, it is only a matter of weeks away before we are diverted onto the new roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

About 8 weeks away at the earliest;).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have tried to figure this out but how long will it take off the trip from Galway to Shannon?

This will only by pass Gort and Crusheen and the next link from Gort to Galway is in progress?

Thanks, just looking at a potential job in Shannon and trying to figure out the drive from Castlebar to Shannon daily.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

yop wrote: »
    Thanks, just looking at a potential job in Shannon and trying to figure out the drive from Castlebar to Shannon daily.

Jasus, youd be a brave man to attempt a commute from Castlebar!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

123easy wrote: »
    I thought it was just PPP companies that were contractually obliged to produce these newsletter things. nice surprise to see the D&B crew adopting same idea

I wouldn't say its common, but its done. The N7 widening had them and a website from memory.

I have tried to figure this out but how long will it take off the trip from Galway to Shannon?

This will only by pass Gort and Crusheen and the next link from Gort to Galway is in progress?

Well it's not just Crusheen and Gort this road is bypassing more the awful N18 that has a severe lack of overtaking opportunities and is downright dangerous in places. I would hazard a guess of 10-15 mins at least. Peak time much more probably 20-25 mins.

Are you going to commute from Castlebar to Shannon daily? :confused:

I would hazard a guess of 2.5 hrs at the very least and more if you hit the commuter belt that is Tuam to Galway(Claregalway) at the wrong time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tech2 wrote: »
    Well it's not just Crusheen and Gort this road is bypassing more the awful N18 that has a severe lack of overtaking opportunities and is downright dangerous in places. I would hazard a guess of 10-15 mins at least. Peak time much more probably 20-25 mins.

Are you going to commute from Castlebar to Shannon daily? :confused:

I would hazard a guess of 2.5 hrs at the very least and more if you hit the commuter belt that is Tuam to Galway(Claregalway) at the wrong time.

Aye daily I am afraid or MAY stay 1 night. Am married and have family here so I can't move fully.

I have done the drive to the airport in 2 hrs so I MIGHT get there in 2 if thats the case in 2hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Aye daily I am afraid or MAY stay 1 night. Am married and have family here so I can't move fully.

I have done the drive to the airport in 2 hrs so I MIGHT get there in 2 if thats the case in 2hrs.

Don't bother with the N17. It's always mobbed. Go from Castlebar via Ballinrobe, The Neale, Cross, Headford, Galway. When G/C opens you should make it in 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

that's one hell of a commute daily...
    that's 4 hours per day in your car (at least)...
    i don't envy that...
    black47 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the N17. It's always mobbed. Go from Castlebar via Ballinrobe, The Neale, Cross, Headford, Galway. When G/C opens you should make it in 2 hours

Thanks folks but no programming jobs here in Mayo so have to commute it. Galway has the odd job but most seem phantom.

Sorry off topic :)

Well If I have to commute I will have to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks folks but no programming jobs here in Mayo so have to commute it. Galway has the odd job but most seem phantom.

Sorry off topic :)

Well If I have to commute I will have to do it :)

I know guys at work who commute from Claremorris, Salthill and even Waterford :eek: to Athlone

But they work from home 2 days a week so not THAT bad. And one can even work on the train up and back too

Me, id just move if at all possible. Lifes too short to be constantly on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

wonder will the (to be) old N18 through Gort town be fixed now that the commuter traffic will be gone? Drove old N18 Newmarket-On Fergus to Ennis, it's in fine fettle for what's now a regional road!

I can get from Castlebar to Limerick using n17 in 2 hours off peak times (at peak times use n84, take rat run beside Ballindooley stores till you come out on N17, and turn off at the road to Galway Airport and turn for Carnmore Cross near Oranmore) to avoid Claregalway nightmare at rush hour.

Sorry off topic mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks

Do you plan to go via the Derrywash connection & on to the Ballinrobe Rd or go via Tuam ? If via Tuam allow an extra 20 mins. And dont forget about the delays at Claregalway !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but following on from the Claremorris to Shannon question.

What would ye think the commute time from Galway to Shannon will be when this opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

churchview wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but following on from the Claremorris to Shannon question.

What would ye think the commute time from Galway to Shannon will be when this opens?

Galway is a big place! I would say Oranmore Shannon 40-45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

True, coming from west side of the town could add 40-45 to your 40-45:D

Thanks.

black47 wrote: »

Yep your right I was thinking Limerick in 2.5hrs thats what I usually made it coming from Westport. I reckon the quickest way is the N84 to Galway but turn off after Headford onto the N17 before Claregalway called the headfrod rd?, then the usual to the N18 from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I know guys at work who commute from Claremorris, Salthill and even Waterford :eek: to Athlone

But they work from home 2 days a week so not THAT bad. And one can even work on the train up and back too

Me, id just move if at all possible. Lifes too short to be constantly on the road
    I presume that's Salthill in Galway? I used to commute from Westside (right beside Salthill) to Athlone 5 days a week.

Worked out a fair bit cheaper for me to commute. Didn't bother me in the slightest. I love driving and enjoyed my job in Athlone - I actually used to look forward to Monday mornings :eek:
    wonder will the (to be) old N18 through Gort town be fixed now that the commuter traffic will be gone? Drove old N18 Newmarket-On Fergus to Ennis, it's in fine fettle for what's now a regional road!
    I heard that they need to put in a lot of new water pipes and other stuff so they are going to wait until the M18 Gort-Crusheen opens before digging the old N18 through the town and then doing a proper resurface.

Can anyone confirm that though?

I think I might know that Claremorris lad and the work place you are on about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

KevR wrote: »
    I heard that they need to put in a lot of new water pipes and other stuff so they are going to wait until the M18 Gort-Crusheen opens before digging the old N18 through the town and then doing a proper resurface.

I would be inclined to believe that.
    Look at the job they did of Tulla after the Ennis bypass opened, It was like mini-Baghdad before, but it was taking alot of traffic, I used it alot on my run from Cork to Westport 3~4 years back.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »

I was told recently that bord gais need to lay pipes through the town and until that is done they road wont be resurfaced. I am not sure how true that is. I would think you scenario sounds a lot closer to the truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement