Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

topper75 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! Sounds like all is flying ahead! Great load of interesting education material in that article! Whoever wrote it must be very passionate about the road development! :D

Yeah kiwipower, I'm a layman keen to use the road, so a lot of the stuff written here about CBM and bitumen goes over my head. The newsletter explained the process pretty well to common thicks like me :). Sounds like they are striving towards quality, as well as speedy delivery.

I wouldn't mind the mention of a date or two all the same! ;) It's going to be such a joyous drive when the day comes. The only downer is that I fear for the business future of Gort. We are definitely looking at just a few months now anyway for d-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

topper75 wrote: »
    Yeah kiwipower, I'm a layman keen to use the road, so a lot of the stuff written here about CBM and bitumen goes over my head. The newsletter explained the process pretty well to common thicks like me :). Sounds like they are striving towards quality, as well as speedy delivery.

I wouldn't mind the mention of a date or two all the same! ;) It's going to be such a joyous drive when the day comes. The only downer is that I fear for the business future of Gort. We are definitely looking at just a few months now anyway for d-day.

Yeah Im a layperson myself! but love gathering information that I will never use! (like that about the CBM) Cant wait for an openning date either! At least it looks like it should be before the end of the summer!

I dont think it will be bad for Gort business, Id say Im probably typical of most N18 users I fligh up and down between Galway and Limerick, dont have time to stop so dont stop! Am just another car clogging up the main street (or rat run) of Gort! I think it will be better for business because locals and tourists (most of who will prefer to avoid motorways if touring by car) will be able to come into the town, look around park easier, pull out of side streets easier etc.

Look at the likes of Gorey in Wexford and Ballisadare in Sligo both towns developed greatly when bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Pretty cool newsletter alright....well written. Can't wait for the next edition :D:D They might reveal the date then, or give more of an indication at least.

I feel that the town will do well after the bypass opens. I rem Claremorris struggled a little at first with its new found freedom after the bypass opened in the early parts of the decade, but now it has really found its feet. New street scaping, footpaths, surfacing, trees etc, and the town is booming now. New Tesco, Smyths, Elverys, Aldi and numerous other shops, new hotel etc. It really paid off in the long run getting rid of the traffic from the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

When is this road going to be open any1 know?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Couple of pics, first, two pictures form the tie in with the existing M 18

4592797972_57d5870067_o.jpg

4592179077_b8d28426bd_o.jpg

And two from Crusheen overbridge:

Looking towards Ennis

4592799148_33c8109d71_o.jpg

and looking in the Galway direction

4592180165_a4015ddef1_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Does Gort have the worst road surface in the country?
    It's absolutely shocking...

Mind you, ballyvourney is pretty bad too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

fresca wrote: »
    Does Gort have the worst road surface in the country?
    It's absolutely shocking...

Mind you, ballyvourney is pretty bad too...

I am not sure if it's been resurfaced but Charleville would have been up there too! The main street was like driving on the moon the craters wee so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gort is like its been ploughed. The holes are stupidly big. I drive through at about 30kmh and its like a slalom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anyone have any idea as to when this will open..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Nice photos Cosmo_K, cant see this opening in July though.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

tech2 wrote: »
    Nice photos Cosmo_K, cant see this opening in July though.

I'd say, it will probably be September or October, they are making great progress, but July seems to be unlikely.

Nice pics cosmo... they could use them in the next edition of the newsletter.... did you break into the site to take the first 2 photo's :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ginoglineli

There are signs coming into Gort now re the tie in saying expect delays from 19/5 to 25/7.

Also a lot of work happening on the Crusheen tie in now.

There are signs coming into Gort now re the tie in saying expect delays from 19/5 to 25/7.

Things really to happen in Gort from Monday morning....single lane traffic on the Galway side of the new roundabout whilst tie in works start.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Ascii wrote: »
    Things really to happen in Gort from Monday morning....single lane traffic on the Galway side of the new roundabout whilst tie in works start.
    Don't rule out them making it before the Galway races as predicted by Chris.... They are flying along

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

And the Races Start on the 26/7...Coincidence?:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Expect serious delays in Gort when they start to protest ....possibly with flash mobs blockading the current N18 as early as next week I was told.

Somebody in Gort got the crayons out :D

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12833-gort-demands-second-exit-new-n18

Campaigners are threatening to stage mass protests on the new N18 motorway when it opens later this year unless a second access point is built for Gort on the southern end of the town - without which businesses say trade could plummet by at least half.

Although the NRA agreed to build and fund a second junction for Gort off the new motorway, it did so on condition that Galway County Council would fund the upgrade of the Tubber Road to cope with the extra traffic that would be generated by the junction.

The county council

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Expect serious delays in Gort when they start to protest ....possibly with flash mobs blockading the current N18 as early as next week I was told.

Somebody in Gort got the crayons out :D

The county council

God help any protestors who block motorists progress. We've waited a long time for this bypass to open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

They can built 10 exits into Gort and it will make no difference. Once a town is bypassed thats it, never to be seen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

They can built 10 exits into Gort and it will make no difference. Once a town is bypassed thats it, never to be seen again.

its Gort, who wants to see it again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm not really for or against Gort getting a second junction but this:
    “I spent €6m on the hotel to put an extension and leisure centre two years ago and the NRA won’t spend €1m for us – all the towns on the M6 have two exits and some of them are not as big as Gort.

is not true at all.

black47 wrote: »
    Don't rule out them making it before the Galway races as predicted by Chris.... They are flying along

Afraid it wont be open for the races. The plan is to have the traffic going around the roundabout in Gort by the races, however this will be the extent of it. This is to facilitate the tie in works that have to take place there.

In relation to the newspaper article, does it not seem pointless blockading the road when its open. The time to get this going would have been four or five years ago. Surely, there is no land take to facilitate a second interchange between Gort and Crusheen.

I can't really see the hotel owners point [in the newspaper article].

Stopping in Gort for refreshments was something you might have done decades ago in a rattling Cortina and knobbeldy twisty roads.

Even if there was a second exit on the Ennis side of the town, the Limerick-Galway ride is only about one hour's duration. Even I felt a pee coming on leaving Galway, I could probably hold it to Limerick under the new setup!

His investment of millions in the establishment is his own lookout and is not underwritten by the state in any way - same with all free enterprises.

Is the hotel onwer not incorrect in saying the following

“I spent €6m on the hotel to put an extension and leisure centre two years ago and the NRA won’t spend €1m for us – all the towns on the M6 have two exits and some of them are not as big as Gort. "

Athenry - 1 exit, Loughrea - 1 exit, Ballinasloe and Athlone - 2 exits, but a lot bigger than Gort. Moate is probably the only exception, but one of these is to serve the Clara road more so than a second entrance to Moate. Kilbeggan - 1 exit, Kinnegad - 1 exit AFAIK, Maynooth - 1 exit etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Afraid it wont be open for the races. The plan is to have the traffic going around the roundabout in Gort by the races, however this will be the extent of it. This is to facilitate the tie in works that have to take place there.

In relation to the newspaper article, does it not seem pointless blockading the road when its open. The time to get this going would have been four or five years ago. Surely, there is no land take to facilitate a second interchange between Gort and Crusheen.

Ascii, any idea when they will be starting work on the with M18 tie in? And what will the diversion be when that is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

“I spent €6m on the hotel to put an extension and leisure centre two years ago and the NRA won’t spend €1m for us – all the towns on the M6 have two exits and some of them are not as big as Gort. "

Athenry - 1 exit, Loughrea - 1 exit, Ballinasloe and Athlone - 2 exits, but a lot bigger than Gort. Moate is probably the only exception, but one of these is to serve the Clara road more so than a second entrance to Moate. Kilbeggan - 1 exit, Kinnegad - 1 exit AFAIK, Maynooth - 1 exit etc etc etc.

What about them towns between Nenagh and Portlaoise. Are they all getting 2 exits, or even one, when the road has veered miles off route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gort does not need two exits for gods sake, what in heavens name are they thinking. Its a SMALL TOWN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Athlone has 5 exits. I want 5 for Maynooth, dammit!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement