Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

The documentation shows that the scheme contract is not due to be complete until August 10, 2011.

However, the contractor's programme reveals that it was aiming to have the project complete by July 16 next.

The document reveals, however, that surfacing on the route is 18 weeks behind the original programme and 12 weeks behind in volume terms.

The documentation confirms that on April 30 last, the project was 73pc complete...

In todays Indo...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/farmers-land-millions-for-road-2202039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It looks like this project may not be delivered this year. While SIAC were hoping to have this open for July, their schedule for surfacing the road is
    18 weeks behind the original programme and 12 weeks behind in volume terms
    . Their revised estimate is now April 30 next year, allowing for slowdown/stoppage over winter

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/farmers-land-millions-for-road-2202039.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I would say it'll be ready by late October to be honest. Having looked at lots of other schemes being built, I can't see how it will take into 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    18 feb 2010
    My prediction on an opening date is the second half of October 2010.

I estimate the precise opening date will be Friday the 22nd of October this year but Chris has the doubling dice till the Galway Races :p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I estimate the precise opening date will be Friday the 22nd of October this year but Chris has the doubling dice till the Galway Races :p

I'd still take October over the original summer 2011 date. Don't worry Chris you can still have a few beers at the races

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

July was always too soon for this scheme to finish, check back early on this thread and the guesstimate thread. I predicted September 2010 and I still reckon it will be done by then. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

September or October wouldnt be too bad, but next April would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From the Irish Independent report:
    Senior engineer with Clare County Council, Tom Tiernan, told a recent meeting that the council has been told that the works could be complete this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks like I may have been off with the Races prediction :D That said, I did always say it was an absolute guess without a shred of evidence but people took it as gospel :D

Any progress on the scheme lately? I take it the Curraderra overbridge has opened but what is the progress like on the mainline? Is the concrete barrier down on any stretch of the scheme yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

hurry up guys... finish the road....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Concrete barrier commenced north of the Gortavoher overbridge, getting on well. Verges all finished int his area as well.
    Traffic being switched undeer the last bridge near the Ennis tie in sometime real soon byt he looks of it, maybe even today :D. This will allow the eastern side of the last bridge to be finished.

Halloween, early Nov all the way. There is not a chance of works running into next year.

Good progress, it might tempt me to go up and have a look at the scheme on Sunday. Ascii how is the Rathwilladoon overbridge going, last time I had a look the decks were up and structure was in place. No embankment done on it however. Just that one and the Cragard one to complete.

I think Wills dropped behind alright on their own high standard pace of construction but this will not drop into 2011 though.

A lot of work done around the Crusheen tie in, all kerbed so just needs the CBM and asphalt.

tech2 wrote: »
    Good progress, it might tempt me to go up and have a look at the scheme on Sunday. Ascii how is the Rathwilladoon overbridge going, last time I had a look the decks were up and structure was in place. No embankment done on it however. Just that one and the Cragard one to complete.

Rathwilladoon has been open to the public for the last three weeks and Cragard opened to the public on Friday last. All the strcutures are now completed and all open to the public, bar the two at the interchanges (Gort and Crusheen)

Traffic now directed under the new bridge at the existing M18 tie in.

Just a small update. In Gort you are now re routed onto the new roundabout. Traffic management seems to be doing a good job at keeping back ups to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Thanks glineli

You seem to be the only one flying the flag for updates at the moment.

ki wrote: »
    Thanks glineli

You seem to be the only one flying the flag for updates at the moment.

If i had any road building knowledge at all i could go into a lot more detail but i dont. I normally drive gort to tubber to crusheen everyday so i see daily progress. Then evenings are a nice walk with the dog around the crusheen section, down to ballyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

so whats the general concensus on opening guys?? probaly be closer to end of year?:(

• Advertisement

It would seem to be late oct/nov time. I have not come across anywhere yet where the concrete barrier has been laid.

They are making good progress on the Gort tie in. I would like to see them start on the Crusheen Tie in, although there isnt a lot of work to do in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AerialPhoto.ie

I took a quick run of photos when I passed this project back in April, thought the photos might be of interest to you guys so have published them in our gallery.
    http://www.aerialphoto.ie/ltd-portfolio/

gort_194_thumb_special.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

the section on the gort side is going well looking foward to them finishing there traffic builds up very quickly sick of been stuck in. it will be worth it when its finished we will have two decent entrances to the town but
    it would be nice to see some thing done with the road and the foot paths that run through the town. its a mess it would give the town such a lift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This has been covered lots of times :( Gort is due a water scheme . It was priority number one in the category three wish list to be done 2010-2012 .....IE if only one Cat 3 scheme is done in Galway over the next 3 years it should be the Gort Water Pipe replacement scheme. Taking the traffic out of Gort before you dig it up is a jolly good idea is it not ??????

The scheme is listed here having survived cutbacks by Gormley. No roads or footpaths work will be done until this scheme has been completed.

Lobbying for anything other than this water pipe replacement scheme is utterly daft, just look at the lovely footpaths Barna got last year after they dug it up for sewage. They are even going to dig the new roundabout up as far as I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

good man!!!

On regrards to the water, the contractor has been appointed and work will be starting on the water scheme in the next couple of months.

As regards the concrete median barrier, it started in Gortavoher and is currently up near the asphalt batching plant. Allowing for a few area's which were skipped around the structures there must be at least 7km of it completed.

Work on the roundabout at the Gort interchange is really coming on well.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Great pictures AerialPhoto, I have summarised the pictures of the various structures of interest in this scheme.

These can be referenced against the interactive map for the scheme at http://www.galway.ie/RoadProjects/n18_new/n18.htm (click on the Proposed Structures link for each section of the map to highlight a particular structure).

Caheraphuca to Cragard

Cragard Overbridge

4756335770_94bb9dfcf9_t.jpg

Curraderra Overbridge

4755696835_77c33865f2_t.jpg

BearnaFushin Underpass

4755696869_3813de7cbe_t.jpg

Ballyline Overbridge

4756335870_1d86a719f2_t.jpg

Millbrook River Bridge

4755696955_b77097b200_t.jpg

Derrygarriff to Caheraphuca

Ruan Underbridge

4756335940_78df85b117_t.jpg

Crusheen Junction

4755697027_8b3fa240c7_t.jpg

Lahardan Overbridge

4756336020_b7be8e7644_t.jpg

Crusheen-Tubber Overbridge

4756336046_64c150a3b1_t.jpg

Curtaun to Derrygarriff

Mid Clare Way Underpass

4756336084_a4d25c215e_t.jpg

Moyne River Bridge

4755697203_858be4d3b0_t.jpg

Gortavoher Overbridge

4756336132_d0ea01ca08_t.jpg

Rathwilladoon Overbridge

4755697275_23c34bc486_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Ballybaun to Curtaun

Lurga Underpass

4755697301_3f3859c042_t.jpg

Shangalish Overbridge

4755697327_cfb8b71407_t.jpg

Gort - Tubber Overbridge

4756336286_c72aafa2c3_t.jpg

Gort to Ballybaun

Ballysheedy Underpass

4756336336_7b649b7d4c_t.jpg

R460 Overbridge

4756336376_a328bfefb4_t.jpg

Gort Junction

4756336426_d0d9a40187_t.jpg

Some pictures not much changed on the mainline.

DSC03438.jpg

DSC03437.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Nath wrote: »
    Ballybaun to Curtaun

Lurga Underpass

4755697301_3f3859c042_t.jpg

Shangalish Overbridge

4755697327_cfb8b71407_t.jpg

Gort - Tubber Overbridge

4756336286_c72aafa2c3_t.jpg

Gort to Ballybaun

Ballysheedy Underpass

4756336336_7b649b7d4c_t.jpg

R460 Overbridge

4756336376_a328bfefb4_t.jpg

Gort Junction

4756336426_d0d9a40187_t.jpg
    Can anyone explain how new road will merge with old road at Galway side of Gort. Have not been up that way with a while (live in Kerry) and photo of Junction above is confusing!!!! Hope is not via roundabout as that will cause delays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement