Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Already this section of Motorway is going to be a much longer trip for the vast majority of users who use the existing N17, if it is tolled it could make it into an extremely quiet road.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

galwayrush wrote: »
    Already this section of Motorway is going to be a much longer trip for the vast majority of users who use the existing N17, if it is tolled it could make it into an extremely quiet road.:rolleyes:

Longer in what way? Been able to travel at a constant 120kph on motorway as oppose to 70-80kph on the old road and been stuck in claregalway? I think that's a no-contest.

the N17 isn't a a national road because it's a commuter route. It's a national road because it is part of network that connects Cork to Sligo (via Limerick/Galway). I would think if you were travelling Cork/Limerick to Sligo that the new route is actually more direct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Tuam scheme includes a 2+2 bypass of Tuam does it not ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It does, 2+2 planned from Tuam (including bypass) to Cooloney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Lads, are they being realistic with the road north of Tuam. Does enough traffic go from Collooney towards Tuam to justify even 2+2

By all means wide median but hardly need more. Yes i will hear the imminent "future proof" comments but lads seriously, can you ever see a real need for Motorway in this section. By that logic we should make every N road in the country a Motorway. The "sure were saving loads in the long run" argument doesnt even come into it. Were saving nothing if we cant afford it right now and there is little cost benefit.

Disclaimer: Yes id love better quality roads too but i dont think they are priority right now, not in this section anyway. In terms of proper HQDC or Motorway, Claregalway bypass, Newlands Cross and Adare bypass first. The rest can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

nordydan wrote: »
    It does, 2+2 planned from Tuam (including bypass) to Cooloney

The Tuam bypass is 2+2 but it's part of the M17/M18 tender. The next scheme that proposed is a 2+2 from end of Tuam bypass to the beginning of the Claremorris bypass. However the chance of seeing anything north of Tuam been built within the next 10years is probably very slim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Lads, are they being realistic with the road north of Tuam. Does enough traffic go from Collooney towards Tuam to justify even 2+2

By all means wide median but hardly need more. Yes i will hear the imminent "future proof" comments but lads seriously, can you ever see a real need for Motorway in this section. By that logic we should make every N road in the country a Motorway. The "sure were saving loads in the long run" argument doesnt even come into it. Were saving nothing if we cant afford it right now and there is little cost benefit.

Disclaimer: Yes id love better quality roads too but i dont think they are priority right now, not in this section anyway. In terms of proper HQDC or Motorway, Claregalway bypass, Newlands Cross and Adare bypass first. The rest can wait.

Surely you wouldn't need a Claregalway bypass with the M17?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

Ok but if we build for now we will stay in the now i live in Dublin but i belive that we should build the infrastructure in the west to develope the west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:eek:
    Surely you wouldn't need a Claregalway bypass with the M17?
    :eek:

Is that you Frank Fahey?!

Inter-Urbans have really pulled the wool over peoples eyes. Decent roads for commuters are what is needed worse than any Atlantic corridoor. Anyone en-route to Galway city shouldnt have to do 2 sides of a triangle to get into the city.

I actually feel sorry for them that have to go through ClareGalway. Even the proposed Galway bypass doesnt include an N17 junction. Talk about phoning it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

:eek::eek:

Is that you Frank Fahey?!

Inter-Urbans have really pulled the wool over peoples eyes. Decent roads for commuters are what is needed worse than any Atlantic corridoor. Anyone en-route to Galway city shouldnt have to do 2 sides of a triangle to get into the city.

I actually feel sorry for them that have to go through ClareGalway. Even the proposed Galway bypass doesnt include an N17 junction. Talk about phoning it in...

Well the reason I mentioned it is that it seems the M17/18 is going to go ahead anyway unless I'm mistaken (I probably am). Personally I think the Galway outer bypass should take precedence. I don't mind driving 2 sides of a triangle if I can go 120kph especially if I'm coming from another city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Well the reason I mentioned it is that it seems the M17/18 is going to go ahead anyway unless I'm mistaken (I probably am). Personally I think the Galway outer bypass should take precedence. I don't mind driving 2 sides of a triangle if I can go 120kph especially if I'm coming from another city.

If Noel Dempsey said it is going to happen then apply the principal were is his lips moving at the time - this is a general indication that he was lying. I would love to see the M17/18 developed and north of Tuam - I agree with a previous poster that DC is probably not necessary and wide median will do - to the standard of the Knock/Claremorris bypass, but I think this type or development for N roads is now off the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Claregalway Inner Relief Road will be the solution to the problem of this town, not the M17/18 scheme. It'll HELP, but to have to travel out to Athenry before you can go north just wont happen, especially as you'd have to fight your way through a bunch of extra roundabouts in Galway before (if) the bypass gets built.

The Inner Relief road will be the solution, but who knows if they'll build it. It'd be a massive vote winner (everyone in Galway and everyone between there and Tuam) would vote for it.

Claregalway Inner Relief Road will be the solution to the problem of this town, not the M17/18 scheme.

There was a recent development on that particular planeen ( they generally only do something so Grealish can frantically announce some class of progress) .

Note the 'length' .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Yes it is 2+2 but it has roundabouts. I was suggesting that these should be eliminated, and offgrade intersection used. Future proof, build for tomorrow not today, (no more short sighted m50 with roundabout stuff)

Most of the n17 in Mayo was rebuilt in the last 15 years.(so peewee could get to his 3 houses) The section from the end of the n17 PPP "north of tuam" to the claremorris bypass and the tubercurry bypass to colloney are the section that will need upgrading in the future, when money is available. At that time this should be build as 2+2.

The route is already selected and it will be 2+2

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

But it still contain roundabouts, which is what i saw on the plan?

then they'll add traffic lights, and headford road all over again:mad:

dubhthach wrote: »
    Longer in what way? Been able to travel at a constant 120kph on motorway as oppose to 70-80kph on the old road and been stuck in claregalway? I think that's a no-contest.

the N17 isn't a a national road because it's a commuter route. It's a national road because it is part of network that connects Cork to Sligo (via Limerick/Galway). I would think if you were travelling Cork/Limerick to Sligo that the new route is actually more direct.

Approx 8 miles longer per journey for the vast majority of traffic that use the existing N17.
    Add a toll to that, very few people will use it.

Claregalway Inner Relief Road will be the solution to the problem of this town, not the M17/18 scheme. It'll HELP, but to have to travel out to Athenry before you can go north just wont happen, especially as you'd have to fight your way through a bunch of extra roundabouts in Galway before (if) the bypass gets built.

The Inner Relief road will be the solution, but who knows if they'll build it. It'd be a massive vote winner (everyone in Galway and everyone between there and Tuam) would vote for it.

Agree, the Claregalway by-pass is a must, even more so if the M 17 is tolled.
    If the NRA accepted any one of the 4 original routes picked by Galway C.C. there would be no need for the by-pass, but the NRA overruled them and moved the road towards Athenry. Claregalway will still be a bottleneck the way things are looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Getting back to Gort to Crusheen I went for a spin during the week along the scheme. I only have 2 photos as I just went to have a quick look at the various viewing points I'm used to driving now. The concrete central median is not built continuously from Gort-Crusheen yet. There is a lot of gaps on all sections.

The ramp from the Crusheen junction not only meets the N18 but also forks out to the small local road on the way to Lahardan. There were at this when I passed. SpongeBob is right in the LILO design it's a much better left turn than the two junctions on the M18 Ennis Bypass.

View of Crusheen Junction

DSC03499.jpg

Looking north from the Lahardan overbridge, some concrete barrier in the distance. i aim to cover the entire length of the scheme on a Sunday in the next couple of weeks.

DSC03498.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

tech2 wrote: »
    Looking north from the Lahardan overbridge, some concrete barrier in the distance.

Good to see some concrete barrier started on some section of this road. I am using the N18 fairly regularly these days and can't see any from the existing road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

galwayrush wrote: »
    Approx 8 miles longer per journey for the vast majority of traffic that use the existing N17.
    Add a toll to that, very few people will use it.

Not through traffic though to Shannon, Limerick,Cork and Waterford - the 8 miles will cut out huge logjams and be safer, express busees from Tuam to Galway would use this route surely? - and isn't this proposed as a "shadow toll" scheme (ie no toll gates)? This route will also pick up Tuam/Claremorris (and possibly Castlebar traffic) as an alternative route to Dublin or any point on the M4, certainly if I was going Tuam - Athlone I would use this route - wouldn't you?

I agree with you that a relief road around Claregalway is needed with an Enfield type relief road - but as yo know we have only be talking about the need for this for about 30 years now......You know we don't like to rush into things....

BTW I cannot find on the NRA website any project listing for Tuam to Gort bypass - I thought there was a project put up for the N17/18 the interchange with the M6 I think is to be at Junction 18 with the M6 just west of Athenry - is this right? Of course with current spending we know its all pie in the sky anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

NRA website is woefully out of date, doesnt really mention any of the PPP schemes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Hey All.....

Check out the new newsletter...some really good photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

An excellent newsletter. One wonders what more common term "unscrupulous traders" is substituting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

I dont think one needs to wonder at all! Id bet the house on who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

This may have been covered before.
    What is teh difference between using a concrete barrier and a steel crash barrier for the middle of the road. I can only presume the steel barrier would be better for wildlife so they can cross the road insted of gettign caught and having to double back.

Is it down to cost, steel being very expensive?

serfboard wrote: »
    Good to see some concrete barrier started on some section of this road. I am using the N18 fairly regularly these days and can't see any from the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

sealgaire wrote: »
    What is teh difference between using a concrete barrier and a steel crash barrier for the middle of the road. I can only presume the steel barrier would be better for wildlife so they can cross the road insted of gettign caught and having to double back.

Is it down to cost, steel being very expensive?

Steel is cheaper initially but concrete is cheaper over a 50 year period. Concrete is also much safer than steel for motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Excellent newsletter. Wearing course to start during this month is brilliant news. I really can't wait for those stretch to open. It will make a trip from Galway to Limerick that much easier. The N18 has made massive strides over the last 10 years when you consider the days of being stuck in Newmarket-on-Fergus and Ennis.

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »

Wildlife is not really a factor, in fact the aim is to keep animals off the road as mcuh as possible. Mammal tunnels are placed in various sections of these roads to allow otters/foxes/badgers/rabbits/hares etc access from left to right without the interference of traffic. All the timber fencing alonf the roadside is covered with a 50mm wire mesh to prevent animals from climbing through the timber rails and onto the road.

Where you have these mammal tunnels which usually consist of a 600mm diameter pipe, the boundary fence is angled to the start of the tunnel to direct animals to the entrance to the pipe, this applies to the likes of badgers who usually come out in the dark of night. The idea being that they follow the line of the fence and next thing they are at the entrance to the tunnel.

For 50 metres either side of these mammal tunnels, the green wire mesh thats fixed to the timber post and rail is buried 500 mm under the ground. This prevents animals like rabbits and badgers from tunnelling under the fence and giving them access to the mainline where it ultimately leads to a date with the grim reaper :( aka scania and 40ft :D

Sorry for being so long winded...

As regards the concrete versus steel, should you have a minor accident, its easy to do slight damage to the steel barrier, which when it leads to repairing it, can be very expensive due to the costs of getting temporary traffic management in place to carry out such works. (closing one lane for a day etc...) In a year you could have loads of fender benders against the steel and when this crash barrier has recieved the slightest tip, its integrity is called into question and it needs to be replaced. Could add up to a sizeable sum over the space of a year. These minor tips will have flip all effect on the concrete barrier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement