Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N93

• 17-09-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I was reading an english magazine last week and it had an ad in it for the N93, so im just wondering does anybody know when its coming here. My contract is due for renewal early next year and im wondering will it be out then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

cooperguy wrote:
    I was reading an english magazine last week and it had an ad in it for the N93, so im just wondering does anybody know when its coming here. My contract is due for renewal early next year and im wondering will it be out then

Out already on Expansys.ie : http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=136135
    Dunno about when it will be available in ordinary stores though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

I was talking to Vodafone Custome Care and the N93 is due for release on the Vodafone network this Month. Most likely it will be the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I was talking to Vodafone Custome Care and the N93 is due for release on the Vodafone network this Month. Most likely it will be the end of the month.

That's good news if true, currently Vodafone Live does not work on it as its an 'unsupported handset'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I bloody hope so. I have it for the last fortnight, and just like my Nokia n90 before it, Vodafone don't support half the services on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Went to register my n93 with Vodafone this morning, and they said they had no plans to release this handset. Surprise surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

apart from teh lowest priced n70, the n-series arent being picked up by the networks in general, they're pretty expensive, and and dont think the networks would like to have to subsidise them heavily enough for ppl to buy them

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On a similar vein, I am interested in an N80, but Vodafone have informed me that they will not be selling or supporting the N80. Shame.

I might have to lower my sights to the N70 instead, though the N80 has wifi! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 N93 Looser

N93 owners are a bunch of loosers.
    We have bought products that don't work and Nokia want us to fix them ourselves. Would you accept it if your TV, DVD player, camcorder, or digital camera was full of bugs and the manufacturer gave you a link to download a fix as a solution?
    It's about time we told Nokia that selling products with bugs in them is not acceptable. If it doesn't work properly demand your money back.
    I have lost time, money and enjoyment by buying a N93. There are so many annoying bugs in it I don't use it anymore and have replaced it with a new 6230i. I have wasted hours on the Internet looking for new firmware to fix my N93, which is not available yet. What a load of horse crap.

The List:
    The image on the camera sometimes appears upside down.
    The camera application closes just after taking a photo.
    Video playback application stops during playback.
    Video camera stops while recording.
    Phone locks up and you have to remove the battery to reset the phone.
    Simm card registration failure appears on the screen if you go out of coverage for a moment (eg. you go in to a lift) and you have to turn the phone off and on again to receive or make calls.
    Right earpiece does not work when playing an MP3 and you have to turn off and on the phone to fix.
    Phone locks up while transferring video and images via bluetooth and you have to remove the battery to reset the phone.
    Wireless network strength varies from 50% to no signal while the phone is stationary (happens on all signals of 50% or less).
    If you change a few times from portrait to landscape with the camera application open all kinds of strange things happen the digital zoom increases beyond the specifications.
    Also, the video camera makes a clicking noise when zooming which can be heard clearly on playback

I am such a looser.

N93 Looser wrote:
    N93 owners are a bunch of loosers.
    We have bought products that don't work and Nokia want us to fix them ourselves. Would you accept it if your TV, DVD player, camcorder, or digital camera was full of bugs and the manufacturer gave you a link to download a fix as a solution?
    It's about time we told Nokia that selling products with bugs in them is not acceptable. If it doesn't work properly demand your money back.
    I have lost time, money and enjoyment by buying a N93. There are so many annoying bugs in it I don't use it anymore and have replaced it with a new 6230i. I have wasted hours on the Internet looking for new firmware to fix my N93, which is not available yet. What a load of horse crap.

The List:
    The image on the camera sometimes appears upside down.
    The camera application closes just after taking a photo.
    Video playback application stops during playback.
    Video camera stops while recording.
    Phone locks up and you have to remove the battery to reset the phone.
    Simm card registration failure appears on the screen if you go out of coverage for a moment (eg. you go in to a lift) and you have to turn the phone off and on again to receive or make calls.
    Right earpiece does not work when playing an MP3 and you have to turn off and on the phone to fix.
    Phone locks up while transferring video and images via bluetooth and you have to remove the battery to reset the phone.
    Wireless network strength varies from 50% to no signal while the phone is stationary (happens on all signals of 50% or less).
    If you change a few times from portrait to landscape with the camera application open all kinds of strange things happen the digital zoom increases beyond the specifications.
    Also, the video camera makes a clicking noise when zooming which can be heard clearly on playback

I am such a looser.

I've had a N93 for sometime and I don't experience any of those problems except for the "SIM registration error" which occasionally appears when out of coverage (this also happens on N80 and E61).

What firmware do you have? Ver 11.0.034 has been available for approx a month now.

Perhaps you have a hardware problem with your phone, therefore bring it back to the place of purchase and ask for a replacement.

I bought my N93 on the 31st of August. It has version 10 software. I don't think I should have to send it back, at my expense to get version 11, which has the "bug" fixes for some of the problems I am having. I don't have a hardware problem, Nokia is well aware of these software problems. Google "N93 firmware" for more info. Check which version of the software you have Skearon. My point is that Nokia know that their customers accept that they may have to upgrade the firmware in order to get their phone to work properly and are taking advantage of it. If we didn't accept it they would not release phones with known bugs.

• Advertisement

N93 Looser wrote:
    I bought my N93 on the 31st of August. It has version 10 software. I don't think I should have to send it back, at my expense to get version 11, which has the "bug" fixes for some of the problems I am having. I don't have a hardware problem, Nokia is well aware of these software problems. Google "N93 firmware" for more info. Check which version of the software you have Skearon. My point is that Nokia know that their customers accept that they may have to upgrade the firmware in order to get their phone to work properly and are taking advantage of it. If we didn't accept it they would not release phones with known bugs.

I have 11.0.034, upgraded it myself at start of September.

You should be able to update it yourself once the N93 is added to Nokia's phone update service at http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/softwareupdate, so there will be no expense, or bring it to one of Nokia's service centres and they will upgrade it for free.

Firmware updates are a fact of life for all mobile phones, just like PCs have BIOS updates and Microsoft have security updates. In an ideal world perhaps they wouldn't be neccessary, then again on the other hand sometimes issues are only discovered when a product is released and used by many people. At least Nokia are fairly quick are releasing updates.

Also most 'first adopters' of new technology are aware there will be firmware updates.

Skearon,
    Where did you get your firmware update? I have to ship mine back to Expansys in the UK to get mine updated.

Why are firmware updates a fact of life? Are you saying that it is acceptable for phones not to work properly. As soon as you accept it as a fact of life you become another Looser.

Nokia released the N93 onto the market knowing it had flaws and knowing they could still sell huge quantities of the flawed products and work out how to fix them later. Firmware updates are fine to improve an already working product, not fine if they are necessary to get the product to work properly in the first place. The fact is that we the Loosers let the Manufacturers get away with it.

If we accept it as a "fact of life" they will continue to release flawed products onto the market. It saves them money, they get a return ahead of schedual for the billions they have put into developing the product and they can release it ahead of a compeditiors simular product.

The bugs in my N93 were not discovered after they released it onto the market. Nokia knew about these bugs before they released it. I knew it had firmware problems within hours of using it.

Microsoft has a monopoly. They can release a badly made product full of bugs that will sell because it will work better then the product it replaces. They will not make a better product at more expense if they cannot make a better margin on it. Their aim is to maximise profit not produce a top quality product. As for Security updates, what a joke. Do you believe that Microsoft can't make a 99% secure operating system? What's the problem, the hackers are more inteligent than their designers?

The firmware is readily available on the web, there are a number of 3rd party products that can flash the N93, these products' support pages have the firmware.

You dont have to send it back to Expansys, just go to your nearest Nokia service centre, the Mobile Phone Repair Company in Sandyford will have the firmware updated in a couple of hours and it is free.

If you are not in Dublin look up the Nokia.ie web site for your nearest centre.

I am just saying that firmware updates ARE a fact of life, I'm not defending them, nor do I let them wind me up. If you want to live in an Utopian world good luck, but you will be waiting.

Back in the real world, no one forced you to buy the product, why not just wait until a newer firmware was available before purchasing it.

When Microsoft release a new OS, most IT people will wait until the first service pack before rolling it out, that's just life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

skearon wrote:
    When Microsoft release a new OS, most IT people will wait until the first service pack before rolling it out, that's just life.

This is unfortunately a sad fact of life when dealing with bleeding-edge technology. They lesson here is do your homework. I purchased an O2 Atom, knowing it was a phone with great potential, lots of bugs and a firmware upgrade that fixes most of them. Within 2 days of receiving it, I had the firmware upgraded and the difference in performance was astonishing.

If you don't like being on the bleeding edge, then don't but bleeding edge technology.

N93 is now listed on Nokia's update web site

http://www.nokia.com/A4176089

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Hi Guys. So can people tell me. Does the N93 wrk on the vodafone network over here? And if so does the video calling work? Does Vodafone live work yet?
    And can anyone tell me, is it any good as an emailer option? I want a phone that I can use as a constant link to my office email but i don't like the look of things like the Blackberry or most phones I've seen with a qwerty keyboard. Is there a version of Outlook available for it? I could use my outlook web portal, will this work? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Daavid wrote:
    Hi Guys. So can people tell me. Does the N93 wrk on the vodafone network over here? And if so does the video calling work? Does Vodafone live work yet?
    And can anyone tell me, is it any good as an emailer option? I want a phone that I can use as a constant link to my office email but i don't like the look of things like the Blackberry or most phones I've seen with a qwerty keyboard. Is there a version of Outlook available for it? I could use my outlook web portal, will this work? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

I am using it on Vodafone, video calling, and 3G data work, Vodafone Live does not as Vodafone dont support the N93.

With Ver 11 or later firmware, the Mail for Exchange program that runs on the E61 also runs on the N93 so provides seemless push email from Exchange 2003, I presume the Blackberry connect software also runs, but have not tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Sweet. Thanks a million Skearon. I can live without Vodafone Live, it's crap anyway. :)
    I was almost hoping that all of the answers would be negative cos now I think I have to go and buy one ;)
    Do you know where I can get the mail for exchange program you mentioned?

Daavid wrote:
    Sweet. Thanks a million Skearon. I can live without Vodafone Live, it's crap anyway. :)
    I was almost hoping that all of the answers would be negative cos now I think I have to go and buy one ;)
    Do you know where I can get the mail for exchange program you mentioned?

http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mail_for_exchange_downloads.php

Advertisement