Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista ready laptops

• 17-09-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

with vista on the way i was wondering if there any laptops around now that will be properly compatible with the new os?

from what i undertsand i will need 2 gigs of ram and a directx10 graphics card.
    i am hoping to buy a new laptop but am wondering will i be better off waiting for vista to be released and buy a "vista ready" machine or will i get away with something avialble now?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Some exist, and will have stickers : At least, this way you'll have some comeback if it isn't (Not much comeback TBH). Otherwise, use sense and check number of RAM slots/max RAM it can take, size of HDD, video card, etc.
    vistacapable.jpg

Personally, I'd wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

2 gig ram seams a bit extreme really. I'm comfortable with 1 gig in my laptop so I won't be upgrading that anytime soon.

I'd also wait at least a year before getting vista after its release to allow M$ to iron out its immediate faults and security holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ive seen that logo on a few pcs, but no laptops.

ill probably install vista straight away as i dont have any critical need for xp.
    ill continue with my current security policy which has served me well for 4 years without a virus so cant see vista being an issue.

even so if i dont choose to install vista for 6 months after rtm i would still like my laptop to be able for it.

ill be trying to get the best spec + mobility for my budget of up to 1500 euro,
    so will be bumping up ram where possible.
    im hoping to just get intel extreme or gma in order to boost battery life,
    is there any vista issues with particular versions of this?

That magic sticker is on my new Dell Inspiron 1300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I work for microsoft and I was given a "Vista ready" laptop for work and these were the specs :

Toshiba Tecra m3
    1.8ghz p4 Centrino
    2gb RAM
    40gb Hard Drive
    128mb Nvidia express video card(not too sure which one)

This is what Microsoft are giving their staff for working purposes.

Id suggest going with 2gb as a power user in Vista needs 1gb ram just for the OS. If I was you Id wait until Vista is realeased because the directx10 cards wont be out till then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And it's on my Dell 640m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

That neat little sticker is on my new Dell Inspirion 6400 too (2GB ram inside and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks for the replies,
    ill take that vista capable with a pinch of salt then as it sounds like its being stuck on anything that ships with xp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any POS will run Vista. Intels GMA series support it I think, and the new intel 3000 and x3000 cards support it too, as do most of the cheapest of the cheap nvidia and ati dedicateds like the x1150 and the 7200.

Just to be positive you'll be able to run it 100% as it was meant to though with all the extra features, I'd go for a mid range graphics card. 1,200 would get you a nice machine with a mid range card like a Geforce 7400 or an Ati X1400 etc.

Once you have a decent cpu and enough ram, you're fine.

PS -Intel Extreme is not Vista compatiable, but that does not come with laptops anymore, and if is does, its in older stock of old celeron machines so I don't think it'd be an issue anyway.

Advertisement