Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on how to house train my dogs.

Options
  • 17-09-2006 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I would like to house train my two Dobermans but have no clue even where to begin. Can anyone tell me how to do it as the dobes find the winters cold and I would like them to be able to stay indoors on the cold days at least. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

how old are they and have they been inside before?

You need to be prepared to watch them like a hawk at first until they get the hang of it and develop a routine. If you see them squatting etc, go outside with them very fast and once they are doing their business, praise them like hell. Dobes are intelligent creatures and it shouldn't take that long, provided you are consistent and prepared to put in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

If they are pissing/crapping in the house I'm guessing you have newspapers spread out at night. What we did with our dog was to slowly reduce the area of newspaper available to them and keep moving the target areas (where the scent was) nearer and nearer your back door. On top of this catch them in the act when they are outside and praise them and try to associate a word or command with what they are doing (we use "get busy"!). Pretty soon they'll be standing at the back door waiting to be let out or when you let them out last thing at night for example or when they are walking around in circles which tends to be a good sign and use your command they will oblige. Doesnt take too long - 2- 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Firstly what sex are they? It makes a difference. A male tends to wait until they get outside - they'll do their utmost to hold anyway! A female will urinate anywhere even her own bed. My advice is if they soil the floor a light repremand - ah ah ah. let them know that it's not allowed without severe abuse, shouting or physical contact. And let them out straight away.. vital it straight after the repremand. If it's close to feeding time then leave the mess and place their feeding bowl beside it's own mess and let them feed beside it. I'd only really use this technique if the animal is persistant. It'll let him/her know that feeding area's are no soiling zones etc. I find the first method the best though. allow 2-3 wks training. Never, never ever make a huge deal of the dog for soiling, shouting etc.. it's not the dogs fault to know it's carpet etc he/she has an urge and know's no different. They want to please you as their master so by learning to go outside should be a reward based train rather than building a unnessacary fear of their owner..

goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Get a dog flap if at all possible - I know dobermans might require a very big one since they are big dogs and that implicates security issues perhaps but I've two dogs and my latest took ONE day to house train - since every time he squatted he got put outside and in the end he decided it was best to go outside rather than be disrupted mid flow! Dog flaps are heaven sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

:) crate training is IMO the best way to house train a dog - if you google it you'll find loads of advice - Good Luck

Advertisement