Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car damaged because of road works. Have I any chance of compensation?

Options
  • 17-09-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Galway County Council have dumped a load of loose chippings on the N17 between Tuam and Galway. Travelling on the road yesterday some asshole in a lorry travelling the opposite direction to me pepperd the side of my car with stone chips and cracked the windscreen due to the speed he was travelling (at least 60mph). Travelling on the road again today another cúnt in an old Opel Kaddett did the same thing (again due to excess speed). I'll now have to replace the windscreen and I have stone ships on the side of my car (`02 Audi).

There are no reduced speed limits up just roadworks ahead signs.

What other country in the world would the county council dump a load of stones on the road and expect road users in their cars to flatten the stone chips. It's a joke.

Is there any point in ringing the council tomorrow to seek compensation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well ring the council anyway to warn them of the dangers of a loose top surface with no warnings and lower speeds limit and then ask to speak to someone about the damage caused by same. You won't get any joy out of them but they will proberly feel a bit guilty.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They'll just argue the other drivers weren't driving in a manner suited to the conditions.

I'd like to see how far you get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Don't take the matter lying down daveg - the council does appear to be at fault. If they say it is the oncoming drivers' faults for not driving according to proper road conditions, that can be argued. If there are no speed limits in place, why slow down, just because of chippings? Its dumb, but its true.

Another thread here stated how an immigrant worker asked his county council why road surfaces are left like that in Ireland, as it was illegal in most European countries, as it is the precursor surface to act as grit for tarmac? He was told that "thats how we do it in Ireland" (essentially, not verbatim).

In my opinion, it is a serious nature for a road surface to be in, and an even worse expense. For example, the Kilbeggan/Dublin road out of Tullamore (at Coleraine/Durrow is chipped about twice a year, with no positive results. Same for the stretch coming into Ballinagar from Tullamore on your way to Daingean.

A shameful waste of taxpayers money, and a threat to road safety is what it is. Not to mention the God-awful road noise.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In fairness I'll admit i Never slow down whe I see a road works or reduced speed limit sign because they're normally just left there and the works have been complete for 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

You might have a case if there really were no speed restriction signs.

A mate cracked his oil sump going over some resurfacing works at night, but got the costs from the county council because, while nothing wrong with the road being in a temporarily rough state, they hadnt placed warning signs to slow down while passing over it. When he called the council first he was fobbed off, but one simple letter from his solicitor and they sorted it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Sandwich wrote:
    You might have a case if there really were no speed restriction signs.

A mate cracked his oil sump going over some resurfacing works at night, but got the costs from the county council because, while nothing wrong with the road being in a temporarily rough state, they hadnt placed warning signs to slow down while passing over it. When he called the council first he was fobbed off, but one simple letter from his solicitor and they sorted it for him.

Then this is what the original poster and other affected road users need to do. Fair is fair, and chipping roadfs and poorly signed road works are not fair.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Dave - were you inside or outside the city limits?

I know from experience that Galway Corporation are the pits to deal with about things like that (burst a tyre on a watermain hidden in a puddle; arrived up to corporation and put wheel and tyre on an engineers desk - having lugged them up 2 flights of stairs - only to get fobbed off. Had photos of the main and all!).

It's the engineering/infrastrusture departments you need to deal with, IIRC. I'll try and find the name of the person to talk to.

Advertisement