Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSI Demonstrating - Hourly Rates

Options
  • 17-09-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Starting my third year as a post grad and just realised that I could have potentially claimed the Hourly rate of €20 per hour (Senior Postgrad demonstrator) for the last two years demonstrating because I have an MSc from before I started.

Has anyone any experience with this and whether in computer science that this will be stood by? I rang up Pay and Conditions to ask, to which they responded,
    "Nobody has ever asked us that before".....not a good start.:rolleyes:

Eventually they got back to me having unearthed some dusty tome to qoute from, their email said.....

"The policy is that you would generally qualify to be paid at the Senior Rate after you have completed 3 years on the Ordinary Rate, or after you have been awarded a Master's Degree"

I don't like the 'generally' bit. Anyone any experience with this? Oh, and being really cheeky, what are the chances of back pay :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Forget about backpay. But yeah after three years as a postgrad demonstrator you get the senior rate. Or if you have a Masters you get it as well. What you need to do is to contact Tahar and inform him that you qualify for senior demonstrator rate (give the reason why). Once he okays that you just tick the Senior demonstrator rate on the claim form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 7431roC

Yeah figured that was all I could do, just wasn't sure if they would start asking if it was a research masters and start getting picky about it or something.

It's annoying that I only found out about this by chance. It's not something they go out of their way to inform people about.

Thanks

Meh, common knowledge amongst most post grads in CSI. I even knew about it when i was an undergrad demonstrator. Anyway don't think they mind whether it's a taught or research masters as long as its a "recognisable" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Is it definitely after 3 years of demo'ing, because I asked the receptionist and she thought it was for your third year, i.e. after 2 years of demo'ing. Hmmm, might put the claim in for the higher rate and see what happens.

Nah def three years. Whoever signs off on the claim forms in your dept (Tahar in CSI) has to sign off on you getting the senior postgrad rate before you can claim for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement