Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IWA

• 17-09-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

The IWA are pathetic when it comes to looking for information:mad:!!! They're great at sending out information on parties/discos etc., but when ye go looking for information on your rights,entitlements, they are absolutely pathetic!???

Also, on an entirely different topic - It amazes/confuses me that the D.P.G has remained at €20,320 for the last 5 or 6 years, when it is well known that ye can get f**k all done to a house for that amount!!??

The government need to re-assess this grant.....quickly!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

since this isn't entirely related to the sticky and could result in the whole thread going off topic this post can be a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The IWA are pathetic when it comes to looking for information:mad:!!! They're great at sending out information on parties/discos etc., but when ye go looking for information on your rights,entitlements, they are absolutely pathetic!???
    Did you see the interesting article in the current Spokeout magazine about how Olan McGowan enforced his rights with Searsons pub chain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I was organising a trip away for a society, one guy is in a wheelchair. We just wanted to go somewhere, anywhere for a weekend. Asked the IWA and they hadn't a clue. I wasn't looking for information on a specific hotel, I wasn't looking for information on a specific town, I was looking for information on the southwest of Ireland. But no, no help at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Mental_Mickey, your best bet for info regarding rights and entitlements is your local CIC (Citzens Information Center). If you are in dublin the Clondalkin office has a very skilled disability outreach officer (who will also travel to other CIC's somtimes).

Buceph wrote:
    I was organising a trip away for a society, one guy is in a wheelchair. We just wanted to go somewhere, anywhere for a weekend. Asked the IWA and they hadn't a clue. I wasn't looking for information on a specific hotel, I wasn't looking for information on a specific town, I was looking for information on the southwest of Ireland. But no, no help at all.

I've been hearing this and saying this for more years than I can remember.
    They get huge grants and a lot of donations, spend it on building new buildings but have not got a clue what their memebers want or need.
    NOT (as they claim) because their memebers dont tell them, purely because they dont ask!

I've had one tiny letter in 10 years (!) asking for input from the organisation that Ive been a lifetime member of, and thats it.

They advertise a lot of services they claim to provide, but most of which are run by a single person who does other jobs and is impossible to contact on the phone. (try email but dont expect a quick reply).

They provide a few usefull services like their care attendant scheme, but considering the money involved it is very very inadequate. They could very easilly take on 3 times more attendants (who are urgently needed), without it making a dent in their bank account.

Yes they "employ" people with disabilities, but its VERY rare you hear about the organisation actually doing somthing, unless of course they get asked to do somthing small that will pay back in huge publicity.
    Publicity = more cash to add on a nice little room that will never be used foor them imho.

B

(Plz note: I must state this is all "in my opinion" as even though I know the numbers there is nothing I can publish to support them surprise surprise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Buceph wrote:
    Bord Failte's Validated Accessible scheme would have been a good starting point, but you'd need to follow up with a chat by phone to confirm that it meets your wheelchair user friend's specific requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

do the IWA ever send out surverys/ user feedback questionnaires to it's users? it's a pity if if they don't im sure the feedback would be useful..the trouble with alot of the voluntary sector currently is that that they get a lot of their funding from the goverment however they are not as accountable as a goverment department/ organisation as to where these funds go and who is chosen as the boss/ md is often not democratic.

The IWA are more like a semi state entity since introduction as one of the social partners ( part of the community and voluntary sector along with the traditional partners).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

RainyDay wrote:
    Did you see the interesting article in the current Spokeout magazine about how Olan McGowan enforced his rights with Searsons pub chain?

I read that article alright. Olan seems to have a very common sense approach and is a good advocate for disability rights.

I found the independent living / home adaption article interesting & informative too.

Overall, I like the direction the magazine has been going in recent issues (even if the advertising has grown to support the new more expensive format).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I thought the 2 for 1 coupon for eddie-rockets in the back was hilarious
    Show me a eddie rockets where the average wheelchair user can use one of their tables (all either insanely high with a metal stool bolted to the floor in front or in booths that have large step into each).

Made me chuckle ;)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

I thought the 2 for 1 coupon for eddie-rockets in the back was hilarious
    Show me a eddie rockets where the average wheelchair user can use one of their tables (all either insanely high with a metal stool bolted to the floor in front or in booths that have large step into each).

Made me chuckle ;)

B

LOL :D ... so true!

Advertisement