Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed governor

Options
  • 17-09-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Re : speeding

why go to all the effort to encourage slower driving, cameras, garda checks etc.
    Why are all cars not just fitted with speed governors/restrictor. (no good for keeping you at 50 in a 50 zone I know, but it would cut out the 120kph+ activity).

Does any one know if it exists in any country? Not that I know of. If not then is there some good reason for not using them. Technically there's no issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sandwich wrote:
    not then is there some good reason for not using them. Technically there's no issue.

Yes, they would be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Dangerous because they impede you from doing 130????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Sure look how well the limiters on trucks work.. hahaha

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

And prevent safe overtaking, accident avoidance and remove a valuable source of revenue for the government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

accident avoidance

And i was under the impression thats what brakes were for.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sandwich wrote:
    If not then is there some good reason for not using them. Technically there's no issue.

Some reasons:

- Not everyone keeps their car in Ireland all the time.
    - Driving at 100k in a 50k zone is a much bigger issue than doing 140k in a 120k zone.
    - Speeding on motorways simply isn't a big enough issue to enforce speed limiters.
    - Trucks have speed limiters because going over that speed can make them unstable (or so the reasoning goes), cars generally remain stable and controllable up to max speed.
    - Limiting speeds may cause accidents due to people getting caught out during overtaking (e.g. car coming from nowhere... it happens)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

oleras wrote:
    accident avoidance
    And i was under the impression thats what brakes were for.....:D
    Nope, that's what a brain is for.

Speed governors are dangerous for the reasons already stated, and also because people would treat them as a sort of 'poor man's cruise control'.

Rovi wrote:

Speed governors are dangerous for the reasons already stated, and also because people would treat them as a sort of 'poor man's cruise control'.

WOW.....LADIES AND GENTLEMEN........A FIRST....SOMEONE WHO CAN STOP THEIR CAR WITH THEIR MIND !! I BOW AT YOUR MENTAL ABILITY.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

oleras wrote:
    Rovi wrote:
    oleras wrote:
    accident avoidance
    And i was under the impression thats what brakes were for.....biggrin.gif
    WOW.....LADIES AND GENTLEMEN........A FIRST....SOMEONE WHO CAN STOP THEIR CAR WITH THEIR MIND !! I BOW AT YOUR MENTAL ABILITY.....:rolleyes:
    Where did I say anything about 'stopping the car?'

There's a lot more to 'accident avoidance' than jumping on the brakes.

Rovi wrote:
    Where did I say anything about 'stopping the car?'

There's a lot more to 'accident avoidance' than jumping on the brakes.

Ok, think about this for a minute........a car pulls out in front of you, what do you do ? a child runs out in front of you, what do you do ?....i know what i would do first and that would be jam on the brakes and if im still going to hit the car/child try and steer around it.....puting my foot down to try and accelerate from 120kph would not be option 1.
    And its a gimmie that i have ESP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

oleras wrote:
    Wow, I'm hoping that's sarcasm :rolleyes:

The previous poster meant that brakes are useful if you get into a sticky situation, but your brain should prevent you getting into that situation in the first place.

WizZard wrote:
    Wow, I'm hoping that's sarcasm :rolleyes:

The previous poster meant that brakes are useful if you get into a sticky situation, but your brain should prevent you getting into that situation in the first place.

me ? sarcastic ? never.......:D

and if our brains prevented us from getting in those situations we would not be discussing speed governers.

imo, there are very few arguments against them, maybe having to rush to a hospital with a choking child..... but argueing for them on the ground it makes overtaking safer ? cmon.... u shouldent break the limit overtaking, and i dont think you should be accelerating from max speed to avoid an accident either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

oleras wrote:
    ... but argueing for them on the ground it makes overtaking safer ? cmon.... u shouldent break the limit overtaking, and i dont think you should be accelerating from max speed to avoid an accident either.

It can happen, that say you are overtaking a truck on a single carriagway, a second car follows you to the wrong side of the road (shouldn'y happen, but does), and then say a third car joins the road and starts coming against you (againt it shouldn't happen but does).

In this situation braking isn't an option, and the best you can do is get to the right side of the road as fast as possible. When it comes to not breaking the law or not getting killed, not getting killed will be most peoples first choice.

maidhc wrote:
    It can happen, that say you are overtaking a truck on a single carriagway, a second car follows you to the wrong side of the road (shouldn'y happen, but does), and then say a third car joins the road and starts coming against you (againt it shouldn't happen but does).

In this situation braking isn't an option, and the best you can do is get to the right side of the road as fast as possible. When it comes to not breaking the law or not getting killed, not getting killed will be most peoples first choice.

like the choking child scenario, this is not something that happens in everyday life, thank goodness...there will always be extremes of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

oleras wrote:
    like the choking child scenario, this is not something that happens in everyday life, thank goodness...there will always be extremes of situations.
    So why choose to potentially get those people killed - especially when it'll not reduce the deaths caused by doing 80km/h in a 50km/h zone.

WizZard wrote:
    So why choose to potentially get those people killed - especially when it'll not reduce the deaths caused by doing 80km/h in a 50km/h zone.

choose ?..... choose what ? 80 in a 50 ? are you on the right thread, are we talking about speed limits or speed limitors ?......either way, time for my bed....long night, maybe im just not getting it cos im tired........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oh ffs, what next? Why don't we just get trackers and barcodes on everyone in the country. That way we could all live in perfect harmoney :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And what happens the next time the powers that be want to raise the motorway speed limit like they did a while back (change to metric speed limits)?

Or for that matter if all cars were restricted to 120km/h, what use would it be if they decided to *lower* the motorway speed limit?

mloc123 wrote:
    Oh ffs, what next? Why don't we just get trackers and barcodes on everyone in the country. That way we could all live in perfect harmoney :rolleyes:

you must have read my mind !! lol....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Aren't all cars in Japan limited to 180km/h?

I also remember our car in Saudi (1991 Mazda 323) used to start pinging if you went over 120km/h - that was just bloody annoying though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Aren't all cars in Japan limited to 180km/h?

I also remember our car in Saudi (1991 Mazda 323) used to start pinging if you went over 120km/h - that was just bloody annoying though :(

OK so maybe it is at least possible, despite some of the views above. Any one for sure about Japan or Saudi? 180k still sounds to quick to me (unless the speed limit is really 180 then it sounds like the govt is saying 'yeh speed a bit, but not too much').

Why not 140kph or 120kph? ( The "I need to drive faster that that to escape danger" efforts above are just rediculous - no normal cars have safe handling if taking evasive action, at those speed, while accelerating!!!)

Of the stats on speeding causing accidents, anyone know whether it is the drivers doing 80 in a 50 zone, or the ones doing 140 in a 100 or zone contributing to the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sandwich wrote:
    OK so maybe it is at least possible, despite some of the views above.
    Of course it's possible, many German cars sold here are limited to 250km/h.
    Sandwich wrote:
    Why not 140kph or 120kph? ( The "I need to drive faster that that to escape danger" efforts above are just rediculous - no normal cars have safe handling if taking evasive action, at those speed, while accelerating!!!)
    Maidhc has already explained why not for you.
    Sandwich wrote:
    Of the stats on speeding causing accidents, anyone know whether it is the drivers doing 80 in a 50 zone, or the ones doing 140 in a 100 or zone contributing to the figures?
    There are no such stats, as nobody (with the possible exception of the occupants) knows how fast each car was going before it crashed.

Advertisement