Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wired

• 17-09-2006 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just to give you an idea of my environment. As I type this to you I have 3 monitors running in front of me. Two computer screens and a TV (muted) and music running too.

My problem (if it even is such?) is I simply cannot relax or just sit there doing nothing for even an hour.

In work I go flat-out all day and occasionally miss lunch not because I'm particularly driven or consciences but purely because I can't stop can't stand being idle. Someone joked the other day because they saw me using two computers simultaneously (If only they'd known I was at half pace!).

I spend about 1.5 hours a day on the bus and even then I'll have audiobooks or language guides running in order to be constantly taking in information.

I'll read probably 2 or 3 books simultaneously (not literally all at once but you get what I mean) and spend practically all my free-time taking information from the internet/television and other sources. I basically find myself fascinated by so many things and spend on average 17 hours a day either working or absorbing information. I'm like a walking encyclopaedia at this point. People are sometimes amazed/scared by the stuff I know.

On top of this I'm also studying for a degree part time (my second degree) and I'll probably take a full working day each Sunday doing that too.

I sleep probably 4-5 hours per day and I don't eat much. But the things I never feel tired though. I don't take stimulants or drugs and I really don't know how to slow down. I'm kind of concerned this is all going to catch up on me some day and I'm going to burn out completely. But I've been doing this for years now and I don't even feel it in the slightest. I'm 30 now if that if any use to you.

So should this even concern me? Or should I be grateful that I can keep going at such a pace? If it's a bad thing for me to be does anyone have any tips for me on how to cut back and relax without it irritating me to the point of quitting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

If you are a finding it a problem then go seek some help. Talk to your doctor and he should be able to reccomend a psychologist who can work with you to get you to slow down and relax. Behavioural problems can be solved, it just takes a bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polly~Flower

I think you need to slow down.. Thats a lot of hours doing a lot of things.. and by the sounds of it you realise it yourself just by asking the question. a friend of mine had similar symptoms and it turned out he had a thyroid problem.. fixed v easily. You could try drinking camomile tea at night, taking a yoga class.. sounds like you don't really know how to relax.. and relaxing is nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It must be a concern if you're posting.

If I may ask a question: Are you in a realationship and if so how does your situation effect it?

I ask because, if you're not but plan to be, being "wired" may well have an adverse effect on that. Your best bit is to take a short break somwhere where you won;t have anything electronic to play with. Mountains, Lakes, Boat on the Shannon, something like that. Failing that, try meditation. Can do no harm, even if it doesn;t work.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

This actually sounds like a more severe case of what I have...
    Remembering random little facts about everything from every source possible, then spewing this useless information everywhere.

I turned it into a productive ability: started working in Argos, with the aim of knowing every detail about every item. I'm not doing too bad (though people are screwed if i'm on refund counter and their stuff isn't broken!)

If you think it's taking over your life, perhaps you should see someone however...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Have a joint and watch the transformers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

craichoe advocating or suggesting that someone preform an illegal act can get you banned from this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

one word... yoga, it is great for the body and mind, and you physically have to slow down to do the proper positions and also you are still learning something new in a way.. so happy days all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

You ve obviously just got an inquisitive mind, I personally would be happy.
    The more you know the better off you'll be, plus you need to trust in your body, it will slow down when you need to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Try chilling out with some classical music or try meditation. Sounds to me like you feel you always have to be stimulated by something.

The answer to this question will help you see where your problems are seated:

"Do you feel the need to always be active or do you feel that your activity makes your life worthwhile?"

One is just habit, whereas in the case of the latter you may have a more serious problem. If you can't sort yourself out, get help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Could be OCD - Go to the docs and they can put your mind at ease. Wouldn't mind having such a problem myself. There is nothing wrong with bettering yourself unless of course it has negative effects on your health and other aspects of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Thaedydal wrote:
    craichoe advocating or suggesting that someone preform an illegal act can get you banned from this forum.

He never said he was in a country where it was illegal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mojito wrote:
    You need to get out more.

I agree with this. Maybe start excercising. Go for a run whenever you have free time. It'll wear you out and might help you relax. And if it doesn't relax you and you still have so much energy to burn off, then you'll be fit as a fiddle in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

It sounds like you are unconsciously trying to put off dealing with things you are afraid of dealing with, such as the oncoming responsibility of your late 20s/early 30s maybe? When you are working non-stop, there is no time for enjoying the more relaxed background things in life such as, well, relationships, being outside, etc.
    Arrange to talk to someone, and try to forget about things to be done; your health is much more important. It's possible you are afraid of letting things slide if you stop doing things.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

craichoe wrote:
    Have a joint and watch the transformers

Ahhh!!! Finally a solution to all of lifes problems :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Been there done that, doing two jobs + 1.5 days of college per week. 110 hour weeks. After 9 months I couldn't remember the last time I saw a child (any child) and couldn't count a 50 pound float for a cash register.
    Wired2118 wrote:
    I spend about 1.5 hours a day on the bus and even then I'll have audiobooks or language guides running in order to be constantly taking in information.
    Perhaps get a bike, its exercise, its stimulating and its time by yourself. Even if its a couple of tiems per week. Just remember to **not** bring the audiobooks.

Advertisement