Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford & VW parts...

Options
  • 17-09-2006 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

My dad recommends only 2 types of cars: Fords & VWs - due to the wide availability of parts (hes a mechanic) and cheapness as compared with other (as he says) "foreign imports" (I think he is referring to Japenese cars etc...)
    Would you agree with his view?

Comments appreciated,
    Mhaire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If u buy Japanese you're less likely to NEED replacement parts I'd reckon...

Anyway are VW parts really 'cheap'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pburns wrote:
    If u buy Japanese you're less likely to NEED replacement parts I'd reckon...

I concur...plus all of our mass market vehicles are imported since Ford fu<ked off.

Toyotas are made in UK, France and Turkey. VWs in Germany and Czech Republic. Mercs in Turkey too but mainly Germany. Ford is an American corporation now, Nissan is Japanese, doesn't mean the parts SHOULD be a different price. Not necessarily how life works though.

If he means cars originally reg'd outside the state (i.e. Japan) then he'd be correct. Friend's mom had a Mazda Familia import which she hit another car at 5mph in at lights. The bullbar buckled and needed replacement. It was more than the car was worth to get the new bullbar from japan.

for an equivalent Irish 323 though the parst would have been in the country already or easily available

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mhaire_s wrote:
    Hi,

My dad recommends only 2 types of cars: Fords & VWs - due to the wide availability of parts (hes a mechanic) and cheapness as compared with other (as he says) "foreign imports" (I think he is referring to Japenese cars etc...)
    Would you agree with his view?

Comments appreciated,
    Mhaire.

VWs are not as bomb proof these days as they claim to be or people generally think. To be honest all cars can have problems but some have more than others.

Not sure about VW parts but Ford parts have always been generally cheap and there are plenty about. Fords are quite reliable too for the last 10 years or so.

Regarding "foreign imports" well he is a mechanic who makes a living from fixing cars so I'm hardly surprised he doesn't recommending them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

and how can he be as specific as to say VW and FORD? sure most parts that would be replaced in a VW for example would be the same parts going into a Skoda/Seat/VW/Audi. Its the same idea with GM parts (Opel)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

and how can he be as specific as to say VW and FORD? sure most parts that would be replaced in a VW for example would be the same parts going into a Skoda/Seat/VW/Audi.

Yeah, all made by BOSCH.

I'd say he is getting VW/Ford parts at a discount price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ninty9er wrote:
    Friend's mom had a Mazda Familia import which she hit another car at 5mph in at lights. The bullbar buckled and needed replacement. It was more than the car was worth to get the new bullbar from japan.

for an equivalent Irish 323 though the parst would have been in the country already or easily available

If you don't mind me asking, why was there a bullbar on a car?:confused:

Advertisement