Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student wants to study Medicine

Options
  • 18-09-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi There,

I'm 23 did my LC in 2002 so qualify next year to reapply through the CAO as a mature student.
    I want to study medicine and have done for some time I did an average Lc(395points) but have not got one science subject to back me up.
    When I chose my LC subjects after JC I dropped all my science subjects mainly because I didn't get on with the teacher(in hine sight a really imature and silly move) but I was a kid.
    So what are my chances of getting into medicine without the basics in science or is there somewhere I can get up to speed on what's covered in the LC sciences without having to actually repeat?
    And also is there any hospitals , hospices or charity's that need volunteers in a medical sort of backround? I volunteer already with a childrens organisation but its nothing to do with medicine so maybe want to volunteer for something that would look better on my application(I know, quite a selfish reason to change charities but its got to be done-its a competitive world out there!)
    And last question-realistically what are my chances of getting into medicine? Don't mind what college
    I'd really appreciate any comments, feedback,answers or opinions on this.

regards
    Snowbird:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

To be honest I don't think you would stand a chance.

Places for medicine are far too competitive.

Maybe get in touch with Rcsi
    http://www.rcsi.ie/medical_school/index.asp?id=45 and have a chat iwth them about what requirements they need but chances are they will want a BSc or a close to 600 point lc.

Maybe as an alternative medical science ?
    http://www.gmit.ie/prospective_students/propectus2006/science/GA785/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Sign up to repeat the leaving cert, only do the science subjects... If you REALLY want to do medicine then waiting another year won't really be an issue. You'll only have to study for 3 subjects, you should hope to get an A in all of them, higher... Plus it may look good on your application that you purposely repeated the leaving for this very reason.

Other than that, contact someone in the college itself, the head of the faculty or something, ask them personally what they look for in a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 snowbird2006

I'll look into that, never realised you could repeat just a few subjects.

Thanks for the info:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

you could try getting a degree in science in NUIG and then move into pre-med somewhere, it's an extra 3-4 years but it's an option.

Advertisement