Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Movie making software

• 18-09-2006 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

Im looking for some movie making software for the PC. I have a number of clips I want to put together, edit them, add some music and add the odd caption. My files are in AVI for mat but i will need to also compress them. So im wondering if any one knows any easy to use software or has and general advice for me, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well.

If you have windows XP then you already have windows movie maker, which should be in your program files somewhere.

Its generally quite easy to use, import the files and then place them on the timeline and trim them or move them to match what you want. And then throw the soundtrack on as well.

I dont use it personnally because it doesnt allow as much freedom or as much depth as other programs.

The problem with other programs is, the vast majority of them cost a pretty penny, adobe premiere pro and Avid being the two big ones.

Avid have a demo version of their software called Avidfree, which again I havent used personnally but its an option if your finding windows movie maker far too restrictive.

I dont know if there's a demo of adobe premiere.

Then there's Final Cut pro, but that works on macs only.

And Vegas which I dont know much about because I never used it personnally.

The one I use most is Final Cut Pro, because I have access to my old university's computers. Then I have used Adobe Premiere alot and a little bit of windows movie maker.

All of them offer some form of compression so that shouldnt be a problem.
    I have a number of clips I want to put together, edit them, add some music and add the odd caption.

All programs will allow you to do that. Even windows movie maker, pretty easy and quick.

If your having problems just come back and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah cool man thanks. I have that windows movie maker so i`ll try start with that. Ive heard with abode premier Pro so I might try to move on to that later on so. I`ll get cracking after work today and see how I get on.

Thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pinnacle is the closest I've seen to iMovie on windows. It's fairly reasonably priced too.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Autobot Killa

Dont use AVID, its what the dinosaurs used to document their downfall. If your serious about movie editing and want to spend money, get final cut pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well ok thanks for those recomendations. I used windows movie maker and did find it a little restrective but I pretty much got what I wanted out of it. I was making a game trailer for a new PC game that is still in an early stage of development.

Here is my first effort, its an early attempt to use WMM and it was more of an expirment to see what I can do first. Just in case any one was intrested.
    http://bfv.1st-ib.net/sigs/epochtrailer.wmv

I may look in to that pinical one for my next attpmpt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement