Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reluctantly Approaching Eircom

• 18-09-2006 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Well my bid to recieve wireless broadband has failed and I am in the unfortunate position of having to get the phone line. There is one in the house but I've never used it as I've just moved in. I was wondering if anybody knows the procedure to get the line re-activated and then get it upgraded (if needed). Also, are eircom the best to stay with as regards broadband?, or would I be better off with someone else (e.g. Smart). Sorry bout all the rookie questions.....I've had BB for ages but it's always been wireless or cable based (NTL).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Your better off going with Eircom to get the line activated in the first place.

Once the line is in and you have an account number your in a much better position if you want to go with any of the non-eircom dsl providers (LLU or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

hamsterboy wrote:
    Hi All
    Well my bid to recieve wireless broadband has failed and I am in the unfortunate position of having to get the phone line. There is one in the house but I've never used it as I've just moved in. I was wondering if anybody knows the procedure to get the line re-activated
    www.eircom.ie/Products & Services/Phonelines.
    Also, are eircom the best to stay with as regards broadband?, or would I be better off with someone else (e.g. Smart).
    If Smart is available in your area (check your neighbours phone number), then go with Smart. It'll take a few weeks after the line is re-enabled. If Smart or Magnet aren't in your lcal exchange, then BT is currently the best deal - you can get 1MB DSL and your line rental for €35, whereas line rental alone will cost €24.18 if you stay with eircom. (But you have to start off by getting the line from eircom in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best off getting the line activated first with Eircom anyway. You can get other operators to activate it for you, such as Smart or BT, but anytime I've heard of someone doing this it has taken ages. If you ring Eircom yourself today, the line will be active tomorrow. You'll need to wait up to a month for the line to be tested for broadband too.

Before doing anything though, make sure the line is connected to an enabled exchange and also that you are within about 4-5km of it. This won't guarantee you can get broadband but it does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers guys for all the advice
    Just line checked the pub down the road and the exchange for the area is not broadband enabled so I guess thats me screwed. I do have one last hope in another small local provider but ther installation costs are nuts.......ah well, can't exactly live without it now I've had BB for so long!

Advertisement