Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Kenny... would he drive you to drink?

• 18-09-2006 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Yet again Pat has someone on about wine. How much does RTE get paid for features like this, If they are getting paid should we not be told?

If they're not getting any cash why are there free adverts about wine on the show all the time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

In fairness Meeja he had a dude from NZ on about his wines.... When you look at it objectively, a good % of people on RTE are plugging SOMETHING.

Its either a book, a product, a service, or something..

PK is usually well informed and briefed,which is something I cannot say for some others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And wines would be a topic of interest to a lot of people.

It's really not much different to talking about the latest cinema releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

In fairness Meeja he had a dude from NZ on about his wines.... When you look at it objectively, a good % of people on RTE are plugging SOMETHING.

Its either a book, a product, a service, or something..

PK is usually well informed and briefed,which is something I cannot say for some others.

Fair enough, a lot of the show is plugging something or other. However, there's always someone from somewhere on about wine roughly once a week. If someone is plugging a book you might get some info about a subject. When it's wine, we hear Pat saying 'A hint of lemon' 3 or 4 times.

He does have an intellegence which is not used properly by RTE, but when he strays outside of certain subjects, he's very poorly informed and briefed. Agan that's not his fault, more the production team.

My main point is that certain items sound like advertising features, usually when it comes to wine. At least when it's a book or service the odd hard question pops up.

Now Meeja....What I'd REALLY like to know is how many cases of that wine did PK and the production team take home with them.....(if any)

Now there's the REAL question isn't it?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

i'm sure one or two of them were appreciated its fine bouquet and delicate nose later that night.

RTE don't get paid for those types of features. certainly not on the radio end of things. however, the guest usually leaves a couple of 'samples' around for the staff to taste. generates a bit of good will and makes it easier to get invited back...

• Advertisement

Not on the actual topic but listening to Kenny this morning Thur.

He is sounding off yet again about Ryder Cup Security!! He is using the classic Gay Byrne technique of puzzlement about the issue ,throwing out the popular opinion,mixing in a few anomalies,yet totally disregarding the REAL issue, which is running an event like this, and eliminating as many security risks as possible,and then promulgating, and implementing this system.!!!

I have to say he has diminished in my estimation after this mornings rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a load of tosh! Kenny was right to be the man with "a pint of plain". The security level is a joke and he is right to query is necessity and the difficulties its putting real people through. Speaking as a diabetic I'm appaled at the nonsense thats going on.

Mike.

The diabetic thing has been sorted out as far as I know... I agree with you on that issue.

However I would go along with any logical measures taken to ensure that the threat of terrorist attack/bomb scares/security issues is kept to the absolute minimum.I am not assuming to know any intellegence in the possession of security forces. Perhaps yourself and Pat know the inside track??

If i was RESPONSIBLE for the security of such an event and the safe conduct and enjoyment of players and spectators over 3 days I would do exactly the same......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trouble is if any random Islamic jihadist nutter really did want to get the front page all he's need to do is hire a private plane for the day.

Mike.

I would be very surprised if the air space surrounding the K Club was not a 'no fly' zone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement