Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Volvo S40 2.0D SE RESALE VALUE?

Options
  • 18-09-2006 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

does anyone know what the resale on the 2006 model 2.0D SE spec S40 is?
    do they hold their value well ?

bought it in feb 06 new for €34k cash deal.

whats it worth now? it has 17k KM on the clock ,met paint SE

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

it's got 1 years mileage on it.... I guess <30k would do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

since i bought it in feb new it has gone up 1200 euro in price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

EIN wrote:
    since i bought it in feb new it has gone up 1200 euro in price

I'd say it will loose about 6k in the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

what colour is it . is it a safe colour or one of those burgundy or greeny silver ones?

its silver metallic , Volvo color code 426

• Advertisement

are you selling it privately etc , i say list it 30000 and go from there.

yes selling it privately,dont know yet what i want to buy!

was looking at an estate, thinking of the new avensis estate! apparently volvos are expensive to service, toyota is far cheaper..

i was thinking of changing the volvo, as i hear that they depreciate a fair bit.

and i need a bigger car

i dont want to start another debate but the octavia estate range although a 1.4 starts from 19000 euro which is very good value but if you really need the space maybe a renault kanagroo for 12000. (thought not!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

"i hear they depreciate a fair bit"

yes, and you are hearing it again from us here.
    and you are going to learn about it to if you sell it after 1 year after buying from new... you are looking at losing 4-6k for your years ownership!!!

3ps wrote:
    "i hear they depreciate a fair bit"

yes, and you are hearing it again from us here.
    and you are going to learn about it to if you sell it after 1 year after buying from new... you are looking at losing 4-6k for your years ownership!!!

the s40 is a great car cant fault it.. would i be better holding on to it?

in terms of residual values

dealer told me a 2 year change costs €10-11k

so it looks like year 2 is bad too.

• Advertisement

EIN wrote:
    the s40 is a great car cant fault it.. would i be better holding on to it?

in terms of residual values

so it looks like year 2 is bad too.

That cars loose substantial sums of money is not news. An Avensis won't be a massive amount better either tbh. Our Avensis is a 2002 model with 90k miles and a dealer will offer no more than 10k against a new one. Since there is a cash discount of over 2k going on the Avensis at the moment, this means we are being offered about €8k for the car. I can see it being driven into the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would probably get around €29k/30k from a dealer for it depending on what you trade it for. You will get less for it selling private.

Depreciation starts to level out on most cars after about 3 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

c.20% of the list price, when you bought it. The fact that it's still 06 will help.

i hear that the avensis has similar trend on depreciation as a lot of them are sold as hire drive models that come back to the dealers round sep/oct.

so there is usually a lot of them for sale, hence the high depreciation.

however i like the extras that the s40 has.

maidhc wrote:
    That cars loose substantial sums of money is not news. An Avensis won't be a massive amount better either tbh. Our Avensis is a 2002 model with 90k miles and a dealer will offer no more than 10k against a new one. Since there is a cash discount of over 2k going on the Avensis at the moment, this means we are being offered about €8k for the car. I can see it being driven into the ground!

Your trading the old model Avensis against the new one. The old model will always be worth substantially less when the new model hits the market. Dealers are full of old model Avensis since 2004/2005 when there was a large number of them traded in for the new model. Alot of people like to have the current model so dealers are still stuck with them. 2003 new model 1.6 Avensis are still fetching around €15k/16k. I was thinking of changing my one last year and it was only costing me €6,500 to trade up and that was with 75k miles on the clock.

Back on topic. To the OP your going to loose alot selling a car only a year old. I would hold on to it for a while and get some of your money's worth out of it.

bazz26 wrote:
    You would probably get around €29k/30k from a dealer for it depending on what you trade it for. You will get less for it selling private.

Depreciation starts to level out on most cars after about 3 years.

I wont get less for it selling it privately.

sold an 05 car last year, got the asking price ( its value then) then saved 2k on the price of the new car!

bazz you must be a dealer are you?

purely out of interest what did you sell as an 05 that kept its value. really if your going to buy a new car which is always poor value you would be better of keeping a small car for 3 years and cars slightly bigger for about 4-5 years to get some sense of value for money.

an avensis will probably be quite good at keeping its value but again your still going to be losing a fair bit on if you sell it on fast.

i know your after an estate so maybe an 07 mini cooper clubman . I dont think there that far away , although horrible looking you might get on to a winner as estate mini may keep its novelty value and hence keep good residuals or it could just flop.

you could also get a VW Golf GTI Commerical if you needed only 2 seats , great performance , good residuals and a big boot.

EIN wrote:
    I wont get less for it selling it privately.

sold an 05 car last year, got the asking price ( its value then) then saved 2k on the price of the new car!

Sounds like you did well, if I was paying that much for a newish car then I would expect to pay less in a private sale than from a dealer. A dealer factors overheads, servicing costs and trade-in allowance into their prices.
    EIN wrote:
    bazz you must be a dealer are you?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EIN wrote:

Sounds about right. First year €6.5k, second year €4.5k depreciation or thereabouts
    EIN wrote:
    I wont get less for it selling it privately

Not a hope you'll get €30k for it privately. Although having said that, there are fools out there. Worth a try advertising at €29,995 :)

yeah put it up on adverts.ie and the rest and see what you can get .

where are you based EIN . Your not in Cork by any chance because I saw an overpriced 06 volvo s40 on cbg or carzone a while back?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Sounds like you did well, if I was paying that much for a newish car then I would expect to pay less in a private sale than from a dealer. A dealer factors overheads, servicing costs and trade-in allowance into their prices.

Nope.

when trading in a car, a dealer usually gives you about €1000 less than the car is worth in a trade in.

they also charge you the full retail cost on the price of the new car.

when i sold the 05 car its value was 19k dealer was offering 18k

i sold it for 19k privately with 2yrs manufacturers warranty ..

then saved €2k on the price of the new car!! (cash discount)

i got 1000 euro more value selling the car privately than trading in

what car was it ? , its hard for an private buyer to part with 19000 as opposed to over 30000 . its all psycological.

was a corolla saloon 1.4 Diesel D4D

unkel wrote:
    Sounds about right. First year €6.5k, second year €4.5k depreciation or thereabouts

Not a hope you'll get €30k for it privately. Although having said that, there are fools out there. Worth a try advertising at €29,995 :)

have a look
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=499477
    this one has higher miles , cash price is 32.5k and it sold at that i believe.

i should have no difficulty selling it, so im told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

EIN wrote:
    apparently volvos are expensive to service, toyota is far cheaper..

I take it that it doesn't have a Full Service History then! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    I take it that it doesn't have a Full Service History then! ;)

wot are you on about?

what doesent have a full service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EIN wrote:
    have a look
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=499477
    this one has higher miles , cash price is 32.5k and it sold at that i believe

How do you know it was sold? According to that link, it was confirmed to be still in stock last Friday. Anyways, €33.5k is a silly asking price as it is just €2k lower than the list price. A brand new one (not second hand) could be had for around the €33k mark for cash with no part-ex no doubt

Only a complete eejit would give you €30k for it second hand to be brutally honest

unkel wrote:
    How do you know it was sold? According to that link, it was confirmed to be still in stock last Friday. Anyways, €33.5k is a silly asking price as it is just €2k lower than the list price. A brand new one (not second hand) could be had for around the €33k mark for cash with no part-ex no doubt

Only a complete eejit would give you €30k for it second hand to be brutally honest
    rubbish you cant get a NEW 2.0D SE S40 for €33k...cash

i bought a new S40 in FEB 2.0D SE for €34,000 cash, and the car has gone up 1200 euro in price since!!!!!

i rang around a few dealers and the best cash price for a new s40 2.0D SE
    is €35,500 cash deal! so €30k is not unrealistic!!! for a car with 10,500miles on it.

also 17,000 kilometers is low mileage for a diesel or a petrol !! its only 10,500 miles approx and below the yearly average.

neways i decided to push the boat out and am going for the V70 D5 2.4 SE with all the trimmings, its a huge machine, and more than enough space me..

EIN wrote:
    is €35,500 cash deal! so €30k is not unrealistic!!! for a car with 10,500miles on it.

The value of a s/h car is measured by what people are prepared to pay. If someone will pay 30k then it is worth it, if not, then it isn't.

I would imagine though it will take a while to find someone willing to pay 30k in a private sale. If you look at adverts.ie for example, the rubbish flys out the door, but expensive stuff (e.g. over 10k) is very slow.

The other thing to remember is people won't necessarily compare your "SE" spec with a new "SE" spec car, and you shouldn't really be counting on getting much of the premium you paid for the higher spec back. A new "S" spec is 2.5k less, while a new 1.6 S spec is 5.5k less and the same as your asking price. This is a factor many people will consider in the era of age related number plates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Smiley101

EIN wrote:
    rubbish you cant get a NEW 2.0D SE S40 for €33k...cash

i bought a new S40 in FEB 2.0D SE for €34,000 cash, and the car has gone up 1200 euro in price since!!!!!

also 17,000 kilometers is low mileage for a diesel or a petrol !! its only 10,500 miles approx and below the yearly average.

neways i decided to push the boat out and am going for the V70 D5 2.4 SE with all the trimmings, its a huge machine, and more than enough space me..

Was just wondering...does is cost a lot to change a car so frequently. I noticed you went from an 05 Corolla to an 06 S40 and now you are looking at a V70.

The dealers must love to see you coming

Advertisement