Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Volvo S40 2.0D SE RESALE VALUE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EIN wrote:
    rubbish you cant get a NEW 2.0D SE S40 for €33k...cash

Wanna bet? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

unkel wrote:
    Wanna bet? ;)
    sure..

no dealer is going to give you a new s40 SE 2.0D with met paint
    for 32/33 k cash...

Smiley101 wrote:
    Was just wondering...does is cost a lot to change a car so frequently. I noticed you went from an 05 Corolla to an 06 S40 and now you are looking at a V70.

The dealers must love to see you coming

i normally change car every year, if i see something new that i like then i buy
    yeah sometimes can cost a bit alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It takes a bit more than a phone call to squirt the last possible discounted euro out of a dealer ;)

33k cash compared to 35.65k list is just a 7% discount...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discounts depend on many factors. Time of year being a good one. if the dealer is looking for numbers say to make quota for volume rebates at the end of a quarter, then March June and Sept. are excellent times to cut a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Anywhere between 31500 and 32000 is what you should be looking for the car.

RedorDead wrote:
    Anywhere between 31500 and 32000 is what you should be looking for the car.

EXACTLY THATS WHAT I THOUGHT MYSELF. THE VOLVO S40 2.0D SE WITH METALLIC PAINT IS AROUND 37,000 RETAIL PRICE FOR A NEW ONE.

I THOUGHT 30K WAS A BIT LOW MYSELF FOR AN 06 S40 WITH MET AND 17,000 KM ON THE CLOCK.

A FEW DEALERS HAVE CONFIRMED THIS VALUE (31,500 TO 32000) ALSO AND ALSO ONE TOLD ME THAT HE SOLD ONE TODAY FOR 32K CASH DEAL.

SO THERE YA GO! HAPPY DAYS!:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

EIN wrote:
    A FEW DEALERS HAVE CONFIRMED THIS VALUE (31,500 TO 32000) ALSO AND ALSO ONE TOLD ME THAT HE SOLD ONE TODAY FOR 32K CASH DEAL.

The point is though if a dealer sold a car for €32k you would need to be undercutting that by a reasonable sum (a couple grand at that level i suspect!). The reason for this is because buying privately rather than from a franchised dealer is far more risky for the buyer (history, clocking etc) and they have far less legal protection if something goes wrong.

I am not saying your car is anything other than genuine, but that is the reality.

maidhc wrote:
    The point is though if a dealer sold a car for €32k you would need to be undercutting that by a reasonable sum (a couple grand at that level i suspect!). The reason for this is because buying privately rather than from a franchised dealer is far more risky for the buyer (history, clocking etc) and they have far less legal protection if something goes wrong.

I am not saying your car is anything other than genuine, but that is the reality.

THE CAR HASNT HAD ITS FIRST SERVICE YET, AA CAN DO A CAR CHECK FOR A BUYER, TO VERIFY ALL IS OK, AND YOU CAN DO A HPI CHECK TO CHECK FOR OUTSTANDING, FINANCE ETC.,. ALSO THE CAR STILL HAS OVER 1 YEARS WARRANTY LEFT WITH THE MANUFACTURER,,.,

SO WHERES THE RISK? YOU WOULD GET THE SAME WARRANTY IF BOUGHT FROM A DEALER!

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

EIN wrote:
    SO WHERES THE RISK? YOU WOULD GET THE SAME WARRANTY IF BOUGHT FROM A DEALER!

:confused::confused:

The sale of goods act is far more restrictive when buying from a private individual, likewise things like the small claims court are not available if it turned out the car had a previous crash.

There is also comfort in buying a car from a franchised dealer, especially when spending a lot of money. I think most people feel the same way, and as a result second hand prices will be substantially higher with them. The reason is most people, reasonably enough, believe such dealers have too much to loose by acting the maggot.

But obviously as a seller your aim is to get the highest price possible. If you get 32k then fair play! Your aim is to convince potential buyers, not me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement