Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you join?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lgbt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Ugh... I'm so easily seduced.

ELS, Philsoc, Filmsoc, Dramsoc, Gamesoc, Sci-fi Soc, Netsoc, Law soc (ONLY for the free stuff), L&H (because i might like to debate...not because it's the worlds biggest society or whatever).

That's all, i think... I hope that's all. Please let that be all :(

(edit: ****, and comedy soc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

JazzSoc, L&H and GameSoc. There was nobody at the NetSoc table :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Scraggs wrote:
    [and I fainted in the tent :eek:]
    you must have seen me and went weak at the knees ;)

i joined arch soc, deutsch soc and tennis club.

does anyone have any recommendations for other fun small socs or clubs in which the craic and banter is mighty and everyone is fun lovin with excellent regular social events? [no politcs or agendas please]

think i'll join jazz and blues soc too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

not a blatent plug, but DutchSoc is small, and many allegations of craic affiliation abound but we deny them ;)
    Definitly no politics and Id say every one is pretty fun lovin when the booze comes out :D

• Advertisement

sign me up

Waltons wrote:
    JazzSoc, L&H and GameSoc. There was nobody at the NetSoc table :(
    I noticed that actually and was quite surpriesed. They were gone for a good long while. I saved my last 2e for them but they were atually 3 :(

Ive been too busy to join much but,
    Join a society with a trip somewhere
    Join a soc that will give you year ong benifits (nite club / cinema concessions - netsoc has 2bg ftp)
    Join a soc who offer a pack worth > 2e to you. eg I was hungry so joined the first soc with pizza

On that last note, C&E gave me a condom, a t shirt, pizza, a drink, sweeties, concession card, coupon books, magazine and a discount on my commball ticket - and since Im final commerce thats worth a bit

Grimes wrote:
    sign me up
    we werent planning on being around wednesday but apparently the afternoon is to be very busy what with the iron stomach and all. There will prob be someone on the stand from 11-1:30 and *should* be from 1:30-4

look out for me ill be at the Belfield FM tent from 1-5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The ELS has a trip away, and our handmade goodies are priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I just joined the Comedysoc before going into see David O' Doherty... what a total genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Havent been in belfield ssince I got back but will try and make it out on Thursday

Am going to join world aid soc,med soc,lgb soc,comedy soc and islamic soc.
    I am determoned not to get swayed by any other socs but I just know its going to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Archaeological Society, History Society, Classical Society, ELS (cos Blush caught me), Pagan Society (cos I am a tree hugging type), LGBT, PhilSoc... that is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I was looking for netsoc today but couldn't find them :(

So far LnH, LawSoc, BnL prob will join RetroSoc + Q as well. I'm basically joining all the ones where I have frineds on the comittee, oh + BFm, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

In the end I joined boxing, squash, karate (because my girlfriend is on the committee) and I am playing super league soccer. So my schedule is monday is boxing, tuesday soccer, wed squash and boxing, thurs soccer, fri boxing, sat soccer and karate, should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

dajaffa wrote:
    I was looking for netsoc today but couldn't find them :(
    yeah same here, the stand was empty, its the only one I actually want to join too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i joined l+h,historysoc,gamesoc[and damn proud of it too ;) ], deutschsoc, c&e, lawsoc,outreach. i might join cumann gaelach tomorrow and netsoc.

for sports i wanted to play rugby and gaelic football but they only have 2 teams each so i joined the next best things... cricket and rifle&pistol :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Apparently I'm now on the JazzSoc committee. There should be a fairly large jam tomorrow for anyone interested.
    Got a comedysoc membership card for free and got into David O'Doherty (funny stuff, poor opening guy :p ) for free. Then I joined DutchSoc, DramaSoc and LawSoc (for free pizza which I didn't get any of in the end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

18AD wrote:
    Apparently I'm now on the JazzSoc committee. There should be a fairly large jam tomorrow for anyone interested.

See you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Joined Lawsoc. Want to do the debates
    Joined Philosophy Soc Good Guys

VChairman YPDS, Had to Join. So should You

Might Join L&H to speak at Abortion and MCDowell debate ?

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote:

Might Join L&H to speak at Abortion and MCDowell debate ?
    Id like to speak at a few debates this year but Im unsure how one gets to speak at them?Somoene said you have to sign up at a notice board?Where is this I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

panda100 wrote:
    Id like to speak at a few debates this year but Im unsure how one gets to speak at them?Somoene said you have to sign up at a notice board?Where is this I wonder?

From next week on (probably starting with the Abortion debate) I'll be organising student speakers for L&H debates. The sign up sheet for house debates will go up on the L&H noticeboard which is now around the corner from where it used to be in the Arts block...i.e. where they're doing the travelcards at the moment. It will have the motion for the debate and a space to put down whether you want to speak proposition or opposition. The sheet will go up on the Monday or Tuesday...I'll get back on this! If anyone would like my number aswell just drop me a PM. People are more than welcome to speak at house debates if they want to! If you just decide on the night that you want to speak then just write your name and what side you'd like to speak on on a piece of paper and pass it down to the front to the auditor and he'll try to fit you in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Opposite the AD stairwell in Arts that's near 'The Wall'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I'm going to start debating this year, I registered for the L&H and Lawsoc Madiens Mace.I put my email address down on a sign up sheet for it at the L&H stand.I gave the sheet to a committee member hopefully it hasn't been mislaid.

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah I'm going to start debating this year, I registered for the L&H and Lawsoc Madiens Mace.I put my email address down on a sign up sheet for it at the L&H stand.I gave the sheet to a committee member hopefully it hasn't been mislaid.

Was thinking of doing the maidens this year too but is it ver intense? I have a heavy workload this week but dont mind preparing a speech every two weeks or so? What is the format of the maidens?

Thanks elmyra for the info. If theres any that intrest me il put my name down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

joined kickboxing and trampolining yesterday..and also about 5 more societies. I'm going nowhere near the tent today!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Blush_01 wrote:
    The ELS has a trip away, and our handmade goodies are priceless!

Not exactly 'priceless': they cost the princely sum of €2... but they were delightfully scrumptious!

Joined ComedySoc, Global Action, WorldAid, GreenSoc, RetroSoc, Outreach, EngSoc too. And LawSoc let me join for free at the end as well, which was nice of them, despite thwe fact that I stole plenty of pizza and icecream from them throughout the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Priceless hon, not free!

Man am I glad that this week is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

panda100 wrote:
    Was thinking of doing the maidens this year too but is it ver intense? I have a heavy workload this week but dont mind preparing a speech every two weeks or so? What is the format of the maidens?

Thanks elmyra for the info. If theres any that intrest me il put my name down

A speech is a big no no because the you would be reading from it and people would just get bored.I would recommend that you put down the main points and you elaborate on each of them looking at the audience with a smile :)

And you have to put in a bit of comedy in between the serious points so they again don't get bored.

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    A speech is a big no no because the you would be reading from it and people would just get bored.I would recommend that you put down the main points and you elaborate on each of them looking at the audience with a smile :)

And you have to put in a bit of comedy in between the serious points so they again don't get bored.

Just reread my last post there and it was a bit of a mess! What I meant to say was, does the maidens take up a lot of time? How many debates would one have to do? Will you have about a week to organise each debate you do in the maidens? Would one have to attend a lot of meetings and would the debates be in the evening time? I ask this as I have a very heavy workload and am in the terrace pretty much all day. Is the maidens just opened to first years or to anyone who hasnt done public speaking before?

Any info on the maidens by anyone would be very much appreciated!feel free to pm

Advertisement