Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who did you join?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

panda100 wrote:
    Just reread my last post there and it was a bit of a mess! What I meant to say was, does the maidens take up a lot of time? How many debates would one have to do? Will you have about a week to organise each debate you do in the maidens? Would one have to attend a lot of meetings and would the debates be in the evening time? I ask this as I have a very heavy workload and am in the terrace pretty much all day. Is the maidens just opened to first years or to anyone who hasnt done public speaking before?

Any info on the maidens by anyone would be very much appreciated!feel free to pm

I think the Maidens Mace is a series of debates between teams and the best team wins the Mace and the prize whatever that is.You will most definitely have a week to prepare yourself for it.
    The debates would be in the evening time and I would say that we would be talking to the rest of the team.The Maidens is open to anyone who hasn't debated before and there are workshops.

I reckon Sinead can sign you up and Sinead can you check that I'm down on the list for the Maidens. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Just wanna thank everyone that joined World Aid (even if it was due to coercion!). We're only little so we really appreciate anyone that bothers to give us their hard earned €2.

I joined World Aid (obviously), Law Soc and L&H. Oh and Retro Soc and C&E for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Chakar wrote:
    I think the Maidens Mace is a series of debates between teams and the best team wins the Mace and the prize whatever that is.You will most definitely have a week to prepare yourself for it.
    The debates would be in the evening time and I would say that we would be talking to the rest of the team.The Maidens is open to anyone who hasn't debated before and there are workshops.

I reckon Sinead can sign you up and Sinead can you check that I'm down on the list for the Maidens. :D

Just to clarify...there's a difference between the Maidens and the Maidens Mace. What you've signed up for is the Maidens...it's prepared speeches, you'll have your motion (debate topic), position and what side you're speaking on a week in advance and loads of time to prepare. There are workshops as mentioned and the first debate doesn't count..in that nobody gets put out in the 1st round. As long as you haven't entered a college debating competition before, you're eligible. It doesn't take a particularly large amount of time...you just need to attend a workshop or two and come up with 3 solid points relevant to your side and position once you get told what your debate is on and then come speak your heart out! You'll be told basically everything you need to know at the workshops anyway and the girl who's convening for the L&H this year is lovely. (By the by, it is a joint competition with LawSoc...I'd feel bad if I didn't mention their name).

Oh, and yep Conor your name is on the list afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

elmyra wrote:
    Just to clarify...there's a difference between the Maidens and the Maidens Mace. What you've signed up for is the Maidens...it's prepared speeches, you'll have your motion (debate topic), position and what side you're speaking on a week in advance and loads of time to prepare. There are workshops as mentioned and the first debate doesn't count..in that nobody gets put out in the 1st round. As long as you haven't entered a college debating competition before, you're eligible. It doesn't take a particularly large amount of time...you just need to attend a workshop or two and come up with 3 solid points relevant to your side and position once you get told what your debate is on and then come speak your heart out! You'll be told basically everything you need to know at the workshops anyway and the girl who's convening for the L&H this year is lovely. (By the by, it is a joint competition with LawSoc...I'd feel bad if I didn't mention their name).

Oh, and yep Conor your name is on the list afaik.

Well it all sounds great.I'm looking forward to it already.I guess a speech wouldn't be too bad to start with.Thanks a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Anyone else join PhotoSoc?
    Thats all i joined, i've finally gotten sense in my last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I joined L&H and Tennis. Tennis was €10. That's a good racket. (sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

We should all stop joining so many societies and getting our ass tickled at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Stinger if you joined pokersoc, never go near their 'tournaments'.

mmmm dutchsoc...good times. keep that flame burning captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

will do, and if you're about pop by. BTW why is every one bitching about poker soc, specifically

Advertisement