Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herald AM's Dirty Little Secret

Options
  • 18-09-2006 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

This may belong in Broadband, but has anybody seen a certain Broadband provider's horrendous advertising spree today in the Herald AM. I've counted 15 adverts most of which feature a manky can of worms, with the headline 'High-Contention - Broadband's dirty little secret'... It must have cost them a fortune! Blimey! Overkill if you ask me.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Probably does belong in Broadband but anyway, which provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mexicola wrote:
    This may belong in Broadband, but has anybody seen a certain Broadband provider's horrendous advertising spree today in the Herald AM. I've counted 15 adverts most of which feature a manky can of worms, with the headline 'High-Contention - Broadband's dirty little secret'... It must have cost them a fortune! Blimey! Overkill if you ask me.....

I thought Heald AM WAS the dirty little secret...? Wouldn't touch said rag with a bargepole even if I was on a three hour journey with nothing else to do. And you;ve just given me another reason to avoid it...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Mexicola wrote:
    Eh, you rant about crap, but you don't actually reveal what provider it is? Well done... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Im pretty sure BT had a front page advertisment with one of those free wreck the head papers a while back. It was a front page thing - which was masking the real front page - with a headline and all about how BT were revolutionalising broadband in ireland.....

im not sure what my point is :D , but down with this sort of thing, carefull there now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Eh, you rant about crap, but you don't actually reveal what provider it is? Well done... :rolleyes:

If I type what I want to say to you .. I'll get banned.

I actually had Magnet in the original post but altered it in case I get som mod on my back giving me grief about advertising/defamation.... as was seen recently with MCD. I know there is nothing defamatory in the thread but it would the kind of thing a brigade member would jump on.

You might find that half of boards is 'ranting about crap'... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Mexicola wrote:
    You might find that half of boards is 'ranting about crap'... :rolleyes:

Yeah - but you were holding back on the main point of your rant - who the provider actually was! If you're gonna rant - do it properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Yeah - but you were holding back on the main point of your rant - who the provider actually was! If you're gonna rant - do it properly!

*Cough* ....4 posts.... *cough* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well at least it is not as offensive as the ntl ad, which presents the sound of s 56k modem as being obsolete.
    There are many places in dublin that ntl while they provide thier digital tv they don't offer boradband, and I know people down the county that wish thier crappy phone line would give them 56k as they are lucky to get a connection at all and there is no hope in eircon sorting the line out for broadband never mind ntl/chorus being in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    I thought Heald AM WAS the dirty little secret...? Wouldn't touch said rag with a bargepole even if I was on a three hour journey with nothing else to do. And you;ve just given me another reason to avoid it...
    Agreed. I've yet to accept a free herald AM from any of the distibutors on teh streets.
    Snubbing FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

A free herald AM ... i wonder do the toliets in the dart have any toliet paper .... now theres a free giveaway if i ever saw one ... thank god or somebody important i dont live in the capital ... aghh yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What exactly is wrong with Magnet having lower contention ratios and advertising it may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing.

They won't do demo of Sky/NTL/ TV aerial vs Magnet TV side by side I'd bet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So Magnet decided to educate the unaware masses to what conention is in reguards to broadband in thier ads and are using it as a selling point. Personally I think this is a good thing people can't ask about or complain about something they don't know is effecting them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Mexicola wrote:
    *Cough* ....4 posts.... *cough* :D

This sickens me - so he has four posts and is new. You had 4 posts not that long ago. Pipe down.

As someone said in their sig you are NOT your post count.

Back on topic - I don't see the problem with the advertising either. Fair enough multiple ads in the one paper is overkill but free newspapers have to make their money from advertising so they won't complain.

Advertisement