Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics

• 18-09-2006 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. Something popped into my mind the last time I was on a flight, and I was wondering number 1 if it is correct, and number 2 what division of physics am I talking about....

ok, lets say for instance I am on a plane, its traveling at 600mph, now I suppose in actual fact, I am traveling at 600mph as the plane is carrying me, however to the person sitting beside me, I am stationary...who is correct? I suppose this is relative...

Now lets say, I walk to the back of the plane and run from the back to the front, am I traveling, at any moment, faster than the plane? or if I run from the front to the back, am I traveling slower? the same goes from throwing an object up/down the plane...

apply this same situation to a train traveling at a constant speed, direction...

sorry if this all sounds a bit crazy! Ive started reading a physics related book recently, and I find it very interesting. Only wish I had do it for the Leaving cert. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. Something popped into my mind the last time I was on a flight, and I was wondering number 1 if it is correct, and number 2 what division of physics am I talking about....

ok, lets say for instance I am on a plane, its traveling at 600mph, now I suppose in actual fact, I am traveling at 600mph as the plane is carrying me, however to the person sitting beside me, I am stationary...who is correct? I suppose this is relative...

Yep. This is what the theory of relativity is based on! You're stationary, and you see the other person to be stationary, but to an observer on the ground you seem to move at 400mph, and to an observer in a train on the ground going the opposite direction you appear to be moving at 500mph. Not only that, but each of your perceptions of time and distance will be different too. In fact, the only thing you all have in common is that you all see light moving at the same speed.
    Now lets say, I walk to the back of the plane and run from the back to the front, am I traveling, at any moment, faster than the plane? or if I run from the front to the back, am I traveling slower? the same goes from throwing an object up/down the plane...

Well, it makes sense that if you run up the main corridor of a train you'll appear, for the point of view (the technical term for this is 'reference frame') of someone on the platform, that you are moving more quickly than the train, because you're moving more quickly than all the other passengers on the train. This particular feature is called the 'Lorentz transformation'

Here's a simple introduction to the whole concept, and the history behind it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_special_relativity

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Scratch my answer then, it's redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whosyadaddy

Thanks very much, Im didnt consider myself one for physics, but its actually quite interesting....

Advertisement