Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy Sitting For My Mam

Options
  • 18-09-2006 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I am minding my Mams dog for a few weeks in my house. So I was looking to see if you guys have any tips to make it as pleasent as possible for the dog.

She is a rescued dog, so can be nervous, (even though my mam has had her for 5 or 6 years).
    Over the last few weeks, the dog has been in our house quite a bit to get her used to the place.

I am also going to bring her bed and blanket over.

Should I bring something with my Mams scent aswell (like an old slipper?) or would that just remind the dog of her and make things worse?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hello?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

hey my little beagle x is nervous as feck in my mams even though she knows them a year she sits by the front door waiting on me - even if it is 8-9 hours :D - i bring her own bed and blanket with me and one of my old sweat shirts or something that smells of me with her.
    Also take her fave toy and ask your mam what she loves - i.e pigs ears - pedigree dental rasks - whatever treats she loves etc

Also I came across some essences last week - they are the same as Bach Rescue Remedy for people but designed for dogs
    They are called Pet Essence and are available from good health stores
    There is a variety of ones from calm essence to timid essence to fear essence
    I know advertising is not allowed but if you live in Dublin PM me and I will gladly let you have the details of the stores I know that sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Dont forget to keep her on the same brand of food. And I would'nt go giving her treats 24/7 and making a big deal. Hopefully if you dont make a big deal of it, she won't. (That would be the ideal).

I think bringing somthing of your mams is a good idea, it might reassure her to have the scent.
    I dont think dogs "miss somone" in the same way we do, they definitely do "miss somone" but a constant scent can make them feel like the persons not gone too far away. Maybe somthing like a pillowcase or such, a shoe may start her on a bad shoe-fetish habit lol.
    I doubt your mom would want to come home to a dog who is very protective of her slippers. ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

VERY IMPORTANT: Bring their old bowls for water/food. When we got a new bowl for our westie, she wouldn't eat from it. Had to be gradually introduced. Thus, your dog not eating from new bowl may be wrongly misinterprated into missing its master, rather than missing her old bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Walkies!

And go to www.clickertraining.com and learn how to clicker train - you can have great games and train each other.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys & gals.
    It shall all be considered.

prospect wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys & gals.
    It shall all be considered.

Well.
    Today is the last day of the doggy sitting. It went very well, and I am sure molly is very thankful for all your advice in making her stay more comfy. I can't wait to see her reaction when her 'mammy' comes over to collect her this evening.

On a side note, I am amazed at how quickly she learned our routine. After a day or two she had it completely sussed...

Cheers.

Advertisement