Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need driving test scandals, stories etc. Tester whistleblowers esp. welcome!

Options
  • 18-09-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm in the early stages of doing a 30minute student documentary on driving tests and I'm looking to hear of any interesting true stories. I want to find out the truth behind alledged daily pass quotas, wildly-differing pass-rates and vindictive testers. Alternatively, tell me about good stories: kind testers and the like.

If you have material that I think would fit my film (and are based in/or around Dublin) I may ask you to talk on video, but even if you're not willing to be filmed I would still love to hear whatever you have to say on the subject.

Kevin.

(reply in thread or, if you'd prefer, at koreilly at gmail dot com)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

yeah what about 5 tests per day for each tester. that pretty cushy . You should discuss that plus the fact they have an great holidays plus above average sick leave.

my only tip is put your indicator on when over taking a car on the road that is fully on the road if its half on the road no need to and when in the test although not neccessary just to show your are fully stopped use the hand brake at the traffic lights.

and keep your car clean inside and out and free of junk. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tvr wrote:
    yeah what about 5 tests per day for each tester. that pretty cushy . You should discuss that plus the fact they have an great holidays plus above average sick leave.

I think the 5 tests a day thing is mainly due to unfilled cancellation slots and people simply not showing up for their test or being sent home on a technicality.

They definitely need some kind of online system for viewing cancellation slots anyway. Someone should be able so simply login, spot a free slot and click to accept.

Stark wrote:
    I think the 5 tests a day thing is mainly due to unfilled cancellation slots and people simply not showing up for their test or being sent home on a technicality.

They definitely need some kind of online system for viewing cancellation slots anyway. Someone should be able so simply login, spot a free slot and click to accept.

yeah thats a good idea , i know of a guy who cancelled his test because it was during an exam or something and someone else rang up looking for it . they said it would go to the person from the lists etc turned out the spot was never filled.

to be honest do i think they only have 5 tests a day regardless of people be send home or not . thats not an average that is what they have per day . you can see there week work sheet . Have a look at the start when they ask you to confirm your address etc . they sometimes leave it under the signs so you can clearly see what they are doing.

in all fairness people who turn up and get send home because their car isnt safe or has a broke light etc should be shot they wait long enought for the test you think they would be prepared.

regardless of the point that is stressful and they work with live being in danager etc , an civil service person who works from 9.00-5.00 should be able to factor in more than 5 tests per day especially with the wait list getting out of hand . I remember my only took about 22 mins all told , including the two mins at the end for picking up the certificate of competency.

at that stage even when i signed the certificate of competency which was in front of me still though i had failed. LOL! , he had to tell me I had passed which put a smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tvr wrote:
    yeah what about 5 tests per day for each tester. that pretty cushy

Get to the bottom of that! I don't believe that's so low because of cancellations only...

I used to work for a very big white goods manufacturer. The service engineers calling to peoples houses to fix washing machines, etc. did an average of 4 calls a day. They were all fired and contracted back on a self-employed basis being paid per call. All of a sudden, most managed to make 12-14 calls a day :D

• Advertisement

Yeah unkel , your right I d say if you stuck to the standard 5 a day and gave them a bonus for every test they did there after that day you would easily see a doubling of productivity and the test time would fly down . its about motivation and the minute their civil service employees who want to do the min of work possible and get there 3 % increase or what ever it is every 6 months . retire with a guaranteed pension and a gold watch and then die.

I d say if they were self employed there would be a lot of get up and go and the ones that really want to work which there are a few would really benefit and the time would fall.

Im all for performance related pay in the civil service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

The system is ridiculous.
    I did my test a few months back the minute he saw i was youngish fella(24) there was no way he was ever going to pass me and id like to think im a very decent driver he treated me like cr@p and im by no means a boy racer i drive a bog standard 1litre Ibiza , if he had of said nothing to me i would have preferred it, he even went as far as to give out to me before we were even driving for a minute before i even made a mistake, i was nervous enough already without that and the minute he gave out to me my legs went to jelly i couldnt help it and my confidence went!
    There was also another girl leaving the test centre at the same time as me to go do her test and the other instructor was all jokes and smiles, she was good looking of course and the instructor was male.....i bet she was fairly relaxed doing her test and i bet he passed her too............not her fault or anything but still thats not equal treatment...........now im back on the waiting list while there is people i see with full licenses not able to park a car.............

My test took all of 25 minutes including everthing!!

Sorry if this is a bit off topic

What did he say to you before the test?

Don't assume the other person passed. I did my test at the same time as a girl and both of us failed.

yeah it can be like that ,

the best thing to do which I did is when your are being called and directed to the task to sign in and do the signs etc is to give the instructor a shake on the hand and a nice smile , not too cheesy . i was the last to be called and no one before me did it , it sets you apart from the others and shows your in control. he was surprised and pleased and gave a friendly smile back. Thats the best cure for being nervous , also try and get all the signs right it shows you have done your homework and preparation etc..

( I think impressions are everything aswell remember its really down to how the instructor perceives you and how you control your car)

if you turn up in a 96 glanza with bucket seats you can bet the instructor is going to have an more keener eye for errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you want to put hidden camera's in a car during a test (a pro score the drive versus the testers maybe ?), i'm game!

Have test comming up shortly, PM me if interested.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm in the early stages of doing a 30minute student documentary on driving tests and I'm looking to hear of any interesting true stories. I want to find out the truth behind alledged daily pass quotas, wildly-differing pass-rates and vindictive testers. Alternatively, tell me about good stories: kind testers and the like.
    /QUOTE]

How about the fact that pass rates are significantly higher in certain country areas that in city ones(check www.drivingtest.ie), it aint because that city folk are thicker :)

Probably because you require far less tight manouvers with country driving. They can really pick faults with city driving.

I wonder if you can get failed for not making due progress when stuck behind a tractor? :p

Longfield wrote:
    If you want to put hidden camera's in a car during a test (a pro score the drive versus the testers maybe ?), i'm game!

Have test comming up shortly, PM me if interested.

Thats a great idea , that should defo be done. Small camera on the rear view mirror pointing outwards , you can buy a clip on ebay . might be cheaper aswell to get a separate sound recorder and place on the dash.

or do the James May with the clip on tie camera , there not that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Most stories I have heard about unfair testers (stories from relatives, friends, etc) are usually just lame excuses for peopel who are simply poor drivers! 90% of people who fail say it wasn't their fault, and most blame the tester - bottom line is, they can't possibly fail you if you drive correctly, as they have to tell you what you did wrong at the end....and if you did nothing wrong, they can't just pull it out of thin air.

I failed my first time - my fault, and I made no pathetic excuses.
    I passed my 2nd time because I learnt my sh*t properly and practiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

that camera idea is gr8

- bottom line is, they can't possibly fail you if you drive correctly, as they have to tell you what you did wrong at the end....and if you did nothing wrong, they can't just pull it out of thin air.

Not saying that most excuses aren't just excuses but the test sheet is easily vague enough for the tester to pull something out of thin air. The tester doesn't have to explain your faults to you if you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

tvr wrote:
    yeah what about 5 tests per day for each tester.

The testers normal schedule per day is 9. However, he may well average only 5. For example, know one day a tester had 9 tests scheduled and only had to do 2 (two). The other 7 were "no shows". No cancellation notice, nothing, just failed to turn up.

A camera in the car would be a great idea. Unfortunately would not work, unless it was well hidden. Tester would cancel the test if he spotted it.

Wish the Irish test was the same system as the UK. There the instructor can sit in the back. Would make it more open and transparent.

Larry Wrote
    bottom line is, they can't possibly fail you if you drive correctly, as they have to tell you what you did wrong at the end....and if you did nothing wrong, they can't just pull it out of thin air.
    Correct. If you fail and you complain they must be able to justify their decision to their superiors. Will admit sometimes they may mark hard. Bad hair day etc, but overall they do try to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most stories I have heard about unfair testers (stories from relatives, friends, etc) are usually just lame excuses for peopel who are simply poor drivers! 90% of people who fail say it wasn't their fault, and most blame the tester - bottom line is, they can't possibly fail you if you drive correctly, as they have to tell you what you did wrong at the end....and if you did nothing wrong, they can't just pull it out of thin air.
    I'd go with that Larry David. I have done the driving test in every category where it is required. I failed some the first time and passed some the first time. All in all, I probably did 9 or 10 tests (all in Finglas) and I have always found the testers to be courteous, fair and impartial. When I failed, I deserved to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My sister waited 15 months for a test, and on the big day on the way to the test centre, one of the her brake bulbs blew. The instructor refused to test her because her car was 'unroadworthy'. Needless to say she was very upset. She now has to reapply and wait another couple of months. F*cking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

wba88 wrote:
    that camera idea is gr8

You might want to check up on the legalities of this before you do it. I am not saying it is wrong and/or can't/may not be done, I am just saying to check it out before you do it. I don't know if it is quite entrapment, but I know there are certain things you should have both parties consent for before filiming.

Now that I think of it, maybe you just need the permission to broadcast/show the recorded film publically etc... Check it out anyway beforehand.

Anyway, I have had no problems with tests or testers. Passed the car and motorcycle tests first time (once under the old system and once under the new format sheet with blue/red/green error boxes). The examiner was great each time, put me at ease and conducted the tests in a professional and corteous manner.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not so much an unfair tester but more of an inconsistency. Had a real grumpy b****d for my first time, I was polite and friendly (not expecting him to become my new best friend or anything) and this guy was downright rude. Anyway didn't think too much of it at the time and carried on to eventually fail (I'll admit the test result was probably fair - didn't make any major mistakes but my driving wouldn't have been up to scratch). Left the test centre to get something to eat and on coming back I caught sight of my tester, all smiles and laughs, the difference - he was accompanying a bit of skirt (fine lookin girl too I might add) back to the test centre.

Now my point is I don't mind if examiners are rude, grumpy, etc., as long as they're like this with everyone. Wouldn't have made much difference to me but some people can be put off / relaxed depending on the manner of the tester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

Stark wrote:
    the test sheet is easily vague enough for the tester to pull something out of thin air. The tester doesn't have to explain your faults to you if you fail.
    does anybody know where i could find a copy of the test sheet? do the testers give you a copy of yours to take with you after you leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Now my point is I don't mind if examiners are rude, grumpy, etc., as long as they're like this with everyone. Wouldn't have made much difference to me but some people can be put off / relaxed depending on the manner of the tester.

This is exactly my point, as long as they treat everyone the same i dont mind as much if i fail but the girl in my case had an unfair advantage, i was dead nervous and the last thing i needed was him to give out to me, where as the girls examiner was friendly and chatty.

In response to the post asking what the tester said at the start of the test to give out to me.....we had just pulled out of the test center and we went around a bend into an industrial estate, he asked me to pull in on the left(he was wasting no time, straight into my turnabout manouvre) , when he said it we were passing a factory gate, so i thought this was a little test to make sure i stopped in a safe place so i went up the road a few feet past the entrance where it was safe and not obstructing..........then he said" listen Mr Bloggs, you pull in when i tell you to pull in and he said it with a raised voice" i was fairly shocked....i would have no problem if he had of said nothing and marked me down for it instead........cause then i wouldnt have known and wouldnt have done the rest of the test with my legs shaking fom nerves......

People can say i am just making excuses and they are entitled to their opinion but i know thats not a fair way to treat anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Drax wrote:
    My sister waited 15 months for a test, and on the big day on the way to the test centre, one of the her brake bulbs blew. The instructor refused to test her because her car was 'unroadworthy'. Needless to say she was very upset. She now has to reapply and wait another couple of months. F*cking ridiculous.

Was the car checked before the test? I don't know of any test center that isn't within 10 minutes of somewhere a bulb can be replaced. They're very clear on the conditions under which a car can be used for a test, if anything is ****ing ridiculous, it's turning up in a car that isn't up to scratch. For the record, my sister turned up with her tax a few days out of date and was sent home in a similar fashion. I don't blame the tester, I blame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

alias no.9 wrote:
    Was the car checked before the test?

It most certainly was. I went through all the lights and fluid levels the night before with her. I think nowadays they ask you to point out various bits of the car - dipstick etc.

Bad luck I know but a terrible decision from that c*nt of an instructor. I was livid when I heard this.

Stark wrote:
    the test sheet is easily vague enough for the tester to pull something out of thin air. The tester doesn't have to explain your faults to you if you fail.

No it isn't vague. The driving test is very specific - there is an EXACT way for doing everything, from Observation, to road & lane position, to reversing, to 3 point turn, to right turns, to Roundabouts, Progress, etc, etc - if you do all of this by the book, they can't fail you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭podgewalsh

I did my first test back in 2003 (in Dublin) and failed! the tester was not a nice man to be honest. Driving along a quiet road and a man collapsed on the path - I asked the tester should we stop and see if he was ok - he said no ! Poor man looked like he was having a heart attack...I reapplied and waited 15 months to be resat (in Wexford) and lo and behold when I arrive at the centre last week the same guy is the one testing me , what are the chances of that ?!?!..needless to say I failed again...I Have been driving for six years and am still on a provisional..It a bloody disgrace

podgewalsh wrote:
    I did my first test back in 2003 and failed! the tester was not a nice man to be honest. Driving along a quiet road and a man collapsed I asked the tester should we stop and he said no , poor man looked like he was having a heart attack...I reapplied and waited 15 months to be resat (in a different county) and lo and behold when I arrive at the centre last week the same guy is the one testing me , what are the chances of that..needless to say I failed again...I Have been driving for six years not still on a provisional..It a bloody disgrace
    It's not a disgrace - you failed because you can't drive while sticking to the specific rules of the road. It's no mystery...stop making excuses.

"Needless to say...."
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, needless to say you didn't improve in the 15 month interim...
    Have been driving for six years not still on a provisional

If you haven't passed yet, then surely you ARE still on a provisional, no??

Larry David are you a Driving Tester by any chance !?!?

• Advertisement

podgewalsh wrote:
    I Have been driving for six years and am still on a provisional.
    Please read the post properly before nitpicking..Its fairly obvious what I was saying ! I think its fairly cruel thing to leave someone collapse on the path...maybe thats the type of person you are but I certainly didnt like being told by him that I wasnt allowed help - End of Rant !

Advertisement