Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need driving test scandals, stories etc. Tester whistleblowers esp. welcome!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

He is not permitted to as he must remain impartial. Telling you that a shop sells them could be construed as giving advice.
    I disagree as he would not be giving advice on how to pass the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

eth0_ wrote:
    Um...was your L plate on the outside of the car? Was it back-to-front as well? :rolleyes:
    Man, I hate idiots who can't put 'L' plates up properly! There's only one way - and it's so feckin' obvious!! So why the confusion with so many people? Are they just really really dumb? I've seen them on the outside, I've seen them upside down, sideways, stuck on the bonnet, I've seen them with the white background trimmed off, and a combination of all of the above! lol @ retards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I passed my test first time. Was only out for 14 minutes.

Test was in finglas. Within the first couple of minutes, I had a woman walk out from behind a truck, I saw her legs and hit the breaks. The tester even said well done. The lady was lucky, she didn't even stop.

As for the instructor he was really nice. Chatted on the way to the car about a GAA match.

He asked if I had sat a test before, seeing as I was on a 4th provisional....I hadn't. Its a disgrace how long it takes to get the test. Caused me a lot of trouble in my previous job in field service.....taxis everywhere.

Anyway not as bad as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

There is a mechanism - carrying a spare set of bulbs in the car. ;)

A smart answer... ... but good advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Drax wrote:
    I admit that was a strong word to use and probably inappropriate.

Good, we're making progress.
    Drax wrote:
    The fact is, this kind of pussy-footing around makes it no wonder that it adds to the size of the waiting lists and drives me nuts when you look at how out-dated and inefficient the whole system is, yet no one want to take the bull by the horns and take responsibility for it.

Indeed. There should be a heavy fine and a driving ban for anyone who wastes a driving test appointment by not showing up or by showing up in an inadequate vehicle.
    Drax wrote:
    I dont know what way instructor rota's work but it would be a handy number if he could mark that down as a 'test' to fill his daily quota.

I'm sure it is recorded that the driving portion of the test could not be completed.
    Drax wrote:
    There is no mechanism for these type of technicalities to be addressed (correct me if I am wrong). Havnig to wait for another year because of a blown bulb is simply ridiculous.

Let that be a lesson to get to the test centre early and check the bulbs half an hour before the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

As for the instructor he was really nice. Chatted on the way to the car about a GAA match.

This is exactly the point i was making earlier, you had a nice chap that had you in a relaxed mood before you even started!
    i know a guy from the north who passed it first time, is as blind as a bat, not a great driver and admits it, said the instructor chatted the whole way along, he stalled the car at the lights and the instructor said not to worry about it....

Also as for the 10% over the speed limit thing is ok well i got done for going up to 44 in a 40 zone for 2 seconds while i hit another gear, that didnt fail me though was only a grade 1 so shouldnt effect too many peoples results.

Anyway at the end of the day after all this discussion can anyone say for sure if is true or not that they have to fail a certain percentage of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

eamon234 wrote:
    Mrs went for hers a few weeks ago and failed for coasting - on her way out the next guy arrived in a souped up boy racer heap of junk and the tester sent him home because the engine didn't belong to that model of car - fair play to him!
    Does that make the car unroadworthy?

alias no.9 wrote:
    Good, we're making progress.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    Indeed. There should be a heavy fine and a driving ban for anyone who wastes a driving test appointment by not showing up or by showing up in an inadequate vehicle.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    Let that be a lesson to get to the test centre early and check the bulbs half an hour before the test.

I dont like the cut of your jib. Being patronising isnt an admirable trait.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Indeed. Although I am in favour of fines for people who don't bother to show up for their driving test appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    Are the testers qualified to determine this? The engine in the car is irrelevant I would have thought and the safety of it can be guessed but not scrutinised.
    The tester probably spotted that the tax disc belonged to another car's reg, or it said 1 litre when the engine cover said 1.6 turbo, etc.
    Probably a VRT and insurance scam on the go too, so losing a test over it is getting off pretty damn lightly.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyway at the end of the day after all this discussion can anyone say for sure if is true or not that they have to fail a certain percentage of people?
    The government is getting a great deal of flak over the waiting lists and is trying (ineffectually, but that's another matter) to reduce them, not increase them.

Why on earth would there be a failure quota? The test fee is small and when you consider the admin costs etc. of running the system I'm pretty sure they're taking a loss on every test conducted.

By international standards of countries which take driver training seriously, the test here is far too easy and they should be failing more drivers, not less! Far too many people take tests when by their own admission they're not ready, are only doing it to get their next provo, or have picked up lots of bad habits driving on their own and then think one pre-test will transform them :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Drax wrote:
    I dont like the cut of your jib. Being patronising isnt an admirable trait.:rolleyes:

I wasn't seeking admiration and your calling the driving tester a c*nt, for doing his job in a professional and competant manner, hardly puts you in line for a people of the year award.

There are probably tens of thousands of tales where people were treated unfairly by testers. Your sisters case is not one of them. She may have been misfortunate, but that has nothing to do with the tester or anything the tester did.

If the OP were to include stories like your sisters in whatever project they're doing, it would lose all credibility and take from a very serious issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Jimoslimos wrote:
    .... Not that it made a difference to the result but I picked up 2 moderate faults for progress on the straight (not sure if it falls into this category?). It seems to me that an already subjective test is made worse by an examiner guessing whether your speed is either 28 or 32mph.
    • An examiner has been in so many Yaris's that he can tell your speed without looking at the speedo
    • 'Progress on the straight' can be for driving too slowly. You should drive up to the speed limit when safe, - but you can also get progress faults on this line for 'NOT PROGRESSING UP THROUGH YOUR GEARS QUICKLY ENOUGH' i.e get up into 4th gears asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Jimoslimos wrote:
    .... Not that it made a difference to the result but I picked up 2 moderate faults for progress on the straight (not sure if it falls into this category?). It seems to me that an already subjective test is made worse by an examiner guessing whether your speed is either 28 or 32mph.
    • An examiner has been in so many Yaris's that he can tell your speed without looking at the speedo
    • 'Progress on the straight' can be for driving too slowly. You should drive up to the speed limit when safe, - but you can also get progress faults on this line for 'NOT PROGRESSING UP THROUGH YOUR GEARS QUICKLY ENOUGH' i.e get up into 4th gear asap

alias no.9 wrote:
    ... hardly puts you in line for a people of the year award.
    Nor would I want that award. :rolleyes:
    alias no.9 wrote:
    If the OP were to include stories like your sisters in whatever project they're doing, it would lose all credibility and take from a very serious issue.
    If you read the title of this thread it is "Need driving test scandals, stories etc..." I told a story. An angry story. The OP can either use it or not use it. Simple.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    She may have been misfortunate, but that has nothing to do with the tester or anything the tester did.
    And back to square we go...

Advertisement