Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Names

Options
  • 18-09-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Having some difficulty choosing a girls name for my first born due in just 3 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I have been on the internet for the past couple of days and I cannot find anything that really stands out to me. As my boyfriend is French, it makes choosing names more difficult as he cannot pronounce some nice Irish names that I have chosen.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Does it have to be an Irish name? My GF is French, we called our daughter Seraphine. There are plenty of nice French names.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

It doesn't have to be an Irish name but as the baby will hold a french surname, I kinda like the idea of an Irish name but I'm not set on that either. But all the french names that he has picked are terrible to be honest! I'm starting to panic because I literally have no name picked for a girl and I've only a few weeks to go! I keep having this dream where I have a girl and they just keep referring to the child as the FROG because I haven't chosen a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ah. We have it the other way round. The kids have my surname and French first names. Our third child will have an irish name though. We are going to go for Caoimhe(sp?), which I really like.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not something easier to pronounce like Aine or Una ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

We named our two Ellen and Elise. Of course it's the best name in the world. (Subject to personal opinion!)

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We've shortlisted two names in case we have a girl...

Orla (possibly with the Irish spelling of Orlaith) and Roisín. Love them both and both are handy enough to pronounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Sophie (As a Frenchesque option)

Mia and Charlotte (just because I think they're a nice names)

OR

Grainne (that's Irish and not too hard to pronounce)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LadyJ wrote:
    Grainne (that's Irish and not too hard to pronounce)

I've heard a good few non-paddy's say "gron-ya" (similarly for Aine "on-ya") for that. Sounds totally weird. I think it's hard for Irish people to determine what's a difficult name to pronounce seeing as we've heard these names all our lives.

Get the hubby to try to pronouce them maybe? :D

I wonder would Eireann be hard to say.... You can use it for a girl or a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Girls names always seem to be the hardest.
    Sofia/Sophia is nice. Caoimhe. Edel. Molly. Jessica. Katlyn (sp??).

What names have u picked if its a boy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

We named our little girl Maebh, she'll be 3 weeks this Wednesday!!

The name means "the cause of great joy" or "she who intoxicates."

The name dates back to the the great warrior queen of Connacht and is very prominate in Irish Legend stories such as the Brown Bull of Cooley..

Other names we had in mind was Saoirse, Éire, Sorcha, and Orlaith.

Or what about Aisling, which is a dream or vision??

Aishling can be both :)

Congrats on your new arrival branner69.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My rule for all names is put barrister at law after it. This gets rid of the temptation to call your child Goblin O'Reagan (barrister at law):p

I think Sophie is incredible pretty. I also love Helen, Elena, Helena which said with a French accent is lovely
    My SIL is living in England and the spelling of Grainne is a nightmare for most so I can just imagine what the French would make of it.
    I worked in France and my favorite person was called Odile Clara and I love both names. For balance my least favourite person was Virginie but I wouldn't recommend the name in Ireland anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Lovely names here!! They are all great, especially when you think of a song including the name!

Cheerio
    Howard

There are some beautiful names here. I have to run them past the hubby because even if he can pronounce them properly they might sound like something else in French. I was thinking of Conor for a boy but when said in French it sounds like the French word for c*nt, so that's a definate no-no. And Teagan sounds like tiger.
    I have decided on Noah for a boy, I know its not Irish but for sentimetal purposes its ideal.
    Thanks guys, keep'em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MW

My Sister had a baby girl last week and she called her Erin which of course is a variation on the spelling in Irish for Ireland. (Eireann)

Eirn is a variation on Ériu the goddess this land was named after. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriu

Thaedydal wrote:
    Congrats on your new arrival branner69.

Cheers Thaedydal, hard to believe 3 weeks ago I was getting full nights sleep;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

We're in the same boat too on a girls name, the boy's name was easy to pick (Callum) but we just can't agree on a girls name even though there's only ~11 days left!

Some ones that are in the pot:

Mia
    Alanah
    Erin
    Carla
    Zara
    Lorna

There are others but we can't find the notepad that we were using to write down names as we came across them over the last 9 months, which doesn't help things... gah!

viking wrote:
    We're in the same boat too on a girls name, the boy's name was easy to pick (Callum) but we just can't agree on a girls name even though there's only ~11 days left!

Some ones that are in the pot:

Mia
    Alanah
    Erin
    Carla
    Zara
    Lorna

There are others but we can't find the notepad that we were using to write down names as we came across them over the last 9 months, which doesn't help things... gah!

Thanks,

Keep us informed on what you have and what name you eventually pick! Hope its a healthy and happy birth for both of you

• Advertisement

viking wrote:
    there's only ~11 days left!

Put up a poll here and decide that way! :p

Mia
    Alanah

I'd go with either of these two to ensure your child has a name that would sound good should she become famous!

Also,might I say,you're very into your "a" sound endings! :D

Love2love wrote:
    Keep us informed on what you have and what name you eventually pick! Hope its a healthy and happy birth for both of you
    Thanks for the good wishes, will let you know what we decide.
    Also,might I say,you're very into your "a" sound endings!
    I know, its strange when you go through a baby name book, pick out names and write them down (found the notepad with all the names btw) and then realise they all have a 'a' sound at the end!!

Its even stranger when you go through all your extended family who have the same surname as you and realise how many also end in 'a'... Ciara, Martina, , Patrica, Sandra etc. The 'a' at the end of the forename seems to go well with the 'P' at the start of the family surname for some reason...

Some others that were on the list:

Tegan
    Lisa
    Isabel
    Juliet
    Jessica
    Elisha
    Erika/Erica

Decisions,decisions.... hmmm... maybe a poll is not such a crazy idea after all... :D

viking wrote:
    Isabel
    Erika/Erica

Mia,Alanah or these two. That's what I'd narrow it down to if I were you.
    Decisions,decisions.... hmmm... maybe a poll is not such a crazy idea after all... :D

[chants] Poll! Poll! Poll! Poll! [/chants]

wow what a list.

I only had two names out aisde from my first, Daire and Cliona.
    I only had one name for the second, Eimear. I just knew I was having girl.

I never got picking out names to far advanced.
    I know someone who picked out her names for her son and daughter
    and told the rest of the family she had dibs on them before she even had a steady fella.

Thaedydal wrote:
    wow what a list.
    Only because we can't agree! :D
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I only had one name for the second, Eimear. I just knew I was having girl.
    I like that name actually, funnily enough we both 'feel' we are having a boy so, like you, we'd be happy enough to stick with Callum for the boy and not worry about a girls name but we feel we should pick one just in case our 6th senses are way off!
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I know someone who picked out her names for her son and daughter and told the rest of the family she had dibs on them before she even had a steady fella.
    Hehe, was at a family funeral 3 weeks ago and my cousin's wife was pregnant and due 3 days after us, it only struck us when we came home that we should have compared chosen names in case we both had the same name picked out! I could only imagine the conversation if we had compared names and discovered them to be the same... "Well we had that picked before we even got pregnant so you'll have to pick another one!!!" :D

EDIT: Oh, btw LadyJ, no chance for a poll! Although I am leaning towards 'Mia' the more I hear it mentioned....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Guys what ever you do go for a normal run-of-the-mill with no crazy spelling names. This is speaking from 28 years of orginal comments such as "thats a weird/funny/unusual name", "Where does that come from" etc etc and then all the wrong spellings and pronunciations(sp?)...:rolleyes:

Ok, what an eventful night/morning. Our 6th senses about it being a boy were totally wrong and our beautiful daughter arrived at 4.45am this morning!

The labour was unbelievably quick (but painful) for a first timer, in the hospital at 12.30am and 4 hours 15mins later our baby is born.

And LadyJ, you'll be glad to know we've picked Mia as the name for our most beautiful daughter!

I'm one chuffed man! I've been given a few hours off so its off to bed with me...

Congratualtions to you both i hope both mother and daughter are healthy.
    Do get some sleep you may find it to be in short supply over the next 3 months.

viking wrote:
    Ok, what an eventful night/morning. Our 6th senses about it being a boy were totally wrong and our beautiful daughter arrived at 4.45am this morning!

The labour was inbelievably quick (but painful) for a first timer, in the hospital at 12.30am and 4 hours 15mins later our baby is born.

And LadyJ, you'll be glad to know we've picked Mia as the name for our most beautiful daughter!

I'm one chuffed man! I've been given a few hours off so its off to bed with me...
    Congrats viking!! Had the same surprise ourselves 3 weeks ago to the day!!

Even the midwife said that she would bet her house it was a boy and she was shocked when the little diva arrived!!

As Thaedydal says above get some precious sleep while mammy and daughter are in the hospital, you'll need it!!

But its well worth it:D

• Advertisement

Congratulations Viking! Baby Mia is beautiful. And the name really suits her! :D:D:D

Advertisement