Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damn IT UCD

Options
  • 18-09-2006 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I am trying to install PokerStars on the computer at college, but it wont let me save it to the progam files directory.

I dont really know what im doing so if anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me how to get around the system id be grateful.

although im not sure if it can be done???

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A Group Policy Object prevents you from writing to the C:\Program Files folder AFAIK.

Can you not install it to another location, like H:?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If it won't install to your H: drive then nothing you can do. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's blocked by the firewall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

It only partially installs and i cannot connect to the game when i try to save it the H: location

Nothing you can do so.

oh ok, thanks.

Is there anyway of disabling the firewall?

• Advertisement

#15 wrote:
    Is there anyway of disabling the firewall?
    Eh......no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

None of the poker sites work in UCD!

irlrobins wrote:
    Eh......no.

ah bollox.
    thanks anyway

Well there it is. But it involves a ninja style attack and getting into here to snip a few cables.

P4210741.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

there's a few sites around that you can play on the website. Now my computerspeak is terrible but basically its something to do with a java platform that allows to go to www.somepokersite.com and you can play without a download, try searching bonuswhores or pokerlistings.com for no download sites.

Possibly this will work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭kickintheteeth

u cannot get by the firewall, but there is a way to play poker in ucd.

go to the third level in the library, and there are network ports, that run on the the old network line, with no firewall. u need a laptop though, to download the software!
    ;)

P.S. i dropped out of college, so prob best u dont find the right ones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Please do not discuss programs or methods of getting by UCD's security measures. It is agaist the AUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I don't like the IT lot in UCD at all. Last year I filled in a survey thing + it was all blah blah blah... over alll what do you think of UCD Comp Ser + all 3 answers you were to pick from were positive (+ I'd had a previous run in with them before that...).

Then (one year later) today I popped in to get wireless set up on my lappy. Grand + all, was working, but the person who set it up had accessing the ucd network as the only option basically, so I had to go + fix it so I could use it at home (now :)) too.

+ msn (well windows live messanger) wont work 4 me in Ucdd. Booo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can get GAIM under Linux to run on my MSN account within UCD. Plain vanilla MSN should work too!

dajaffa wrote:
    + msn (well windows live messanger) wont work 4 me in Ucdd. Booo.
    Set the proxy in IE to proxy1.ucd.ie and port 8484 and then MSN messenger will work.

proxykf7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Cheers you super-legend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Do no set your proxy to be proxy.ucd.ie port 8484 in the IE settings.
    Rather thick Autodetect proxy settings and then thick auto configuration script and enter in http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac

That should then work from home and ucd.

AFAIK, MSN messenger does not pick up proxy settings from auto config scripts. So you have to explictly state the proxy server and port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Works fine any time I've set it up...
    That said, if you really want to use it, you should get your lappy configured for wired use. As the wired connections let you use cams and the such.

Advertisement