Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT

Options
  • 18-09-2006 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Been looking at the Audi TT for a while now... anybody own one or have any experience with them.

Basically what are your thoughts on this car? (Good and Bad)

All suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a brand new model just out, so you should be able to use that to drive down prices on used ones. Never drove one but would like to at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've been thinking of getting one for the last few months now. Gona drive one this week I think so that will make my mind up yay or nay.
    Noticed that the alloy wheels can either make they look really well or crappy.

The price of them hasn't dropped yet, a lot of money for a small interior car. I'm 50/50 between a 225bhp TT or a BMW 325/323 M-Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I've driven my friends one (2001 225bhp).Its some yoke to go with the 4 wheel drive nice style interior also.Check that the coils were done on them.The VAG 1.8T was recalled a few years ago to have the coils replaced.Nice car to drive and still looks well as that shape is out now 8 years.

My friend no more than myself brought his in the UK.You should consider importing.Take a look at the sticky on this board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

My friend has a 225 for about 2 months, also an 01 with 24k. Having 'tested' it extensively at various speeds I can testify that they are enormous fun (especially around roundabouts!). The faster you go the more it seems to grip, have to say I'd be tempted when the price drops...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

I had a TT 225 Roadster for a couple of years. Great car to drive. Before buying I spoke with a guy who had the 180 bhp version and he told me it felt a little bit light on power, but I had no such complaints with the 225.

Best fun is driving it on tight roads where the quattro comes into its own. Biggest drawback for me was the lack of carrying space (esp. in the roadster), but if you're buying a car like this you know what you're letting yourself in for.

I did have to spend a bit of money on it when the fuel gauge went wonky... had to replace the whole instrument binnacle for that :eek: . Also, the mass air wotsit had to be replaced. Both were common problems with the TT, not sure if they're solved on the newer models (mine was 00).

Only other problem I had was when it came to sell. The insurance can be a bit of a killer on the 225 bhp convertible model, even for a maturish driver with full ncb. So as the car gets older it gets less and less sellable: if it costs (say) 3k or 5k to insure then the kind of buyer who's prepared to pay that amount per annum is probably also going to be looking for a newer car, so buyers can become scarce.

Just some random thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Hi there,

Been looking at the Audi TT for a while now... anybody own one or have any experience with them.

Basically what are your thoughts on this car? (Good and Bad)

All suggestions appreciated

small on the inside, tiny actually, and expensive, but a good car all the same,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I think the hardtop version looks alot better than roadster soft top version.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OP how tall are you?

I've driven my brothers one a few times and at 6 foot I found my view resticted by the roofline. Wouldn't be a fan of the hard ride either.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Been toying with this myself for a while now, but I have to say haven driven a 3 series coupe/convertible, the BMW in my opinion is just a better proposition. OK you need a 330 to get anywhere near the bang but its just nicer, but having said that, I doubt you'll regret it.
    Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I've driven a few of them at work (I work in an Audi garage). The old model didn't look really good but I think the new one looks really cool. Nice car to drive.

And they fixed the whole problem of them flipping upsidedown when you drive to fast (that's why they recalled all the old ones to fit spoilers to them). At 75 mph on the new one the spoiler comes out of the boot door!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Thanks for your comments... would this car be in the same catergory as the Mazda RX8?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've had a 225bhp roadster for a couple of years now. Really love it still. Never had any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

spose it would be, rx8 is a better drivers car, the tt is a bit staid to be honest and the engine sounds very lifeless.

I had a 200bhp mkiv golf with the same 1.8t engine, common probs on them all are coil packs and mass air sensors, other than that they are pretty robust.

I had a choice between a 00 323ci or the tt, in the end i choose the beemer as its a more comfortable car and what it loses in power it makes up in handling and engine note, doubt you'll be disappointed with either :)

Advertisement