Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a moderator does.

Options
  • 18-09-2006 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

In light of all this anti-establishment fist-shaking, I thought I might step in and give people an indication of what a moderator does, because there seems to be an incredible amount of misconception about what it is to be a moderator and what functions they have.

Now, I assume that everyone here has had experience with the spam you usually get over email. You know the stuff, penis enlargement, hot horny chicks that want you, Nigerian princes offering you millions, weight loss, pyramid schemes, $10 rolex watches... You know the stuff, it's spam and it's annoying.

What some people here probably don't know is that all that garbage gets posted right here too! All the same kind of spam that you get in your inbox, or that your junk filter manages to catch, the same stuff is repeated here on boards.

Why don't you see all this spam? Well, that's because of Moderators! Those guys you're shaking your fists are the ones who are keeping boards.ie clean of all this spam. The fact is, most of the threads a moderator will delete is spam. Most of the users banned from boards are spammers.

So imagine what would happen if you turned off all your spam filters on your email account. Imagine the amount of spam that would clog up your inbox. Well that's what would happen right here on boards if the moderators weren't around. The signal to noise ratio would make boards.ie unusable in a very short time.

Think of moderators as janitors, keeping everything nice and clean. Can you find it in your hearts to thank them? :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

And for anyone who thinks that Karl is talking out his ass, 90% of the Admin work that i need to do on my own site is spam deletion and spammer banning.

Those pesky bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Dragan wrote:
    And for anyone who thinks that Karl is talking out his ass,
    Karl's ass speaks the truth! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nice one Mr.Hungus. Indeed, I have always seen my role as janitor like. Mods just have some extra cleaning tools but apart from that, we are like every other user. Help us to help you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Do ye get paid or have any special privileges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Maynoothman123

Then the question must be raised.

What kind of sad c*nt would voluntarily sign up to be an unpaid, online janitor?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Do ye get paid or have any special privileges?
    Every moderator is a volunteer, so no, we do not get paid. They only special privileges that I can think of off the top of my head is access to the Sex and Sexuality forum without becoming a subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Filthy lies, I've never been anti-spam in my life! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

What kind of sad c*nt would voluntarily sign up to be an unpaid, online janitor?

Someone who'd like to sweep you away perhaps? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People who enjoy the site, have been around for a while and want to make it better for everyone, ya know helpful people? There are still some around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The kind of sad c*nt that enjoys an online discussion, and would like to do their bit to ensure that discussion is possible for all. There's more to life than being payed for something.

• Advertisement

LadyJ wrote:
    Someone who'd like to sweep you away perhaps? :D

Oh , did you know, that dude is just pure hard. He a hammer wielding, vengenace seeking troll from hell!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Every moderator is a volunteer, so no, we do not get paid. They only special privileges that I can think of off the top of my head is access to the Sex and Sexuality forum without becoming a subscriber.

wow.. thats quite the privilege.

He a hammer wielding, vengenace seeking troll from hell!!!!

Troll? Thats the usual reply when you say what people don't want to hear.

And for future reference Dragan, I'd bench press your face into the ground.

And for future reference Dragan, I'd bench press your face into the ground.

Hmmmmm , thats kinda unlikely, given the usual dynamics of the bench press excercise, and the fact that the force of motion is actually AWAY from the ground. But hey, pushing things towards gravity is normally alot easier than pushing things away from it. ;)

So, in short, on a scale of ONE to TEN, ONE being getting told by a small, underfed duck that if you don't give him some bread he's going to hug you, and TEN being ending up on the wrong size of the Cambodian prison system i give your threat a 0.

However, well done for trying. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The same kind of sad **** who goes around telling people he'd "bench press their faces" in some kind of online machismo diatribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Troll? Thats the usual reply when you say what people don't want to hear.

No, it's usually got more to do with the fact that you just seem to be out to get a reaction. What was it you said, being a moderator is all about ego? Now when it's revealed that the role of a moderator is someone going out of their way to be helpfull, you're calling us sad c*nts?

Sounds like you're just trying to get up peoples nostrils than making any valid point, and it shows you up as a complete troll.

...then again, you're very right, we don't want to hear you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jaysus.... who rattled those mods cages????

I think the Mods do a thankless job especially with all the knobs who can be around and wasters.

Well done people. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

probably better off in the feedback forum to be honest.
    this is a topic that could just go sooo wrong in teh AH forum :)

also, can someone please site ban maynoothman. every post ive seen of his illustrious career has been abusive and threatening. and find out who the were previously will ya?

also, can someone please site ban maynoothman. every post ive seen of his illustrious career has been abusive and threatening. and find out who the were previously will ya?

Jesus you are some ****. Begging for somebody to be banned. Just ignore my posts if you don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Jesus you are some ****. Begging for somebody to be banned. Just ignore my posts if you don't like them.

i think this explains the need for mods.

good work guys, it goes unappreciated but deep down we all want your children.

<3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I've actually never seen any of that spam on the boards.ie, so if its as bad as u say there must be loads of work going on..thanks mods.

If i subscribe to the sex forum..will i learn to a stallion in bed? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

But be warned that bestiality is illegal in Ireland so being a stallion cuts your chances with the ladies substantially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

theTinker wrote:
    I've actually never seen any of that spam on the boards.ie, so if its as bad as u say there must be loads of work going on..thanks mods.

If i subscribe to the sex forum..will i learn to a stallion in bed? :P
    Why yes, yes you will. It's got the moderator seal of approval

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Stallions? Seals? What next, dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

...and the Mod forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Think of moderators as janitors

I will!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

John wrote:
    Stallions? Seals? What next, dogs?

Does anyone else like where this is going?

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Needs a bit more anus loving to get me excited.

• Advertisement

Not really man, your operating outside of the charter, which has been drawn up by the people who are kind enough to provide this site as they way they would like people to act when using it.

As i said to Corchorodan, who i actually reckon you are, to be honest, if you don't like it then don't post here.

Simple, really.

Although well done, i had expected to come in to work today and find a post calling me out for a "rumble", Maynooth style. :D

Advertisement