Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIMP question

Options
  • 18-09-2006 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I am starting a project in college, which is web based. For the logo I am trying to get the font to mould from metalic gray into white, top to bottom, but I can't figure out how to do it, all I can do it change the font colour as a whole, could you help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nope, but someone in Digital Art and Design might be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

sorry dude, I was looking under Tech only, didn't think anywhere else would have been better

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sorry I don't use the GIMP, but I'm sore someone will be along shortly to correct my photoshop method for it.

I would duplicate the font layer and change the style on the layers to the different ones you want. Then apply a layer mask to the top layer (layer mask is a transparency map for the layer its applied to) and fill it with a black to white gradient as required. The beauty of the layer mask is that you can correct it as much as you want without deleting information from the two layers.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

I'm self-taught and no expert, so I'm sorry if I'm missing your point, but this seems to work for what I think you're trying to do:

Type your text. Should be its own layer, of course.

SELECT and BY COLOUR.

Click any letter and the whole word should light up if it's all the one colour.

Now, GRADIENT FILL as desired and job's done.

If that isn't it, then investigate masks as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm a photoshop man but just do the font on it's own layer, go to some sort of layer style (again, it's in photoshop so i dunno about gimp) and do a gradient overlay... away you go :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Gimp is a bit different than photoshop.

Create your text and position it as needed
    create a new layer
    right click the text layer and alpha to selection
    return to the new layer
    gradiant fill with your desired colours,
    Turn off your text layer.

Advertisement