Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to play with when Trading-in

Options
  • 18-09-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Would anyone have an idea of the type of margins a garage would be playing with when selling a used car?

I am looking to buy a used card (circa 20k), I have a 00 Clio worth about €5k that I want to get rid of as part of the deal, and I'm curious if anyone can enlighten me with the amount a garage would be playing with on a car they have priced at €20k.

Any other tips people may have for buying / selling / trading-in would be greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's a few hundred ifs and buts in the answer.

Basically the amount they'll move from the 20k depends on how popular the car is. (i.e. Corolla 20k=no more than 500 off for cash, Astra 20k they might move €1500)

It's probably not worth trading the clio. Ask them how much they'll give you for it and put it in the B&S for 250 quid more and you'll get a decent knockdown for not having a trade in.

Small cars are massivley in demand so private sale should be quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

It does all depend on what car your looking at

TRADING IN
    The garage wil probally have to spend anywhere up to €1000(if there proper)

€250 warrenty
    €150 service
    €100 valet
    €400 tyres/bodywork
    €100-400 house charge (depends on garage)

on a €20k used car as it was said depends on model and how much the garage wants out of the deal

on a second hand there is probally a 10-15% margin

but a this depends on what the dealer had to pay to get the car in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I agree with the previous post - sell the Clio privately - you'll be lucky if the dealer gives you 3250 on a trade-in or else he'll inflate the price of the car you're looking at and make it look like he's giving you more (always ask the price before you mention a trade-in). Once you have your cash make sure you shop around this is a quiet time of year for a lot of dealers as new car buyers will wait until the end of the year to buy their 07 reg cars plus the forecourts are overflowing with second hand cars. Get a couple of prices from different dealers and play them off against each other until you get the best deal. Don't be afraid to walk away if you're not happy with the price stand your ground and get the most for your money. People just don't haggle enough anymore.
    And for God's sake don't buy anything as dull as a Corolla!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eamon234 wrote:
    And for God's sake don't buy anything as dull as a Corolla!

And your Octavia is more interesting than a Corolla?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find Corollas quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

bazz26 wrote:
    And your Octavia is more interesting than a Corolla?
    well, yes an Octavia is more interesting than a Borolla......:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement