Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop memory upgrade

Options
  • 18-09-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Just bought a new laptop which has 512MB RAM in one slot and one slot free. Instructions say that it takes PC1600 or PC2100 DDR SO-DIMMs. Could anyone tell me if I can slot in the RAM from my old laptop? In the instructions for my old laptop it says it takes PC266, but just took it out and it says the following on a sticker on the memory:

PC2100S-2533-1-A1
    256MB, DDR, 266, CL2.5

Any help? Not too hot on the tech stuff!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ConorF wrote:
    Just bought a new laptop which has 512MB RAM in one slot and one slot free. Instructions say that it takes PC1600 or PC2100 DDR SO-DIMMs. Could anyone tell me if I can slot in the RAM from my old laptop? In the instructions for my old laptop it says it takes PC266, but just took it out and it says the following on a sticker on the memory:

PC2100S-2533-1-A1
    256MB, DDR, 266, CL2.5

Any help? Not too hot on the tech stuff!

Cheers

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ConorF

Thanks

Will the older RAM have any negative effect on speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

No. Your laptop takes Pc1600 or Pc2100, Pc2100 being faster. Your Ram from the other laptop is Pc2100, the fastest your laptop can take. Might be worth checking if the memory that came with it is Pc2100 or Pc1600.

Just opened up the new laptop. It's a pc2700 stick of RAM in there. That has confused me even more! Am I right in thinking that wouldn't have been running at full speed anyway (as my laptop takes pc1600 to pc2100), and as a result the pc2100 stick I just put in there from my old laptop won't have any adverse effect on speed?

Thanks

I think the instructions I got were wrong about the laptop taking pc1600-pc2100. Just went on to the manufacturer's website's support pages and it says my model takes pc2100-pc2700. That explains things.

One final question (if anyone is reading!):

Will the drop in speed down to pc2100 be such as to not warrant the extra RAM (512MB to 768MB)?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ConorF wrote:
    I think the instructions I got were wrong about the laptop taking pc1600-pc2100. Just went on to the manufacturer's website's support pages and it says my model takes pc2100-pc2700. That explains things.

One final question (if anyone is reading!):

Will the drop in speed down to pc2100 be such as to not warrant the extra RAM (512MB to 768MB)?

Thanks

It'll be fine. You'll notice a difference by having more ram in there, the slower frequency won't be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

If your not sure email the likes of shop for memory quoting your laptop model, worked for me anyway (even replied with sugested ram i coulod buy)

Advertisement