Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding it hard to watch my girlfriend getting drunk

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

The problem dosen't seem to be that you resent her drinking any alcahol at all, rather that you seriously dislike her drinking to excess on a regular basis just for the sake of it.

I would agree with you. If she drank a few, or even several every now and then I don't think you would have a problem with it. But it seems like she's downing all this stuff every weekend. In my opinion thats a perfectly reasonable thing to worry about someone, especially if you really care for her.

However, I would argue that having brought the situation up with her before, where she listened completely to everything you had to say, if you love her as much as you say you do you should accept her feelings about what she wants to do with some of her nights off.

You seem to care for each other. She has respected your feelings by listening to what you have to say, and if you love her you should respect hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks mate, yes that makes sense to me. I do indeed respect her wishes, and will continue to support her even if she continues to binge drink. It might not always be easy to watch it, but relationships never are easy and you have to give and take.

I don't want to change her. I have just realised that this is something I will have to deal with myself. It's not about who is right or wrong, but I just have to accept that not everyone is interested in purging themselves of the need for intoxication.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, but most of the cases for drinking so far have not been at all convincing. 1. Why do you need to feel good? Do you not feel good already? 2. Why do you feel the need to become "more talkative"? Are you unhappy with YOU as YOU ARE naturally? 3. Why do you feel the need to "let loose"? Do you feel tight, tense, what?

Everything so far proves what I've said about alcohol.

As some people have said, Irish minds have simply been conditioned into accepting something that - when looked at without any other influences - is not a positive or natural process for the human body. The chemical process that takes place through alcohol use is actually poisoning.

Alcohol was responsible for the destruction of my uncles familiy, and in the end it killed him when he was still a young man and had plenty if life left in him.

Yeah, you can say that everyone is responsible for their own choices, but alcohol actually takes away choice, it makes the mind dull and ruins clear, rational thinking. It destroys happiness and is actually a depressant.

I thought I had accepted all this... but again, seeing someone I love caught up in all this has made me very sad, and concerned. Seeing all the young people (MY age) in the country caught up in the process of constant intoxication and running from one mindless entertainment to the next makes me sad... I'm not judging anybody, I just want to see people leave all this $hit behind.

I apologise if I actually made you doubt or consider how important alcohol is to your "social" life... maybe I should just go with the flow...

Ok this is getting a bit off track now, do you want advice about the situation with your girlfriend or do you just want to criticise Irish society? because if it the latter then I'm not sure that that's a topic for Personal Issues.

Also you say that the "cases for drinking so far have not been convincing at all". First of all, no-one is trying to convince you to drink, everyone has accepted that you are a non-drinker and you've got support on that. Second what do you want to see? someone posting "Yes, you are totally right and you should preach to your girlfriend until she seems the light and quits drinking"?

Bottom line, if you can't accept her drinking (or drinking in general it seems) then you should leave her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Alcohol was responsible for the destruction of my uncles familiy, and in the end it killed him when he was still a young man and had plenty if life left in him.
    Pretty hard to guess that you were a person with serious issues with alcholol!

That said. I reckon everyone in Ireland can think of an alco that ruined a family or died before 50. Doesnt affect my free choice to drink myself stupid if I should so desire
    Irish minds have simply been conditioned into accepting something that -
    conditioned to agreeing with you? If only we could all be "conditioned" then surely the logic of the anti-drink argument would win?
    And agree with you?
    You being the supreme example of how someone can be at "peace", "at ease", "spiritually happy", "without the poision", ?
    an example of how someone "can cleanse their body" and "pour positive energy into clean living". ?

Man, you sound like THE most serious NON-LAIDBACK person in the world.
    The wrong person to be going out with a drinker.

Either you learn to relax and genuinely find the ability to be at ease with you drink "PHOBIA" which leads you to believe that drinkers are stupid, uneducated, lepers
    or
    you find yourself a new chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The OP obviously does find the idea of drink unpalatable, but to be fair to him he only develops a problem with his gfs drinking when he sees it's gone beyond the point where the drug is working for her. Trying to talk about that without bringing the 'Irish Question' into is is difficult because what she's doing is so much a part of the network she lives in.

Even though the OP has gone off track, the issue really is binge drinking, not drinking, which is only one form of drug taking and as such will always exist. Where binge drinking is not being able to stop until you are too senseless to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol, this reminds me of the "Fear and Love" chart from Donnie Darko.
    To the rest of the posters, if the OP's post had read "My girlfriend uses heroin and speedballs once a week", what would the response be? Universal negativity towards the girlfriend - but because she uses alcohol instead, everyone supports the girlfriend and ridicules the OP. It's her body leave her alone - as long as she's just drinking, right?
    Funnily enough, using heroin once a week would actually be a lot healthier than binge drinking once a week, but that's sooietal acceptance and anti-drug myths/propoganda vs. scientific and medical fact for you.
    AFAIK speedballs, however, are a totally different matter altogether.

OP, who cares if we're all deluded and don't really need drugs/alcohol to be happy? Just chill out man. You sound very uptight.

As regards to your actual situation - you're deluding yourself by thinking this girl is right for you. She's not, she's causing you emotional strain. It's hard but it has to end IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flirt1100

stick to your guns....

Advertisement