Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

affordable housing cut off points

Options
  • 18-09-2006 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

i earn the €40,000 limit for housing in dublin

i want to get a house myself.
    problem is that, at present, my girlfriend lives with me.

if i apply, would they insist on taking her earnings into account. this would push me over the €100,000 limit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

The limit for the affordable housing initiative is €55k.

You should be entitled to apply on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

the_batman wrote:
    The limit for the affordable housing initiative is €55k.

You should be entitled to apply on your own.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=84&deptid=7&faq=true#faq310
    Single Income Household
    Principal Income €40,000.00 €42,000.00

Formula
    €40,000 x 2.5 =€100,000 €42,000 x 2.5 = €105,000
    Eligible Yes No

i was just going by the above
    could be out of date

so you think that non married I can apply in my own name?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Only two of the four local authorities have a e40,000 income limit - South Dublin County Council and Fingal. Dublin City Council has a e65,000 limit and there is none in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, there it's based on your ability to pay the mortgage. Your eligibility is based on last year's income so presumably you qualify for all four unless you didn't get any pay increase this year. The affordable housing initiative is a different scheme with an income limit that is usually e55,000 for a single person, occasionally higher
    The fact that your girlfriend lives with you is irrelevant, it's based on your ability to pay the mortgage so unless she'd be paying part of the mortgage (and this is the legal question) it won't matter. You should be more than able to pay for an affordable housing place on your own with a e200,000 max mortgage (your max at a salary of e40k). You obviously want to buy more than a one-bed so you can say you'll get in a tenant to help pay the mortgage, which obviously would be your gf. However, as far as I know (and I could be correct) if you don't have a formal lease agreement with your girlfriend, she can claim she was contributing to the mortgage if you split up and may have a stake in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

I had my interview recently with Fingal. I was not asked if I was having a relationship with my current housemate. As far as anyone is concerned, your girlfriend is your house/flatmate and should not make any difference to your application. If you were married to her or had children, it might make a difference.

Advertisement