Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be a teacher?

Options
  • 18-09-2006 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Ok here it goes, what do you reckon. Was 30 this year, have 3 children 5,2,9 months. Was quite a high achiever in school got enough points for University, but went with the wrong course, left, and ended up in civil service. I am currently on career break, and have been thinking back to school, and what old classmates ended up as. I had always said all along that I wanted to teach post primary, ( got distracted as a teenager and went with something else) I put it off as the years and kids came, and now at 30 think that if I don't do it now I never will. How could I go about this? Mature student, or night time degree. I need to make this descision for next year.
    As I am at home with the kids during the day, I don't have an income to loose,(but do have a husband with a fairly good job) would I be entitled grants for fees etc? Where can I find any info, I could do with my old career guidance teacher right now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You might get a better response over on the Teaching/Lecturing forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi

Just to ask have you got a degree already? If not then you could go for an arts degree course either full time (during the day) or evening classes. I went back full time as a mature student as it was more viable for me financially, plus it is quicker.

I guess the considerations you have is 1) money and 2) managing your time for study along with running a home and caring for your three children. My son is eight so for me it is a little easier, but it is a struggle to manage my time, but I also have to commute to college as I live in Arklow.

In terms of finance if you don't have a degree then you will be able to do a day time course without paying any fees, but you may have to pay the admin fees, which for UCD is nearly 800 euros a year. You may qualify for a full grant or a partial grant depending on your husband's income, there is a link here for the rates (see the sticky). If you think that it may be better during the day financially then go for it, as you will get your degree quicker.

However, and maybe this may the bigger concern, as your youngest is only nine months, I am assuming your time is very much taken up with the baby, are you getting a full nights sleep? Believe me you'll need sleep to be able to cope with the workload. Would you be able to arrange adequate childcare, again I can only be UCD specific, they have a creche on site, but is your five year old going to school and if so can you arrange for someone to pick him/her up if your held up in lectures? Is your husband supportive of this (I don't mean asking his permission, but will he be able and happy to help out with extra chores in the home, plus the extra costs involved for books, materials, lunches etc., I know this all sounds very daunting - I guess I'm trying to cover all angles). It may be better to try night time courses because the childcare issue is covered, plus it takes longer so as the children get older when you go for your hdip, you can go for it on a full time basis.

Having bombarded you with practicals I will add the benefits and believe me there are, you will be working towards something that you want and desire (increased confidence, keeping the mind alive and achieving your own goals) you'll meet great people and widen your world, and at the end the chance to do a job you love and increase your pay and career prospects. I personally am delighted to be in college, and yes there are difficulties but because I accept them and look at the bigger picture I take them in my stride. I would also urge you to chat to a career guidance advisor, a lot of them are attached to various VTOS centres, and will have more in depth knowledge or colleges and their systems, as well as helping you apply via the CAO. Good luck

Advertisement