Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console?

Options
  • 18-09-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi I am mulling over the idea of which console to get,
    I am mainly thinking of th ps3 but like the look of the wii,
    money is not an issue as I won 600 euro playing poker and decided to spend it on a ps3 but am having second thoughts, the price of games however will be an issue,
    on play.com the prices seem very high the wii is 279 with games at 65 each

I have a big 32 inch widescreen but don't nor never will have hdtv, I like the idea of the dvd recorder in the ps3 will that work with my dvd-r discs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sillyaspie

Also is a drop in price of xbox360 likely soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

ps3 will be so rare at launch that yo could probably try it for a week or two and then just sell it if you don't like it. Worst case, you'll break even

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Chances are if you want a PS3 before christmas you will be paying over the odds for it. Either through dodgy bundles or shops increasing prices for demand.

I'd look and see what games you want for each console and see which one interests you more and decide from that.

The PS3 doesn't have a dvd recorder of any sorts BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sillyaspie

Are you serious, I am very surprised by that fact, maybee my info was from the speculation days, I guess they are coming down to about a hundred lately,
    Isn't the ps3 delayed till March 07?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Chances are if you want a PS3 before christmas you will be paying over the odds for it. Either through dodgy bundles or shops increasing prices for demand.

I'd look and see what games you want for each console and see which one interests you more and decide from that.

The PS3 doesn't have a dvd recorder of any sorts BTW.

PS3 wont be in europe until March '07 so unless he imports he wont be getting one before then. My advice would be to wait for the Wii, lets face it anyway the PS3 wont have any truly great games for a year or so and maybe by then the price might be a little bit more reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ho-Hum wrote:
    PS3 wont have any truly great games for a year

for europe the thing launches with UT2007, and a few months after that we get MGS. that's two of the biggest games anyone's looking at within the launch window right there

Any source on the MGS launch date? Also I assume he's talking about exclusive games.
    PS3 wont be in europe until March '07 so unless he imports he wont be getting one before then.
    Forgot about this, I'm way too tired >_<

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the most logical choice is a Wii. It doesn't cost much and you will have it before christmas. By the time the PS3 is out you should have enough to afford it. Also I'd say it will be next to impossible to get a PS3 at launch so it will give you another month or so until the next batch come in. The PS3 launch titles don't look that good anyway. UT2007 is better played on a PC and MGS4 is more likely a Christmas 2007/Spring 2008 title.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Any source on the MGS launch date?

nothing solid but looking at the very advanced state of the engine i'm going to say between may and winter 2007 (vague, i know, but it does fall within launch if it's may)
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    UT2007 is better played on a PC and MGS4 is more likely a Christmas 2007/Spring 2008 title.

i do tend to agree but ps3 is a better option if you don't want to deal with the graphics/physics card debate that no doubt will rage on. the ps3'll support keyboard & mouse anyway, and will probably push cross-platform gaming with UT (as in PC & PS3 deathmatch together) thanks to XFire

nothing solid but looking at the very advanced state of the engine i'm going to say between may and winter 2007 (vague, i know, but it does fall within launch if it's may)
    Hideos games always look great in vids even early on.
    will probably push cross-platform gaming with UT (as in PC & PS3 deathmatch together) thanks to XFire
    Xfire is only for Untold legends ;)

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Hideos games always look great in vids even early on.

Xfire is only for Untold legends ;)

i'm aware the mgs4 engine is VERY late in development right now. as it stands they're in that point where they're in the tunnel & can see the light at the end.

as for Xfire... wtf. that move makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Hideos games always look great in vids even early on

The beauty of pre-rendered movies.
    as for Xfire... wtf. that move makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. weird...

Ever hear of a little thing called x-box live. Now instead of trying to create their own version and spending millions developing, beta testing and working out the kinks they bought a working version thats used by millions already. Yeah, makes no sense at all.

krazy_8s wrote:
    The beauty of pre-rendered movies.
    I doubt it, look real time to me.
    krazy_8s wrote:
    Ever hear of a little thing called x-box live. Now instead of trying to create their own version and spending millions developing, beta testing and working out the kinks they bought a working version thats used by millions already. Yeah, makes no sense at all.
    Read the link, what he's saying is just using it for one game doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I doubt it, look real time to me..

Read the link, what he's saying is just using it for one game doesn't make sense.

Dont believe how any game looks untill I see it in person, companys love to demo games with prerendered movies or on a machine with unatainable specs.

They are starting with one game. The pc to playstation port of x-fire is not going to go completely smoothly at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What kind of games do you like? What genre? List some of your favourites? What does your gut tell you? What was pushing you towards a PS3 (like particular games, or another reason)?

I'd be inclined to say get a 360 now, and a Wii when it's out (December).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They already proved that the MGS4 demo was real time at one of the trade shows. There is a video were they paused the demo and moved around in it in real time while changing stuff like lighting.

As for it's release date the word is that it will be Christmas 2007 at the very earliest. There's no chance of a May release.

krazy_8s wrote:

it's for one game only... not an entire online platform...

Advertisement