Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educating Rita

• 18-09-2006 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭

I've just signed up for the Oscail BA Programme. I'm taking two modules after a VERY long absence from real education. Really feel scared, don't know what I've let myself in for. Haven't written an essay since 1977 !!
    Has anyone out there been in the same situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi, I am in a simlar situation!

I am 30 shortly and just started doing a degree at night! I have never studied at this level before and in my school days I wasn't very good at studying etc.

So I am a bit anxious as to how to study etc :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A few tips that I found useful:

Get a room. Seriously. Get a room somewhere that you can make your own space. Somewhere you can leave your stuff, walk away, and come back without it being touched. The kitchen table is an example of where not to study. A spare bedroom with a desk is the best option.

Also, it may sound obvious, but somewhere relatively quiet. I personally couldn't study with the radio on or outside noise.

I find studying in short bursts works for me. 10-20 minutes at a time, go for a cup of tea, toilet break, whatever. Go back and look over what you have read previously.

Summarise. When you get to a logical stop point (e.g. end of a section, chapter), summarise in your own words what you have just learned. It will be a useful memory aid later.

And finally, if you are doing any work on a computer, BACK IT UP! You WILL lose data on your computer at some stage, so make sure you have a copy of any files you need. Put them onto a CD or DVD and store them somewhere safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that! It makes sense! I will try to use that when I TRY to study! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

Yikes ! Whats this studying lark? I thought all I's have to do is read a couple of books and write the odd essay. Thank God I'm doing introductory modules.

Advertisement