Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good trad session in Dublin

Options
  • 18-09-2006 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

I want to take a German friend to a proper session as the only experience of trad has been Temple Bar. Any suggestions on particularly good nights/pubs. I know the Cobblestone but that place always seems to be jammed.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Best kind of session is the jammed kind. If you get there early you can get a good seat and have a great night. I only really know some private sessions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

theres a great session in a pub called DARKIE KELLYS on fishamble street,its beside the dublin corpo offices on the quays in the city center.it kicks off about 4 on sunday afternoon.play a bit of everything call singers up and theres a lad there that reads funny poetery/stories.if you prefer it a bit quiter theres also a ballad session/sing song in barrys hotel on sundays about 4 also but give DARKIES ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

They have a fine session in there and authentic too, not like your temple bar mularkey. Not sure which nights, but definitely Thursday nights anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 doiteain

There is a Trad session every night in the Anglers Rest Pub in the Strawberry beds. The session starts about 8 every night and all are welcome.. Music all day sundays in the Salmon Bar. Again kinda an open session, anyone who is any use can play and have a few pints.

* Directions if u need them*:)

The Anglers Rest is on the lower road, strawberry beds Dublin. From City centre, Travel up the south quays, cross at Heuston Station and left onto park gate street. continue on that road until the Mullingar house pub and Car Garage. Turn right and drive straight up Knockmaroon Hill. Left at the fork in the road and the pub is on the right. Carpark on the left.

From Phoenix park. Travel up Chesterfield Avenue. Turn left onto Ordinance survey road and out the Knockmaroon gate. Turn right down the hill and the pub is on the right hand side. Carpark on the left.

Plus the pub is there since 1862.. Ohh and the session is purely acoustic, so no amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

anywhere that has a good session on a Saturday night? have some foreign friends/inlaws in town . i know o'donoghues but gets very packed. any other venues would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Like i posted above, anglers rest. not too far from town and its old school and really nice. food is good 2. like a Jonny Fox's only not miles away, ohh and clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

doiteain wrote: »
    Like i posted above, anglers rest. not too far from town and its old school and really nice. food is good 2. like a Jonny Fox's only not miles away, ohh and clean
    thanks for that but i'm really talking city centre as i have a party of a dozen or so with no designated drivers and we certainly won't be in a position to drive on the way home.

I know The Anglers rest get a 20% discount from Xpert taxis, only €10 into city centre and even that will be devided between a few. 2 7 seaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mark3Sixty

There is a great trad session in the bar @ The Village Inn Clondalkin...kicks off between 8pm and 9pm every monday night and there is always a bit of a buzz around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

lads I think you could be 4 to 5 years too late for these Germans. Orig post was back in 2006. Good to know where the sessions are though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement