Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator bullying on weather forums..

Options
  • 18-09-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few days i have found myself being target by moderator "snowbie" on the weather forums. I posted threads and comments on a weather event and i was the target of specific saracstic and snide remarks. The thread titled changed to that of a ridiuclus riddle in order to rise me if one could say.

He duely got a slightly condescending comment out of me and he was very happy to pull the trigger and ban me. The guy obviously dislikes me but i would expect a non partizan moderator on the forums.

I would to complain about this moderator as i feel he is holding back what could be a very interesting forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054991878
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Reading that thread reveals two things:

1) From what I can see, you did not deserve a ban.
    2) Equally, from what I can see, there is no evidence that you're being personally picked on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah "Day after tomorrow" guy, you're back.

We're all still here. Noone's been killed in freak weather conditions yet. Though looking at your nasty weather forecasts, I wonder why you feel the need to complain about Snowbie. Sure the wind and ice will take him first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:D Thanks for your posts guys!

Weather is a really fickle thing. Everything i post does come from a proper
    source but as with weather its' never certain:)

As for the upcoming Gordon storm is could prove to be a windy/ wet miss
    or a severe event with wind gusts to 80mph and loads of rain;)

At the moment the ECM model which the irish met use is showing the
    storm on the south coast with sustained 55mph winds on Thursday midnight:)

Again thanks for your opinions;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

We didn't listen stark WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The thread titled changed to that of a ridiuclus riddle in order to rise me if one could say.
    You were told that the thread title changed because the thread was merged with another relevant one.
    He duely got a slightly condescending comment out of me
    Thats a matter of opinion, though condescending answers to a moderators decision are hardly ever seen as "due" on any board here.
    i would expect a non partizan moderator on the forums.
    Would you prefer a moderator who didn't know his stuff? Good luck finding a non-partisian, informed person.
    he was very happy to pull the trigger and ban me.
    When you were asked to stop changing the title of the thread, you threw your toys out of the pram, and promised not to come back. Why, therefore, does the ban bother you?

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    you did not deserve a ban.
    It could be argued that he was deserving for a possible contravention of the charter by img linking a pic without the permission of the copyright holder. If you wanted to be pedantic, and possibly reaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It could be argued that he was deserving for a possible contravention of the charter by img linking a pic without the permission of the copyright holder. If you wanted to be pedantic, and possibly reaching.

Hey, don't selectively quote me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

When you were asked to stop changing the title of the thread, you threw your toys out of the pram, and promised not to come back. Why, therefore, does the ban bother you?

Well I suppose choosing not to come back to a forum is one thing.

Being baned (without justification) is quite another.

sudzs wrote:
    Well I suppose choosing not to come back to a forum is one thing.

Being baned (without justification) is quite another.
    Perhaps its not so unjustified as we might be lead to believe...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52073736&postcount=11
    Tristrame wrote:
    Any breach of the charter,(which WC has clearly breached as per post 2 by ignoring the thread creation guidelines) can lead to a ban at the mods discretion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52073700&postcount=10
    Tristrame wrote:
    What you may not realise is that WC behind the scenes does not like being moderated.He tends to send rather not nice pms to mods.
    Thats why he got a site ban on TWO and unfortunately he is carrying on the same way here and theres only one thing thats going to lead to.

Funny how that got left out of the original version of the story, eh? Any truth Weathercheck?

Truth in what Aidan?

That i got banned from a weather forum 2 and half years ago?? ( when i was 14 and half years of age?)

Anyway all im off to bed i never believed i win over you all but
    i just felt quite offended and felt like getting a consensus, keep
    your posts coming:D ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Using the fact he was banned over 2 years ago is ridiculus. If he was banned for what happened on that thread then its unfair, if he was banned based on past events even though other regular posters have said he is a good contributor then its still ridiculus.

I hope his fellow posters stand by him and boycott the forum until he is unbanned.

@ 6th

(1) WC's thread was a charter violation.
    That part of the charter was put in place by me when I was mod of that board to keep the board tidy and to stem the flow of several ridiculous threads by WC.

Many of his armageddon threads have been merged or locked on that board.

Now snowbie's first reaction to WC's charter violation was to merge his thread with another...
    It's WC's actions afterwards that escalated the matter.

Not to mention abusive pm's

(2) I have a catalog of abusive pm's from WC stretching back over his tenure on boards,I've laughed most of them off tbh because he's young.He's not a very nice person behind the scenes though and has in my opinion a lot to learn as regards his behaviour.
    He knows this but he couldn't care less,he'd rather be petulant.

As regards his ban on one of the UK's biggest weather fora TWO well that was for behaving much the same way as he did here but it was made permanent when he sent some awfull abuse to one of the admins of that site.
    I was made aware of this but I didnt ban him because of it.
    But of course when he started at the exact same lark over here, thats when he got the heavy hand of moderation and rightly so.

First off I read the forum a bit here and there but never post, its usually WCs posts I find interesting.
    Tristrame wrote:
    (1) WC's thread was a charter violation.
    That part of the charter was put in place by me when I was mod of that board to keep the board tidy and to stem the flow of several ridiculous threads by WC.

So you put things in place to stop WC type of posts because you believe they were ridiculous? So there is no room to post things which might not happen? Did you spot the Sunami?
    Tristrame wrote:
    Not to mention abusive pm's

Abusive pms? ... take it to the mod forum and i'm sure a permanent site ban will follow. Abuse isnt tolerated on Boards.

Tristrame wrote:
    (2) I have a catalog of abusive pm's from WC stretching back over his tenure on boards,I've laughed most of them off tbh because he's young.

So you got abusive pms from him and you didnt follow the correct procedure - yet you throw them back at him now?
    Tristrame wrote:
    He's not a very nice person behind the scenes though and has in my opinion a lot to learn as regards his behaviour.

They are your personal opinions and seeing as you are not the mod that has banned him in this case are irrelevant. I'm not always a nice person "behind the scenes" should i be site banned cos i may not be likeable? I'm sure there are people who dont like you and feel there is room for improvement.
    Tristrame wrote:
    As regards his ban on one of the UK's biggest weather fora TWO well that was for behaving much the same way as he did here but it was made permanent when he sent some awfull abuse to one of the admins of that site.

Again its irrelevant here, should background checks be done on all posters incase they've used other message boards?

Tristrame wrote:
    I was made aware of this but I didnt ban him because of it.

But you'll us that info now to discredit him because you want to stand up for a mod of a forum you once moderated.
    Tristrame wrote:
    But of course when he started at the exact same lark over here, thats when he got the heavy hand of moderation and rightly so.

If he was banned for abuse now why wasnt he before when he sent so many to you as a mod in the past? Were you not moderating correctly? If the ban is because of abusive pms to snowie then why was he informed of the ban in the thread that the mod obviously had a problem with - this could very easily have been taken up as a ban solely due to that thread. That is how many see it and why many see it as unjust, if its not the case fair enough, still poor mod'ing

Its only happening now because the mod doesnt (as you dont) like how he posts extreme (yet unoffensive) and interesting threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

6th wrote:
    I hope his fellow posters stand by him and boycott the forum until he is unbanned.
    I for one vow never to post there again until this terrible injustice is righted.

I was thinking of "Free Weathercheck" as a campaign slogan, but it sounds more like an offer from a dodgy double-glazing salesman, so maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I for one vow never to read there until this terrible injustice is righted.

and then, i'll find some other injustice so as not to read there. oh well.

6th wrote:
    First off I read the forum a bit here and there but never post, its usually WCs posts I find interesting.
    I'm glad you do.I wish he was a little less petulant though.Snowbie only merged two threads and he had WC doing an indian dance.Thats simply not on.
    So you put things in place to stop WC type of posts because you believe they were ridiculous? So there is no room to post things which might not happen? Did you spot the Sunami?
    Theres tidiness.
    As for the Sunami,that has nothing to do with weather, thats to do with under sea earthquakes ;)

Abusive pms? ... take it to the mod forum and i'm sure a permanent site ban will follow. Abuse isnt tolerated on Boards.
    ;) have you been looking in then?
    So you got abusive pms from him and you didnt follow the correct procedure - yet you throw them back at him now?
    Theres no one procedure.
    They are your personal opinions and seeing as you are not the mod that has banned him in this case are irrelevant.
    And yours are?
    I'm not always a nice person "behind the scenes" should i be site banned cos i may not be likeable? I'm sure there are people who dont like you and feel there is room for improvement.
    Well If I had a penny for the number of times,I've observed bans lengthened because the pm reply from the banned person was abusive,I'd have a lot of them.
    It's a fairly standard understandable procedure.
    Again its irrelevant here, should background checks be done on all posters incase they've used other message boards?
    It's all information and incidently why shouldnt one take the information and use it? I didnt ban WC and neither did snowbie because of that information.
    It is relevant as it shows you that this isnt his first time at that.
    Mind you I usually ignore it.
    I gave WC huge latitude actually.
    But you'll us that info now to discredit him because you want to stand up for a mod of a forum you once moderated.
    Not at all I'll just present the facts.

If he was banned for abuse now why wasnt he before when he sent so many to you as a mod in the past? Were you not moderating correctly?
    Well I did ban him before after his elastic band broke...
    If the ban is because of abusive pms to snowie then why was he informed of the ban in the thread that the mod obviously had a problem with
    He was pm'ed that the ban was for a month,thats fairly normal.For what its worth,I dont think he should be sitebanned now.But I do agree with the forum ban and I do agree with the lengthening of it based on wc's response to snowbies pm.
    this could very easily have been taken up as a ban solely due to that thread. That is how many see it and why many see it as unjust, if its not the case fair enough, still poor mod'ing
    The charter is there,you go to after hours and flaunt its charter or any of the boards charters and see what happens.
    Its only happening now because the mod doesnt (as you dont) like how he posts extreme (yet unoffensive) and interesting threads?
    No its not only happening now,its happened before.
    Often,I and DapperGent spent too much time tidying up many of WC's funny threads.He's been warned by the mods of that boar a gazzillion times.

He's an awful attention seeker,but shur let him at it, it doesnt bother me to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

MOD'S HATE ME: Get over it, if you've got a problem with a user,warn them...dont ban them.

TWO YEARS AGO: wtf? he made his mistake. Give him a chance....

ABUSIVE PM'S: No Mod's seem to remember a post in the Mod forum, you (imo) disobeyed the correct course of action for abuse.

Weathercheck, I think bringing it to feedback was also a bit of a silly decision, bring it to an admin who will actually follow the rules of action as this is "bullying"

6th, yep, some people dislike you but ur a fair guy...and you must have spent a long time making that post in Weathercheck's defence. Great Work...

...and for any other mod like tristame, get lost. It aint your battle, if you were abused, report it, instead of standing up for another Mod who asn't tried to defend him/herself yet.

I hereby will not access the weather forum at all until justice has been served and ask that someone PM me when justice is accounted for...

I'm beinning to get the impression that the Weather forum is like a bookmaker's...you make a wrong decision about the weather and you pay hell. The tSunami in the middle east was not foreseen until about 2hours after it happened, then everyone jumped up and down telling baout how they predicted it.... I think I might as well ring God now and ask him to join boards and go onto the weather forum, he's about the only person that will guess all the weather events, and the only one willing to go low enough to access it...

It's Scum like this that drag down Boards to dog pooh...

ur a fair mod
    Half right. He ain't a mod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Weathercheck, how many forums have you actually been banned from in your time. I noticed you were banned from the Horse Racing forum in the past. Are you a bit of a bogey? Or are you just misunderstood?

Half right. He ain't a mod :)
    Ur quick there, I made a bad slip up* :D

[size=-2]*thanks for telling me[/size]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also, he's not fair, he's strawberry blonde.

Racist!!!
    is he actually ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

imagine getting into an arguement about the weather...jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I feel like arguing with you now about the spelling of the word argument. We can play some verbal tennis for a while and then go back to abusing each other about soccer. Each to their own I guess.

This isn't the weather forum. You're being banned from the weather forum, rightly or wrongly, does not turn other forums into the weather forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

My 2c:
    I think WC always goes for the most extreme likelihood as forecast by the many charts. He also adds a bit of sensationalism to them.

However, anyone that frequents the weather forum regularly knows this, so I don't see it as a problem (plus there's always the possibility of his forecast coming off - I believe he was the first person to predict snow on Christmas day, 2 years ago, a prediction that was met with some skepticism iirc).

I also remember the last time he was banned from weather; at the time it seemed to be a harsh ban as well.
    I don't know the content of his abusive pm's, but I would guess they’re not too bad, considering how most of his posts are treated by some of the folks on the weather forum.

Bottom line is I think he shouldn't have been banned as I like reading his take on upcoming events and they always have some basis in fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I too read the Weather forum and like 6th I find Weatherchecks posts interesting. I don't see what the big hassle is with them/him even if they are not the most accurate. It's not like Boards is anyones first port of call for a weather forecast.

There appears to be very little tolerance where he is concerned on the Weather forum.

Tristrame wrote:
    I'm glad you do.I wish he was a little less petulant though.Snowbie only merged two threads and he had WC doing an indian dance.Thats simply not on.

Well if the ban is just a forum ban it should be based on his behavior on the forum. If the ban is due to abusive emails and he has a history of this then its a bigger issue and should be a site ban. Personal abuse is not tolerated on boards.

btw all my points till stand except for the tSunami one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

the only thing I got from reading your thread was that if it ever came down to a war of Weather geeks vs Chess geeks. The Weather geeks will win hands down.

• Advertisement

wait ... who are the chess geeks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement