Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE1 Radio - Program about Waterford Border Extension

• 18-09-2006 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

On Tom McGurk's program on RTE1 radio now, theres a big discussion on the border extension.

From RTE.ie
    "Tonight's programme comes live from O'Flynn's Bar in Ferrybank, a small enclave of Waterford city on the Kilkenny side of the River Suir. The local community has long been divided between those whose allegiance is to Kilkenny and those who support Waterford. Even the local GAA pitch is half in Waterford and half in Kilkenny. Controversy rages over a proposal by Waterford City to extend it's boundaries deep into rural South Kilkenny, and making the rural hurling-mad village of Slievroe part of the city hinterland. "

One beauty of a quote.. "Losing a townland is like having a member of the family kidnapped". :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/tonightwithvincentbrowne/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening. Fupping GAA Jersey mentality! :mad:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Jesus Wept..

We're talking about hurling now. Again.

Mary Roche is talking for the city council. She's impressing me a lot recently. Theres plenty of common sense spoken by her.

Who is the Kilkenny County Councillor who was roaring "The letters have went!! The letters have went!!" ??
    She started talking about Parish rule in terms of hurling then. What has that to do with anything?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hurling is all they have in south Kilkenny.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A bit pissed of with Jack Burchaull's opening comment about been stoned at the clock tower this evening. He knocks the **** out of Waterford at every given opportunity, but yet he has no problem earning his living from Waterford.

Trotter wrote:
    Who is the Kilkenny County Councillor who was roaring "The letters have went!! The letters have went!!" ??
    She started talking about Parish rule in terms of hurling then. What has that to do with anything?!

Cora Long. She is a member of FF.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/person.php4?pid=605&show=Councillor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Aquos76 wrote:

She made herself sound very parochial and backward in my opinion.

Ah ffs, I am sick to the death of this GAA ****e. Look get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Trotter wrote:
    On Tom McGurk's program on RTE1 radio now, theres a big discussion on the border extension.

From RTE.ie
    "Tonight's programme comes live from O'Flynn's Bar in Ferrybank, a small enclave of Waterford city on the Kilkenny side of the River Suir. The local community has long been divided between those whose allegiance is to Kilkenny and those who support Waterford. Even the local GAA pitch is half in Waterford and half in Kilkenny. Controversy rages over a proposal by Waterford City to extend it's boundaries deep into rural South Kilkenny, and making the rural hurling-mad village of Slievroe part of the city hinterland. "

One beauty of a quote.. "Losing a townland is like having a member of the family kidnapped". :rolleyes:

They should have used 'duelling banjos' as the intro. Anyone who's seen Deliverance will know what I'm on about. I thought Davy Walsh was brilliant (and I wouldn't normally be a fan). Classic one where one of the yokels was quoting 10,000 signatures and Davy pointed out there were only 3,000 living in the area concerned.!!

As for that councillor from Piltown. FFS does she not realise it does not impact her? Then Paddy Buggy going on about something from the 30s:rolleyes:

But that Jack Burchall had some neck - as Aquos has already pointed out - biting the hand that feeds him - but sure is he any different to the rest of them on that score.

Realistically this extension won't go ahead at this particular junction beecause of the impact on FF vote in SKK. But it WILL happen - and sooner rather than later.

The narrow minded, suspicious, and downright begrudging nature of kilkenny people shone through (as it always does).

And - I stand corrrected if wrong - does Tomas Breathneach not earn a living as a teacher in a Waterford school?

For a population which distrusts us implicitly it's a wonder they even take the chance to cross the Bridge - but then again we're the only game in town; indeed the region.;) :D

Well done Mary and Davy - take a bow the both of ye!

Freddie59 wrote:
    And - I stand corrrected if wrong - does Tomas Breathneach not earn a living as a teacher in a Waterford school?

Spot on Freddie. Mount Sion Secondary School.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Spot on Freddie. Mount Sion Secondary School.

I thought so.:rolleyes: Thanks Aquos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Trotter wrote:
    She made herself sound very parochial and backward in my opinion.

Thats because she is, as are all the FF councillors in south KK. And we have one of them running for the Dail here too, Bobby Alyward, one of the most backward boggers you'd meet anywhere in Ireland. Nice one FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

mfitzy wrote:
    Thats because she is, as are all the FF councillors in south KK. And we have one of them running for the Dail here too, Bobby Alyward, one of the most backward boggers you'd meet anywhere in Ireland. Nice one FF.

Phil Hogan of FG isn't much better... ask him does FG support a University of the SE.. and you will know what I mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote:
    Phil Hogan of FG isn't much better... ask him does FG support a University of the SE.. and you will know what I mean...

But he's not in government.. FF are, they are the ones to blame for refusing to give SE a uni. Remember the current minsiter for education saying before that WIT was 'doing fine' as it was and effectively implying a university wasn't needed; I'd be much more worried about that now than what a TD in opposition was saying.
    Also a FF TD, M.J. Nolan in Carlow/KK saying that the smaller Carlow IT should be the main Uni campus, not WIT. Don't think Bobby Alyward will press the need for a uni too much either, if he gets in and FF are returned to office. Not if the desperate interview I heard him give with KCLR a while back was anything to go by. Cringing listening to him.

As for FG and the SE university, a former graduate of WIT is running here, JP Phelan and he has been very pro-Waterford;
    http://www.johnpaulphelan.com/read_press.php?PressID=101
    http://www.johnpaulphelan.com/read_press.php?PressID=91

Indeed it's not just WIT he wants investment in, also Ardkeen regional. You would be waiting a long time to read such statements from B Alyward or the like.

Trotter wrote:

From RTE.ie

The quote of the night for me was the one when Tom McGurk mixed up Kilmacow with Kilmacthomas. One of the assembled Kilkenny intellectuals pointed out that Kilmacthomas was in 'another jurisdiction'. I kid you not - couldn't even bring himself to speak the word Waterford. What a bunch.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The GAA has a lot to answer for.

When this thing finally comes to a head, about 6 months after the election, we'll see how far Ireland has really progressed.

Advertisement