Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Election!

Options
  • 18-09-2006 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

It's only september and theres already an election! It's the richboy face-off between Michael Clark and Richard Waghorne for the postgrad set on Governing Authority or so it says on ucdsu.net. Says they went to the same school. Sounds bitchy! Wonder who'll win, neither has a great record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

kevins wrote:
    It's only september and theres already an election! It's the richboy face-off between Michael Clark and Richard Waghorne for the postgrad set on Governing Authority or so it says on ucdsu.net. Says they went to the same school. Sounds bitchy! Wonder who'll win, neither has a great record.

Er..I don't know whats your definition of a good record but I'm willing to bet its better then yours.

Michael Clark is a 3rd PhD student in Science and the former UCDSU Returning Officer Emeritus.He is a honourary libarian of Lawsoc as well as being its Vice-Auditor this year.He is a regular contributor for the Observer winning the "Current Affairs Writer of the Year" Award.Michael has a long involvement in Fianna Fail in which he's the secretary of Dun Laoghaire Ogra.

Richard Waghorne is a Research Fellow in the School of Politics and International Relations.He entered UCD in 2002 getting elected to the SU Council and the Academic Council of UCD.He ran for President of UCDSU failing to win the election.He graduated with a Double First in Politics and Philosophy.Richard Waghorne is the Executive Director of the Freedom Institute an Irish economic right wing think tank.

That's pretty much their profiles but its not exhaustive as they each have won many awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

kevins wrote:
    I don't know about Waghorne, but Clark has a great record. (admittadly he took a while to get it, but at least he always kept moving forward, unlike certain union people ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I don't know about Waghorne, but Clark has a great record. (admittadly he took a while to get it, but at least he always kept moving forward, unlike certain union people ;) )

Richard Waghorne is actually quite well known.He writes a monthly article for the Magill magazine and other credits to numerous newspapers like the Irish Times and Independent.

I don't know what you mean by Clark taking a long time to get a record, he was a Returning Officer for five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would have thought both would have an excellent record.
    Richard ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hello, my name is Wichard Waghorne...now would be the best time to laugh at what I just said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sangre wrote:
    Hello, my name is Wichard Waghorne...now would be the best time to laugh at what I just said.

Hey thats out of order !!!!!!

Both are good guys. Voted for Waghorne in 2004. Felt he was a clear thinker and would take the union forward. Highly intelligent, and anybody who attended Barrettgate in 2004 will remeber his finer talents as he tried to defend free speech from real fascists.

Michael Clark is equally good. When I ran for President in 2005 his friendlyness and workrate took my breath away. He has overlooked elections involving activists from Seamus to Angus, Abey to Jimmy, Shaun to Shane and Enda to well Jane.

Personally I feel its time he gets elected toi something. Richard would do an excellent job, but for sheer involvement id give Michael my vote, if i had one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its out of order to point out the guy has a sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sangre wrote:
    Its out of order to point out the guy has a sense of humour?
    i hope he has one...his name is dick waghorne ffs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I think Richard Waghorne was born 30 years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Clarkus Maximus ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Clarkus Maximus ftw.

Pfft, losing your touch little hacko dude...it's Maximvs Clarkimvs. Also, Michael ftw. I like Richard, but anyone who can still wear their Gonzaga tracksuit bottoms in the middle of a phd has my votail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morgan Shelley

Richard Waghorne has withdrawn from the Governing Authority postgraduate election.

As a result, Michael Clark has been declared elected unopposed, and voting is therefore cancelled.

Mr. Clark will take his place on the Governing Authority of the University in accordance with s.16(2)(d)(v) of the Universities Act 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

On a side note is anyone here considering running for class rep? There was a few people who said they were last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I am, hopefully unopposed *fingers crossed*. There's more seats this year, especially in Sci, Heaslth Sci, Eng + Arch so run ppl. Forms are in the Student Centre + Deadline for nominations is 5 on friday.

+ Go Mr Clarke, Woot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

dajaffa wrote:
    I am, hopefully unopposed *fingers crossed*. There's more seats this year, especially in Sci, Heaslth Sci, Eng + Arch so run ppl. Forms are in the Student Centre + Deadline for nominations is 5 on friday.

+ Go Mr Clarke, Woot!

Surely you want a talented opponent who you still stomp into the ground, so you can feel the democratic victor? ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Michael D was to be seen chanting "Default! Default! Default!" in the Arts block today. Not a word of a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Michael D was to be seen chanting "Default! Default! Default!" in the Arts block today. Not a word of a lie.

Seconded.

Michael D's a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

panda100 wrote:
    On a side note is anyone here considering running for class rep? There was a few people who said they were last year
    I am! I have all my signatures already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

"the two sweetest words in the english language";)

Advertisement