Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food for Depression!

• 18-09-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I suppose you've heard the story a million times before on here so I'll spare you the attention seeking crap. Basically, my family+friends don't have a clue how I'm feeling and to be honest I wouldn't know what to say or how to say it if I were to talk to them. I've been "depressed" (hate saying it like that but hey) for 3-4years now. Some days are great and I have a good social life, other days I just wish I'd never been born. When I say it like that it just sounds like I 'get the blues' now and again but every NIGHT I'm depressed it's just that some days are ok if I keep busy or I'm with friends. yada yada yada...I know what you're thinking ; "whatever depresso" :)

Anyways, what I'm asking is this. I heard that there are certain foods you can eat which helps with when you're feeling sad. Can anyone suggest some? And please don't say go to a doctor because I'm only 15 and I can't have my family knowing which they will through my doctor. Otherwise I'd be poppin happy pills and wouldnt be wasting your time

Sorry if this is bullsh1t

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not quite like that.

Certain foods make people prone to mood swings, e.g. fill a 6 year old with a bottle of coke and two mars bars. Watch him run riot for an hour. Eventually the sugar wears off and the sudden drop in mood will make him into a right crank.

Such is the situation with high sugar (sucrose) and other processed foods, expecially those with certain additives like caffeine, phenylalanine, guaranine. The give brief highs and longing lows.

Sticking with things like fruit (fructose a different "slow burn" sugar) and your basic healthy food pyramid are good for you. http://www.healthysteps.ie/healthy/pyramid.asp

However, food can't cure you. Acknowledging that you have an issue (not necessarily a problem) and dealing with it, either with your family or a trustworthy outsider (aunt / uncle, teacher, school counsellor) might. Can you say why you don't want to discuss it with your parents?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

OK, I will not give you the "go see counselor pep talk." I was a depressed teen, but not any more, so I know what you may be going through.

You are 15 and still in the physical growth stages of your life. Your body is going through massive changes that can affect your mood (depression is a mood disorder that can have both physical and mental causes). Proper food, vitamins, sleep, and exercise can help a lot. Some suggestions along these lines:

1. Three Squares! Do you get at least three balanced meals a day? These meals should have milk, vegetables, grains, fruit, and protein (meat, fish, or soy). Don't worry about all the low carb fadish adult talk, you need carbs while growing. Stay away from fast foods, they are full of cr*p! And cut back on the soft drinks, sugary desserts, candy, gum, coffee, and tea. If you are smoking, sneaking booze, or doing recreational drugs, STOP!

2. V-Power! If you are not taking a daily multi-vitimin with minerals, start, preferably in the morning with breakfast (but in any case, with food, cause it can upset your stomach if eaten alone).

3. The Sleeping Giant! Your body needs at least 8 hours of sleep every night if it's to take on the world while awake.

4. Be Sporting! Join a sport or train in martial arts. I say join or enroll in training because trying to exercise by yourself, for most of us, does not last. We all seem to give up after awhile. Also, sports and martial arts are physically demanding, and strenuous exercise will make you more fit, and increase your self-esteem. If you are wondering "which martial arts would be best for you," post a question on the martial arts forum found under the Sports section on these boards. Oh, don't go overboard and pick more then one thing to start, cause then you will exhaust yourself and probably quit.

Parting Shots. As you may have guessed by now, in addition to my full-time day job, I am a part-time instructor (1-dan black belt in Taekwondo, which is both an Olympic sport and a martial art), and teach children, teens, and adults, as well as judge, ref, and compete in tournaments. So I tend to jump-up-and-down sometimes about fitness and diet (while at the same time getting in a few kicks and punches). Oh, I am by no means perfect, every once in a while failing to heed my own advice (and falling on my face), but I always jump back up and keep trying.

If you want to discuss this in more detail, you can post here or PM me. If you PM me, I will keep whatever we discuss in confidence.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Ive never heard of any magic helpers like, I was told by my doc and counsellor, just eating healthy, regularly and getting sleep like the previous poster said is all that you can do in that area. Its not a cure in any way but it basically means you wont be tired and sluggish which obviously are downers themselves. I've heard Green tea seems to be doing really well for some people when they are feeling low (i even heard it helps reduce cancer risk too), More than likely it just gives us a needed mineral or something that we could use. It's very relaxing for me which obviously helps me not depress.

It phyiscally upsets me when people go through pain for no good reason. Does anyone know if the op can see a doc but as long as the op doesnt get drugs can it be kept between them? Cant imagine a doctor ringing the parents saying they just chatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Peaadina

Eat regularly, lots of fruit and veg. I have heard that almonds and sunflower seeds can help moods, and yhey are good as a healthy snack.
    You could find out if you difficient in any particular vitamins and get advise from a dietician.

I find if I have lots of bad stuff, like caffine, chocolate etc I feel crap after a while in everyway!

Hope you feel better soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Couple of Fluoxetine hydrochloride pills (Prozac) a cup of tea and couple of slices of toast with marmalade should do the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

1. Three Squares! Do you get at least three balanced meals a day? These meals should have milk, vegetables, grains, fruit, and protein (meat, fish, or soy). Don't worry about all the low carb fadish adult talk, you need carbs while growing. Stay away from fast foods, they are full of cr*p! And cut back on the soft drinks, sugary desserts, candy, gum, coffee, and tea. If you are smoking, sneaking booze, or doing recreational drugs, STOP!

Sorry i respectablely disagree with that and think you need to have 5-6 smallish meals a day rather then three square meals. As this will stop you having asny insulin spikes in your system and keep a steady flow of nutrients going into your system so you'll be at a nice steady level all day.

Also look into getting an omega-3 oil supplement as this is nesscary to healthy mental functioning and a huge proportion of the western world is deficent in it. I reccomend either fish oil, not cod liver oil!, or flaxseed oil.

As was stated avoid any sugary/ non nutritious food completely especially at breakfast time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dats_right wrote:
    Couple of Fluoxetine hydrochloride pills (Prozac) a cup of tea and couple of slices of toast with marmalade should do the trick!
    Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Sorry i respectablely disagree with that and think you need to have 5-6 smallish meals a day rather then three square meals. As this will stop you having asny insulin spikes in your system and keep a steady flow of nutrients going into your system so you'll be at a nice steady level all day.

Also look into getting an omega-3 oil supplement as this is nesscary to healthy mental functioning and a huge proportion of the western world is deficent in it. I recommend either fish oil, not cod liver oil!, or flaxseed oil.

As was stated avoid any sugary/ non nutritious food completely especially at breakfast time.
    Completely agree with the above, and fight the urge to have some sweet food (like a sugary danish) after a meal, as these snacks tend to give you a short term boost and then leave you low and lethargic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Oranges always make me feel good :) they are like little balls of sunshine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Layla1981

depression on some occasions can be as a result of chemical imbalance which can be treated by medication.

food for depression sounds silly to me. got to get to the root of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Sorry i respectablely disagree with that and think you need to have 5-6 smallish meals a day rather then three square meals.

Well actually, some people cannot stomach 3 sizeable meals a day and I know that some people are recommended to eat smaller portions more frequently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

5-6 smallish meals may indeed be ideal but three _healthy_ meals a day is also fine and certainly more than most people do in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't usually post but I thought for this one I would make an exception. I have been through almost exactly what you are describing. I first got seriously depressed at 15. I didn't want my family or anyone else to know so I didn't go to the doctor. I got through school and college and only first sought help at 22. In my experience depression is not something that just goes away and there is no substitute for professional help. Diet and exercise though good things in themselves, but could only have very limited benefits for depression as the problem is psychological.

I recommend you do this: Go to your GP. Tell him how you have been feeling and say you would like to be referred to a psychologist. If at all possible try to avoid medication and the psychiatric system. A psychologist will not only give you support but will help you work through your problems. Terry Lynch has written an excellent book called 'Beyond Prozac' on how people can overcome their difficulties without medication. I advice that you read it as it will save you repeating other peoples mistakes in terms of where to seek help and advice.

Don't let stigma or anything else prevent you from seeking help. A lot more people than you think go to see psychologists/therapsist at some stage in their lives. There really is no shame in it. Tell your parents you feel you need professional help. Make clear how important it is. Look after yourself number one. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

Hi OP,
    I don't think food is the issue here at all really, judging from what you've said.
    You are only 15, but you have been depressd for 3-4 years??? Not doubting you at all, but that's rare to be depressed from the age of 11.
    I am not making light of your feelings at all (we were all young once!!), but you could just be suffering general teenage angst! If you really think its clinical depression you should of course seek medical help/advice. I think you will find any doctor would be very accomodating and understanding if you speak to them. Or how about your parents??? Parents were young once too :D , I'm sure they love you very much and you'd be surprised how good it would feel to talk to them about your feelings.
    Basically, there's no miracle food for depression or teenage angst or sadness etc. Just don't go around thinking you're depressed or there's something wrong with you (let a doctor tell you that!) - more than likely you are a perfectly healthy typical teenager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

One food Bananas !!!!!!

Containing three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

Providing energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect way to beat high blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit t hat can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer, tryptophan.

Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine," eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills.

When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

There is a strong link with mood and food. I suffered from stress and anxiety in the past and was advised on some foods at that time.
    Blueberries (Vit C + help with endorphins allegedly), barley (B vits), nuts and seeds (amino acids), bananas (potassium), walnuts (omegas and magnesium)
    Dont' drink sugary drinks, avoid tea and coffee (unless green tea/herbal). Drink lots of water and as said before, eat regularly.

Raspberries, strawberries, wholemeal instead of white things...

Also make sure and get a good nights sleep and some exercise 3 times a week - you'd be amazed the difference a bit of activity can make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

py2006 wrote:
    Well actually, some people cannot stomach 3 sizeable meals a day and I know that some people are recommended to eat smaller portions more frequently!

I agree, i have had depression since i was 13 and i'm now 27 .I eat a lot of small meals throughout the day, i cut out tea, caffeine and junk food. i eat a lot of raw vegetables and iron rich food. I found fish and fish oils a great mood booster and i try to have fishy based products at least twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Some folks in the know are apparently not recommending getting your omega 3 oils from fish as, most likely, they are taken from the Irish Sea which, as we all know, is horribly polluted.

Personally, I take Udo's Oils (omega 3, 6 and 9 - all from organic sources) whenever possible. However, it is expensive. He comes over here from time to time to give lectures - discusses the need for omega oils in our diet to counter a number of neurological ailments (inc. depression) - and is well worth going along to.

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/udos_oil.html

I get the large bottle from my local health food shop. If you are suffering from depression it is worth checking alternative routes to allaying the ailment such as the above. Be warned though, going the healthy route is often not as dramatically obvious (yet often the better for it) than pills which, in my opinion, seem only to treat the symptoms and not the cause. Avoid saturated fats that you get in processed foods, eat healthy and take exercise. Now, if only I could take my own advice….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Cognitive therapy can be very helpful, if I were you I would go to some one.

I`ve had moderate to severe depression for a number of years (I`m twenty now). It was only in January 06 that I was refered to see someone. I`m still seeing this docotr regularly.

I`m on the SSRI Lexapro. I can understand that people don`t like medicine being over prescribed but saying that pills are useless and should be avoided is silly. Sometimes you need that extra bit of help.

Just medication alone may not help, modifying diet alone may not help. Your best best is combination of things: cognitive therapy, diet, excerise, sleep, medication, talking to someone erc.

Since your fifteen you should tell your parent, they will be supportive.

• Advertisement

"I`m on the SSRI Lexapro. I can understand that people don`t like medicine being over prescribed but saying that pills are useless and should be avoided is silly. Sometimes you need that extra bit of help."

There is no conclusive medical evidence to say that medication for depression works any better than placebo, i.e. sugar tablets, for people who have suffered from depression for more than two years. This is a shocking fact given the number of people that are drugged up every year but it is a fact none the less. A limerick GP (Terry Lynch) has written a book documenting the evidence for effectiveness of medication and has shown that in numerous studies up to 30% of patients actually report feeling worse on medication.

SSRI's and other medications are very addictive and can take up to two years to come down off depending how long you have been on them. Add to this the common nasty side effects like impotence, lack of concentration, fatigue, stiff joints, etc, etc.

Medication can have no effect on the psychological problems, tramas/life experiences, patterns of thinking, ways of relating to others, etc, that bring about depression. So whatever medication does to you it will not make you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Foods high in tryptophan ( a precursor of serotonin) include: turkey, tuna, banana, nuts.

A technique worth trying (from 'Potatoes not Prozac') is eating a complex carbohydrate just before bedtime, at least three hours after your evening meal. Baked potato or wholemeal toast is very suitable. It is important that you don't take any protein (milk etc.) with this.

The theory is that the carbs divert the other amino-acids to your muscles, and away from the blood-brain barrier. Thus the tryptophan can much more easily cross the barrier, where it is converted to serotonin.

One possible side-effect (which lets you know it is working!) is very vivid dreams.

I would agree with the suggestion that you consult your GP, and disagree with the statement that anti-depressants don't work.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

A limerick GP (Terry Lynch) has written a book documenting the evidence for effectiveness of medication and has shown that in numerous studies up to 30% of patients actually report feeling worse on medication.
    so 70% of people feel no difference or better then ;)
    SSRI's and other medications are very addictive and can take up to two years to come down off depending how long you have been on them. Add to this the common nasty side effects like impotence, lack of concentration, fatigue, stiff joints, etc, etc.
    if you want to go down the research route I can pull out a number of papers to show that depression medication is not addictive. But tbh, I'd rather go on my own personal experience that this particular SSRI is very good, very effective, and not addictive at all. The side effects were minimal, and less than those of other SSRI's I tried. But that's my own experience like I said, and different people will react in different ways.
    Medication can have no effect on the psychological problems, tramas/life experiences, patterns of thinking, ways of relating to others, etc, that bring about depression. So whatever medication does to you it will not make you better.
    While I agree that medication will not directly affect the root cause of the depression, they may well help you to bring you back to a level of cognitive capability that leaves you able to actually contemplate dealing with the issues at hand. Without medication there's no way I would have been able to even begin tackling the issues behind my depression, so while therapy was necessary to solve it, the medication allowed me get out of the house to face the therapy in the first place. I was medicated for 18 months and don't regret it for a second. Med-free for 2 and a half years now, and never felt better. Different strokes...

OP don't knock 'happy pills'. There are other ways of tackling depression, but medicating may be something to look into. Explore all your options. And I completely agree with eating regular, small meals to help control insulin levels and resulting moods wings, cut down on refined and processed foods, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and excercise for a good endorphin kick.

Hi OP,
    I don't think food is the issue here at all really, judging from what you've said.
    You are only 15, but you have been depressd for 3-4 years??? Not doubting you at all

Of course you are! But perhaps you're right, maybe I'm not clinicaly depressed. I don't really care what I am but all I know is how I feel. Maybe the term isn't 'depression' but I certainly am down all the time.
    but that's rare to be depressed from the age of 11.
    I am not making light of your feelings at all (we were all young once!!), but you could just be suffering general teenage angst! If you really think its clinical depression you should of course seek medical help/advice. I think you will find any doctor would be very accomodating and understanding if you speak to them. Or how about your parents??? Parents were young once too :D , I'm sure they love you very much and you'd be surprised how good it would feel to talk to them about your feelings.
    Basically, there's no miracle food for depression or teenage angst or sadness etc. Just don't go around thinking you're depressed or there's something wrong with you (let a doctor tell you that!) - more than likely you are a perfectly healthy typical teenager!

Maybe 3-4 years isn't accurate. More like 2-3 years. I guess it developed when I was in 1st year (I'm in transition year now). I know you're all going to think that it's just puberty and I certainly know I'm not the only teenager who gets depressed now and and again but I doubt many of my fellow students feel the way I do. At least I hope they don't.

I don't want to be an attention seeking drama queen because chances are I'm not clinically depressed or whatever the experts want to call it. I know my parents would just think I'm stupid if I told them and I often slag depresso's (not in a horrible way, just the attention seeking ones) with my mates and I wouldn't be able to talk to them.

Anyway, thanks for the advice every1 I'll give it a shot

Thank you g`em, exactly what I was trying to get at sometimes a person needs that extra bit of help.

Where did you get that info unreg200904?, if they have no effect than why on earth would they be prescribed, why would it not help someone whos had it for more than two years. If that was the case I imagine my doctor would not have prescribed it to me. I really hate this "happy pills" are unnecessary and useless attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Where did you get that info unreg200904?, if they have no effect than why on earth would they be prescribed, why would it not help someone whos had it for more than two years. If that was the case I imagine my doctor would not have prescribed it to me. I really hate this "happy pills" are unnecessary and useless attitude.
    There is research that suggests that the drugs are indeed ineffectual. There is also research suggesting that they work. It's an open question, but it is certainly not (at the moment) a ridiculous position to suggest that it's a placebo effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Thank you g`em, exactly what I was trying to get at sometimes a person needs that extra bit of help.

yeah.. i agree with you that sometimes one needs a little extra help.. i was on small doses for a few months, but changed as the first ones were causing me to get worse. But i cam off them myself when i felt ready..after 5 months or so.

However, there is overrescription.. and in certain cases side-effects. In some cases they help, in others they dont and tey have toi be changed.

But the OP doesnt want pills, which is wise if it can betreated by the correct fooods, reducing stress, etc.

"if patients are listened to they will heal them selves".

That I or no one else has refuted.

To compare anti depressants to lobotomies really is stretching it.

There are side effects with most things and most things can become an addiction if not properly managed. The type and dosage depends on the patient and should be careflly monitored. There is no shame in or cowardice in taking anti depressants, I don`t agree with them being over prescribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 flamingo

oh sweetie, there's nothing shameful about recognising that you may need a little bit extra help sometimes ...

and i know that you probably feel all alone with you distress at the minute, especially if you've no one in your life that you feel you can talk to. but you really aren't! the saddest thing, i always think, is the fact that people prefer to keep things like this very quiet and tell no one, but unfortunately that only makes it so much more isolating for everyone else who is feeling depressed.

if you really don't want to go talk to your doctor yet (eventhough this really would be the best thing to do - having the chance to talk about all the difficult feelings you're clearly having to bottle up at the minute would be a relief in itself, i would imagine), is there anyone at all in your life you trust enough to say something to? maybe the parent of a friend? or a teacher? or an aunt? i know this would take incredible guts, but you might be surprised by how supportive and caring people can be when someone they know is hurting.

there was some advice earlier about taking up a sport or some other activity ... not bad advice at all! it'd give you a chance to focus completely on something else altogether, and you may even enjoy metting new people at it!
    also, we know that deliberately planning to do something pleasant every day (Something that you know you enjoy doing or particularly something that gives you a little sense of pride in yourself) can really help with depression - whether it's playing music you like for a period of time every evening, going for a jog, doing something you've been putting off, making yourself a cuppa and sitting talking to your family for a while ...

And it's interesting to note that you yourself have already recognised that being active improves your mood - so you already have evidence for yourself that what you do affects your moods, and that's central to starting to feel a little better!

• Advertisement
Advertisement