Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bungs and all that

• 18-09-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

So apparently this programme tomorrow is going to really mess up one premiership manager who they have on tape demanding or accepting bungs. Also they've an agent naming 6-8 managers who he says would be up for it. I think the bbc lawyers might not allow these names to be aired.

Anyway big Sam has just come out and said his family are concerned about he programme as he's linked with it in a legal way so I reckon it's him on the tape.

Harry Redknapp will probably be implicated(which he really did himself by buying 3 squads in 2 years) but nothing concrete.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Alex Ferguson surely has to be mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was about to post asking about this, because I thought it was to air today.

Redknapp has come out and said he has nothing to worry about, he was approached and 'offered' players but turned the guy down flat.

You have to wonder about the repercussions of this program. Could 6 managers be out of a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Strong rumours that Graeme Souness is one of the main culprits. At least he doesn't have to worry about getting sacked anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Who cares ?
    Sorry everyone is not as squeky clean as Bishop Mike Newell and those saints at the bbc, garth crooks , lawrenson, and the rest of the football focus panel.
    All i know is if i or any of my freinds were offered a sweetener/bung , i'd have a quick look , and grab the paper bag with both hands.
    We live in a society were greed/bribes is a way of life , so do we shake our heads in disbelief that Harry, Sam or Alex took a bribe.
    Do people really care that George Graham took a bung ? probably did arsenal a favour, they got Arsene Wenger .
    No doubt the story or non story will run for weeks, with constant breaking news updates from Sky, similar to when Sven was playing offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebaz wrote:
    Who cares ?
    Sorry everyone is not as squeky clean as Bishop Mike Newell and those saints at the bbc, garth crooks , lawrenson, and the rest of the football focus panel.
    All i know is if i or any of my freinds were offered a sweetener/bung , i'd have a quick look , and grab the paper bag with both hands.
    We live in a society were greed/bribes is a way of life , so do we shake our heads in disbelief that Harry, Sam or Alex took a bribe.
    Do people really care that George Graham took a bung ? probably did arsenal a favour, they got Arsene Wenger .
    No doubt the story or non story will run for weeks, with constant breaking news updates from Sky, similar to when Sven was playing offside.

We also live in a society where people speed in their cars, if they get caugfht they get a fine and points. Rules are broken, pople should be punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thebaz wrote:
    Who cares ?

The fans who spend vast percentages of their money to see their clubs, and who don't want their money used in dishonest ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

what time and station is this show on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

thebaz wrote:
    Who cares ?
    People who care about football care.
    I suppose it doesn't make any difference to the value of an EPL plc portfolio, if that's where you consider 'reality' resides. But if sport isn't supposed to be above the squalor you're so happy to embrace, then what's it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

what time and station is this show on tonight?

Panorama on BBC1 tonight. I think its on 9ish.

Should make for a good show.

johnos wrote:
    People who care about football care.
    I suppose it doesn't make any difference to the value of an EPL plc portfolio, if that's where you consider 'reality' resides. But if sport isn't supposed to be above the squalor you're so happy to embrace, then what's it for?

I care about football !!!
    but dont kid yourself that it is just happening in the EPL, it happens in all walks of life --- even in Ireland !!
    The Premiership sells and bumps up tv ratings , and i believe that is the motivator, for exposure .
    Also there is something strange about the manager of Luton , blowing the trumpet , sounds like a tinge of bitterness!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So you are happy to know that some players are joining your team just because the manager got a bung and for no other reason.

Some strange players were bought by all managers mentioned above and seemed to mysteriously move on without having played many or any games at all.

Everyone knows it goes on but it doesn't make it right.

ciaran76 wrote:
    So you are happy to know that some players are joining your team just because the manager got a bung and for no other reason.

Of course i would care if that was the only reason a player joined -- I support Everton and if Moyes got a bit of a sweetener for signing Andy Johnson I wouldn't care -- The problem is the agent, these guys are greed personified , apparently one of them who has been outed, is on the show whinginging about Premiership managers -- pass the sick bag !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

thebaz wrote:
    Of course i would care if that was the only reason a player joined -- I support Everton and if Moyes got a bit of a sweetener for signing Andy Johnson I wouldn't care -- The problem is the agent, these guys are greed personified , apparently one of them who has been outed, is on the show whinginging about Premiership managers -- pass the sick bag !

I find it odd that you have no problem with a manager lining his pockets at the clubs expense, yet you call agents greedy?

If you found out that Moyes got a sweetener to sell one of your favourite players would you be so blase?

Bungs hurt everyone in the long run, you may get to sign one player because you paid a bung, but you may miss out on another because you won't pay enough, or have a player in your squad unsettled by his agent because there's money under the table in it for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

thebaz wrote:

So Moyes signed Van Der Meyde and he is crap , played handfull of games and has been caught on the beer etc etc. Would you be ok that Moyes got a sweetner for that ?

Look at Houllier (when at Liverpool)and the players he signed and the money the club paid for some of these players? I don't think any fan in their right mind should/would expect this kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking foward to this big time.

Mike.

I find it odd that you have no problem with a manager lining his pockets at the clubs expense, yet you call agents greedy?

If you found out that Moyes got a sweetener to sell one of your favourite players would you be so blase?

Bungs hurt everyone in the long run, you may get to sign one player because you paid a bung, but you may miss out on another because you won't pay enough, or have a player in your squad unsettled by his agent because there's money under the table in it for him.

I agree football is a greedy business at the moment , probably has been for 30 years , but the agent has contributed hugely to this.
    At least a manager , picks, trains, manages, coaches , deals with media/chairman , so if he takes the odd sweetener in bringing a good player to the club - i dont care , it happens in all walks of life , as we know so well !
    But what do agents do , apart from line there own greedy pockets , unstabilise clubs and players - oh ok they get the players some more , much needed dosh .

thebaz wrote:
    At least a manager , picks, trains, manages, coaches , deals with media/chairman , so if he takes the odd sweetener in bringing a good player to the club - i dont care , it happens in all walks of life , as we know so well !

Conveniantly ignoring my question, how would you feel if David Moyes took a sweetener to sell one of your prized assets?

How would you feel if Moyes took a bung to sell Tim Cahill? Or if Thomas Gravesen had moved because of a bung?

Conveniantly ignoring my question, how would you feel if David Moyes took a sweetener to sell one of your prized assets?

How would you feel if Moyes took a bung to sell Tim Cahill? Or if Thomas Gravesen had moved because of a bung?

Moyes wouldn't take a bung just to orchestrate the sale of Cahill , in fact there would only be a tiny percentage of greedy fools who would sell there best players solely for the relative small bung . The decision to sell or buy would be made , and the sweetener would be used to execute the sale or purchase; but i dont believe any manager would sell a prize asset just to get the bung -- maybe i'll be proved wrong tonight -- but most managers are not fools !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

thebaz wrote:
    so if he takes the odd sweetener in bringing a good player to the club - i dont care

If it was a player he wanted anyway, why would anyone be offering sweeteners???

thebaz wrote:
    Moyes wouldn't take a bung just to orchestrate the sale of Cahill , in fact there would only be a tiny percentage of greedy fools who would sell there best players solely for the relative small bung

Brian Clough did it regularly.

You are deluding yourself if you think the only payments are to managers who are signing players they want to have in their squad anyway, hurting nobody in the process. Ask yourself who would pays the bung? Is it right that in the hypothetical case of Johnson's transfer to Everton that it would be unfair on Palace to have to make a payment to David Moyes when two other clubs met their asking price?

How you can't see that illegal payments are wrong no matter who's in receipt is beyond me.

• Advertisement

How you can't see that illegal payments are wrong no matter who's in receipt is beyond me.

I'm not trying to say its right -- but i accept it as a part of an imperfect world - i believe there are worse things going on than bungs, that shoul be investigated by the bbc --
    Do you think the majority of portsmouth fans would start disliking Portsmouth or stop going , just cause Harry took a bung -- i don't think so , maybe i'll be proved wrong !

Anyway i'll watch the program on the Grove instead !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't panic, it's on before the grove programme.(Which Mrs. gosplan has not shut up about all week).

Anyway as regards:
    " -- I support Everton and if Moyes got a bit of a sweetener for signing Andy Johnson I wouldn't care -- "

Well thats a bit easy cause Andy Johnson keeps scoring. Just like right now you wouldn't really care if he had cost 18 million instead of 8.

What if instead of spending 8 million on Johnson, Moyes had spent 4.5 million on Salif Diao as there was a sweetner in it for him?

Now you're getting at the heart of the matter.

Most managers, especially Moyes, would probably put their teams future first and make sure they're at least decent players but you never know where it could lead.

Point in case...Harry F**king Redknapp. Now I'm not accusing the man but he goes to Portsmouth & buys a new squad, leaves for Southhampton & buys a new squad and then goes back to Portsmouth & buys a new squad. If managers took bungs it would be really really proftiable to form new teams.

Mainly it pisses me off though cause it's about premiership managers. I know s**t like that happens everywhere but they get paid loads of cash. Poeple elsewhere get paid loads of cash and are still crooked but I firmly believe that whenever evidence becomes available on that set of bast**ds we should have them locked up.

By the way, the 'who cares' thing is just a really lazy irresponsible attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well all I can say is I hope David Moyes isn't reading this thread! :)

Anyhow surnames Redknapp and Allardyce have been floating around today so it'll be interesting to see if those names come up in this programme. Jeez it's real popcorn stuff this show, I can't wait for some good aul scandal, it better not disappoint! :D It's crazy that we still have this sort of scandal haunting football 10 or so years after Graham, it's very much apparent that it's impossible for football to learn anything when there's so much cash floating about.

gosplan wrote:
    By the way, the 'who cares' thing is just a really lazy irresponsible attitude.
    ooch -- i better grow up and become more responsible so !

Big Sam's name being bandied about a lot so far in the programe. Wonder is he clearing out him deak already. :)

Frank Arnesen, uh oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Liverpool uh -oh.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Frank Arnesen, uh oh!

No surprise, he went to them after an illegal approach.

dreaded to think what was going to be said when the zoom in centred on anfield. Assuming thats the only thing about liverpool, I wouldnt be worried. It was an agent talking to someone at the club and him saying the player could come at 17. I'm happy enough with that.

Arnesen talking money. gobdaw.

Big Sam seems to have his big fingers stuck in a lot of pies.

• Advertisement

No surprise, he went to them after an illegal approach.

Actually, Arnensen brought a lot of kids to Spurs, hope we ain't up to our necks in this...:eek:

lol @ the agents. "we were making it up as a counter sting, to see who you were an dwhat you were up to ", " yeah, hheheh, thats a good one, the'll never catch me now" :D

How stupid is Fat Sam's son? Writing lists of transfers?

:D

Hope Bolton are screwed after this.

It's going to be an interesting late dinner at the Allerdyce house when sam gets his video of all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

no not redknapp . . . please no

• Advertisement

'Ello Arry

Never saw that coming.:D

YES! The eagle has landed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I missed the bloody thing, can anyone give a summary of what was in the program?

It'll be on you tube in about 10 mins!

Mike.

Well Big Sam is slightly fecked I think. The FA are going to need to hang someone out to dry and its going to have to be him.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who felt that entire show was very vague? There was no concrete evidence against anyone, and what I feel is a cock and bull story about the mystery manager, from a mystery club who had just bought a mystery player, who just happened to watch the news when Mike Newell said what he said???

One thing is certain, the producers do not like Bolton, or anyone got to do with them.

For a show which claimed it would 'blow the lid off football', it was didnt actually prove anything.

irish1 wrote:
    I missed the bloody thing, can anyone give a summary of what was in the program?

There were lots of names censored in case of slander or whatever, but Sam Allardyce and his son and 'Arry were exposed in the process of paying illegal agents and making illegal approaches respectively.

Frank Arnesen was also shown making an illegal "approach" for a young Middlesbrough player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

good stuff if you get a link please do post it up. I caught the last 5 minutes and from that I take it Big Sam's son has landed Bolton in it big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

harry got caught on tape saying 'oh yeah, i like Andy Todd, he's a hard bastard, i'll buy him if he's interested in coming here'

at least Sam didn't get caught on camera directly but i don't think that matters really. He's up **** creak.

I'd love to know what other managers were named

gimmick you need to watch it again. Sam was stiched up by his sons big gob.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You can go to the BBC 5live site as well, there's a discussion on it at the moment.

harry got caught on tape saying 'oh yeah, i like Andy Todd, he's a hard bastard, i'll buy him if he's interested in coming here'

Merely stating an opinion, that he likes that player. Dont think there is much wrong with that.
    gimmick you need to watch it again. Sam was stiched up by his sons big gob.

Not arguing with that. But they said they would be doing some mad big exposé, which I dont think happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wonder who was the mysterious January transfer player that was censored and the cluib involved.

Big Sam is fecked.

BBC five live are talking about this naturally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/fivelive/wmp.shtml?6hi

Fernando someone was the big name in January.

Mike.

SofaKing wrote:
    Wonder who was the mysterious January transfer player that was censored and the cluib involved.

Recipient of the £50k had a good command of the French language, didn't he? Either that or a good phrase book...

• Advertisement
Advertisement