Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Play DVDs in USA

• 19-09-2006 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if the DVD's we use here can be watched in the DVD players in America?
    I hnow that VHS tapes we use here can not be used in the VHS players in the US due to the voltage difference
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

DVD's are region coded as are DVD players.

Region 2 DVD is for Europe

Region 1 DVD is for USA

To answer your question about whether the DVD's you buy here can be used in a US DVD player, then no........unless the DVD player is multi region. Multi region DVD players are DVD player that have been "region unlocked" and can play all DVD's from all regions around the world.

You need to find out the DVD player you are looking to play the "Irish DVD" in and you can then get a definitive answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks,

Would the DVD play in a computer in the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Glenman wrote:
    Thanks,

Would the DVD play in a computer in the USA

interesting question - sorry I don't actually know the answer to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

There are lots of widely available free and legal software that will allow you to play any region DVDs on your computer.

google will help

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

No, you have a few options.

1) Change the region code can be done in windows a maximum of 5 times and then it locks.

2) Use something like DVD Decryter to decode and re-encode back to a region free format.

3) There are also DVD Region free programs out there that spoof the region code however I find the majority never work.

I use option 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

layke wrote:
    No, you have a few options.

1) Change the region code can be done in windows a maximum of 5 times and then it locks.

2) Use something like DVD Decryter to decode and re-encode back to a region free format.

3) There are also DVD Region free programs out there that spoof the region code however I find the majority never work.

I use option 2.

Have to disagree here.

Decoding and re-encoding a DVD is a bit of a pain.

Just use VLC media player - it ignores DVD regions and lets you play anything you want.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=vlc+%2B+region+free&meta=

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

one thing that hasn't been stated..european dvds are pal. american dvds are ntsc. not only do you need a region free dvd player you also need one that does pal to ntsc conversion. most american tv's (read vast majority) will NOT take a pal signal..i lived there for 6 years and had this problem constantly.

Advertisement