Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore Guides for a Tikka T3 .223rem

Options
  • 19-09-2006 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Will the stoney point one size fits all be okay in the tikka???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Not sure but I got a different type for my T3 from Continental Shooting Supplies in Dalry.
    Simple design but works well.
    Give them a ring - about 20 sterling as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi ballistic
    I got a stoney point bore guide for my t3 lite and it works very well,get the xl-101 model and it fits perfectly,I got it from the usa on e bay,makes cleaning a lot easier.
    how u getting on with the t3 and which bullets have u tried so far ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

marlin wrote:
    hi ballistic
    I got a stoney point bore guide for my t3 lite and it works very well,get the xl-101 model and it fits perfectly,I got it from the usa on e bay,makes cleaning a lot easier.
    how u getting on with the t3 and which bullets have u tried so far ?

Thank you for your help I bought the same bore guide from John Greene in waterford. I am getting on great. I got my barrel threaded yesterday got the rifle back together and put the ase cqb silencer on. My point of impact at 100 yds didnt budge I couldnt believe it!
    I am using 55 grain accutips and am getting half inch groups. Tried the sako gameheads also but my rifle didnt like them also 64 grain federals (softpoint) these were ok about 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards. Umc 55 grain fmj are shooting well but are too dangerous. 50 grain jhp umc are good to about 100 yards at 200 they are all over the shop. American eagles 55grain fmjs are not good at all in my rifle.
    Shot a fox last night at 150 yards not a move out of him. I missed another at 30 yards!! I was disgusted with my self. All in all it was a good night. All I need now is practice!!

hi ballistic
    looks like ur having the same experience with bullets as me,I think I,ll stick with the 55 gr accutips,deadly on foxes and very accurate in the t3,a little expensive but what the heck.The only bullet I,ve not tried yet are hornaday hoping to get some soon .I,ve put about 350-400 rounds through my t3 so far,most on the range and I find my groups start opening up after 8-10 shots got to let the barrel cool then
    I made a simple set of shooting sticks and never go lamping without them now,,great help
    If u visit a site called www.varmintal.com and go to the bi-fur-pod page u,ll see how to make them and I,ve also got my pic on that page with the t3 and one of the foxes
    good shooting

marlin wrote:
    hi ballistic
    looks like ur having the same experience with bullets as me,I think I,ll stick with the 55 gr accutips,deadly on foxes and very accurate in the t3,a little expensive but what the heck.The only bullet I,ve not tried yet are hornaday hoping to get some soon .I,ve put about 350-400 rounds through my t3 so far,most on the range and I find my groups start opening up after 8-10 shots got to let the barrel cool then
    I made a simple set of shooting sticks and never go lamping without them now,,great help
    If u visit a site called www.varmintal.com and go to the bi-fur-pod page u,ll see how to make them and I,ve also got my pic on that page with the t3 and one of the foxes
    good shooting

I find the sticks great too. I bought a pair of sticks from john o brien in waterford and i find them great. How often do you give your barrel a good cleaning? and did you notice your groups getting tighter after you had fired a couple of hundred rounds.

• Advertisement

hi
    yes I find the groups better now than when the rifle was new,but maybe I,m getting a bit better now with practice too ..lol
    I give the barrel a quick clean after every session even if I only fire a few shots, and a good clean after every 20 . I am using m-pro7 bore gel and hoppes no 9 copper solvent and they seem to do a nice job,use a brass brush a little but not much ,hoping to get a decent scope soon,I,ve got a simmons 6-18x40 now, I thought it was ok but have used a leupold a few times in the past few weeks and now I know the simmons is not great .I thought u had a burris and if so how do u find it ?

Yes I use a burris eurodiamond 3-12 x50. I find it great. Before I bought it I reconed that the ballistic plex would be extremly useful for the longer range stuff. I dont use it at all. Tried it two hundred yards the other day and it put the rounds about five inches high. No matter how much handling the rifle gets it doesnt loose its zero. This scope is bright and clear and gives a good field of view so is great for lamping. The accutips are only about 2 inches down at two hundred. I find that the umc 55grain bullet is much lower at 100 yards and in general they dont have the same trajectory.

The other suprising thing is that at 50 yards the accutips are about three inches down. Anyway I called a fox in the dusk yesterday evening and I nailed him at 150 yards.

Advertisement