Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBA - What books would people recommend?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to teach myself VBA with a particular interest in Excel. I've looked on Amazon and Google and there seems to be a wealth of books written on the subject.

What books have you guys used in the past and would recommend as a good starting point?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Not books but when I was starting with VBA I found Eric Phelps' website handy to see how other people used it. I think there is a help file you can download off the MS website which has a lot of code examples and I use that to learn the syntax of the language. If you can't find it I'm sure I could root it out from an old HD. I still check out Eric Lipperts blog at http://blogs.***n.com/ericlippert/ from time to time which is quite interesting though it's not updated too frequently.

For Excel in particular all I can suggest is recording a few macros and viewing the code. I've only had to use that infrequebtly.

Best of luck!

Edit : the asterisks should be replaced by M S D . Not sure why it's substituting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Thanks for the info it's really helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

First to get a basic understanding of the actual code i would personally recommend to record a macro in excel doing some function then open the VBA editor ALT +F11 in Excell and then stepping through the code and seeing what each line does

This will give you the bare basic's

Then there are a number of websites out there that you will be able to get a good understanding of other areas of VBA coding such as mrexcel
    and MSDN Forums

What will help also is an understanding of how VB works whether it is VB6 or VB.Net

Hope That Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i was doing some VBA coding at work a while back and i got a book in Easons (Excel VBA in easy steps, Ed Robinson) I found it good cos i'd never even coded VB before and it takes you right back to the beginning which was ideal for me. And between the book and the web I was able to do my little task at work! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

fifib wrote:
    i was doing some VBA coding at work a while back and i got a book in Easons (Excel VBA in easy steps, Ed Robinson) I found it good cos i'd never even coded VB before and it takes you right back to the beginning which was ideal for me. And between the book and the web I was able to do my little task at work! :D

I haven't coded be VBA either, but I'll have a look out for that book. I'll need to check out how to create an array, so I can process numeric data through a loop to carry out a few mathematical calculations.

Futher down the line i'm planning to be able to import a text file and try and automate the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Thanks for the info it's really helpful :D

You're very welcome Bill. Thought I had included the link to the Eric Phelps site last time but I appear not to have done so here it is : http://www.ericphelps.com/scripting/index.htm

As I said before if you can download the help file from the MS website it is very useful.

Advertisement