Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom isdn and broadband

Options
  • 19-09-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi there,

a few months i took the risk of installing isdn so eircom would clear up my line and increase the chance of me getting broadband. paid my money, got my second line and worked away with my 128 download speed. Checked the line a few weeks ago and way hey i can now get broadband. Nice one spongebob and friends, thanks. All good. However i see that eircom have increased the range of their broadband service and it had apparently been on the cards for a while, so the broadband sales girl tells me when i order it from her. I'm not happy!!! To get isdn put in i emailed a sales manager, got his email address from this board, spoke to a couple of people and an engineer telling them all that i wanted broadband and why i was installing isdn. Not one of them bothered to tell me that the increased range was being introduced!! And if all that wasn't bad enough the engineer who came to uninstall the isdn takes away the modem i paid for extra!!! Eircom, what a smashing service!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Frankly they were probably not told about the range increase . The decision was taken by a select few in Dublin and pushed out quietly on the 1st of August.

Email yer man and get your modem back .

Its _possible_ that your line was thoroughly checked for faults during the ISDN install which may either

a) give you your pass where you would not pass otherwise
    b) may make the difference between your being able to get 1mbit or 2mbit

but either way and ISDN install is one of the few ways that you can get engineer time on your line

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi just read this thread with interest. I have been trying to get broadband for ages now and Eircom say I cant because Im on a carrier. I had neighbours that got ISDN but then gave it up . I did a test of all the houses near me and the only one that said they could get Broadband was the ones that had ISDN previously. I have ordered a new line for my work and have told Eircom to tell the engineers that it needs to be not on a carrier and that I want broadband. Do you think this will work ??? If im reading rightly if you have your line upgraded to ISDN then you can get broadband by default. My neighbour and I are on the same pole the only difference being that we are on a carrier.

Hopefull the engineer will do the proper installation to enable us to get broadband on the new line. Is there anything else I should be saying to the engineers when they come ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dellas wrote:
    If im reading rightly if you have your line upgraded to ISDN then you can get broadband by default.
    eircom has to remove the carriers/pair gains from a line in order to change it from PSTN to ISDN. In a case where there's not a lot of copper available, that sometimes means that someone else has to be put on a carrier line to free up a "clean" line for the ISDN customer.

So if you can't get DSL solely because you are on a carrier line, but are otherwise within distance of the exchange, and nearby neighbours that aren't on carriers can get DSL, then yes, ordering ISDN and then cancelling it will probably get you a line that will pass for DSL. But if you're close to the distance limits for DSL, even having pair gains removed won't necessarily get you a line that will pass for broadband - but it will improve your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Thats great anythings worth a try at this stage. I know we are not too far from the exchange as it was recently upgraded and the neighbours that I did the line test on are literally 50 meters away . Thanks for the info. They say they will put the line in around the 29th so it will be interesting to see.

Advertisement