Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Line Failure - Greystones Exchange

Options
  • 19-09-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I've been asked by a friend to organise broadband for her. She lives about 2 mins from Blackrock village on Newtownpark Avenue - not "the sticks" by any means.
    However it seems that her line fails for DSL and Smart Telecoms line checker states that she is on the Greystones exchange. WTF?

Is there any way of getting the line moved to a closer exchange - I'm pretty certain that there are two close by -I know of at least the Priory Park exchange.

The line was installed in March 2005 by the way if that is any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dont think smart are in either exchange so it matters not.

try this checker instead

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/Phoneline+Checker/

although I think its not working , NOEEEEEEELLLLLLL !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

That's says fail too, but doesn't tell you the exchange the line is on. Line Number (01) 201xxxx

She'd go with eircom if she had to to get proper broadband. How would one find out if the line has a pair-gain (bad line noise too)?

A bad noise is a fault (bad wiring) pure and simple. Get that sorted first by ringing in a fault to 1901 . If she sorts the noise issue she may pass next time.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    A bad noise is a fault (bad wiring) pure and simple. Get that sorted first by ringing in a fault to 1901 . If she sorts the noise issue she may pass next time.
    The noise is not always there, only sometimes, but I've told her to contact 1901 anyway.

I've tried several lines in that block 01 201xxxx and none pass the Line checker.
    Is there any possibility of getting the line moved to a different exchange?
    How long would the line be if it were on the Greystones exchange (I'm assuming that, contrary to logic, the Greystones exchange is not necessarily in Greystones. )

she is in Dublin not in Greystones FFS

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    she is in Dublin not in Greystones FFS
    ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Is there another line checker that gives exchange information. The Smart line checker tells you what exchange a particular number is on, which makes it a useful tool, even if you can't get Smart broadband.

Foxwood wrote:
    Is there another line checker that gives exchange information.

No but all they do is load up this,

She's called eircom (on the advice of Netsource/Magnet) and they've said it's a routing problem and they will try to sort something out :p
    Hopefully they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No but all they do is load up this,
    I just checked a couple of numbers in Ballinteer, and that spreadsheet says that one of them is served by the Sandyford MSU (Superquinn 01 2989131), one by the Terenure MSU (Ballinteer St John GAA club 01 4061373) and one by the Crumlin MSU (Ballinteer GNS, 01 4944052). Yet according to the Smart checker, the 298 number is served by Dundrum, and the 2 numbers starting with 4 are served by the Ballyboden exchange.

As the worksheet doesn't have any mention of Dundrum, Ballyboden or Greystones, I don't think it's going to be helpful for finding out which exchange a given line is server from!

• Advertisement

There must be another SS so, that ss shows the tandem exchanges but not the RSU level.

Advertisement